PDA

View Full Version : Do they understand?

trinity
09-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Next Monday we will be adopting the stray that we have been feeding for almost a year, Scooter. Actually Monday is the trip to the white coats to make sure everything is ok but that is the "official dat" I guess...anyway, since hubby put some sealant down on our back porch this past weekend and we didn;t want Scooter to get into it( it is a tar like stuff) we moved the Scooter cat into the basement for the week. Yesterday on the way home from work hubby started getting all wierd on me..."Does Scooter really know that we are doing this for his own good? We've taken away his freedom, he can't get out and wander the neighborhood like he is used to doing." My response is that yes we have taken his freedom such as it is but we have given him shelter, safety, food on a regular basis, affection which he didn;t really get on any kind of regular time schedule....so the question becomes, for those of you who rescue and so forth, do they understand that we mean this for their own good? And that we do it out of love, to be sure they are safe and can live their life out to the fullest?:confused:

Laura's Babies
09-14-2004, 08:24 AM
The rescuers will have to answer if he will miss it or not but he will be VERY happy to have food every day whenever he wants to eat. Samantha STILL eats all day, gobbeling it up fast, afraid she won't have anymore later after being so starved for so long.

catmandu
09-14-2004, 08:26 AM
I think,that in a way,they do,but as most strays,have been ill used by people,they have a fear,of the unknown. I know that when,I tried to help,the Starys,that are now found Cats,it was resisted,at first,but afterwards,after they felt better,they appreciated it more!

trinity
09-14-2004, 08:32 AM
He is such a snuggler that I think the major mistreatment was being basically ignored. Make sme so angry! Why do people get a pet and then leave it outside in all sorts of weather and never show it any affection at all? I have made it my duty to give him cuddles every chance I get even before we brought him inside. I think he is getting to like the idea of a soft place to lay down. The first time he started to jump onto the couch in the basement, he kind of pulled his paws back with a "Whoa! That feels wierd! All soft and squishy...." but he has been napping quite regularly on it already. And I know he is happy about not having to fight with the yellow jackets to eat his wet food in the evening...

catnapper
09-14-2004, 08:47 AM
From what I understand, they intitially try to go outside, but after a bit they realize that its really quite nice inside and stop trying to get outside.

Also, rescued cats seem to KNOW they were saved from whatever circumstances they were in, and usualy are quite content to remain with their heroes.

Good luck at the white coats!

catcrazylady
09-14-2004, 08:50 AM
You know Trinity I ask myself the same question from time to time. I have the ex-ferals inside and some of them cry and cry to go out. It breaks my heart and I wonder if it is right. Then I go outside and look at the pitiful faces of the current ferals who would love to have the good life if they got the chance. The battle scars, runny eyes, and no telling what goes on in their daily life.
Not to mention the bodies that end up in the street.:(

Then I come in and pick up my whiny babies and give them this lecture...If the worst thing that ever happens in your life is that you see & smell outside through a window only, then your pretty darn lucky! You are warm in the winter, cool in the summer, you don't have fleas, you have tons of food and fresh water, you have a million places to sleep, and I give you anything you want most of the time. Any ailments are immediately taken care of and your get brushed, snuggled, played with, and loved to pieces. If that's a bad life then I guess you will have to learn how to deal with it!!!;) :D

Thats how I think about it when I begin to wonder if I'm a good meowmie.

trinity
09-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Thank you CCL, I really needed that and I am going to make sure that Hubby reads it as well.....
(Oh yeah, give Magoo and extra cuddle from me please! I just love him! But don;t tell my guys I said that...)

catcrazylady
09-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Your welcome Trinity. I understand completely how you and hubby feel. I decided the kitties are a lot like humans. You know how we always want what we can't have and have a tendency to forget what we do have? I'm just being a good meowmie and reminding the brats of just how lucky they really are!;) :D

edit: Magoo will be hugged for you as soon as I get home!

MULTICATMOM
09-14-2004, 11:22 AM
MY CATS UNDERSTAND ENGLISH:) I JUST TELL THEM WHAT'S HAPPENING. I HAVE 5 INSIDE & 1 THAT PREFERS OUTSIDE...MY CATS HAVE THIER OWN ROOM! THEY COME & GO THROUGH THE WINDOW! I LIVE IN A APT SO THERE'S NO TRAFFIC, ONLY A PARKING LOT. OF THE 5, 4 ONLY LEAVE TO PEE, 1 LOVES TO LAY OUT:D :D ,3 WERE SEMI-FERAL ON RESCUE... I CAN LEAVE MY DOOR OPEN & THEY DON'T GO OUT!!
I THINK THEY DO UNDERSTAND!! THEY LIVE THE GOOD LIFE, PURINA, WATER, THEY SLEEP WHEREVER THEY WANT, TOYS, KITTY CONDO & LOTS OF LOVE & UNDERSTANDING!!