PDA

View Full Version : A Proper Introduction For Kirby....

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 06:23 AM
And a Huge Thank You to Laura for designing such a touching and special signature for Kirby. Kirby is one of my most special kitties, and he was born with a condition called "radial aplasia" which translates to absence of bone in the forearm. It is a genetic mutation of the polydactyl (better known as double-pawed) gene. Kirby and his littermates were turned over to a kill shelter that has since closed it's doors due to budget cuts. I spotted him and his sister in the backroom where the public's not allowed, and wanted both.His sister's legs were as crippled as Kirby's and she looked like my Sweet Pea, white with grey on her head. The shelter staff who I'd known for several years wondered why on earth "I'd want a cat like that..when there's so many healthy ones in need of homes"? I already had another radial aplasia cat who was rescued from the streets emaciated, not neutered and terrified (RIP Sweet Willy:( ) and was in awe of how much he could do. The vet for the shelter, who is also one of my vets, apparently was up there doing a health check on all the incoming cats, and peeked at Kirby and his sister and put in a good word for me. Kirby's sister never made it out alive though, she had runny eyes and was declared unhealthy. :( I would have taken her in a heartbeat too. But I have to count my blessings that Kirby made it out, and into my heart, and life. He is very affectionate and well mannered, and gets around remarkably well for a cat as crippled as he. He is a very special boy! ;) :D :p :)

catcrazylady
09-14-2004, 06:49 AM
OMG! I have tears galore over such a touching story and then Laura's picture tribute to Kirby. Not only is Kirby a very special boy but I think his Meowmie is a very wonderful and remarkable woman!!!
God Bless you Jan for all you do and especially for all the love that you show these special needs babies. What a blessing you are.
Laura that is beautiful and so very touching. You also have a special place in your heart for the special needs babies and it shows in all the beautiful work that you do.

Special kitties and very special people!:) :) :)

christa
09-14-2004, 06:55 AM
I LOVE IT! This is such an awesome tribute!

catnapper
09-14-2004, 07:39 AM
A truly special tribute to a truly special boy! All these cats with "defects" that nobody else would adopt are finding loving homes with PTers... blind kitties, deaf kitties, crippled kitties. Where else will you find a group of people so loving to open their hearts and lives to such needy cats?

I think that the world could learn a lesson from all of you! To see these "disabled" cats thriving and happy in their homes. Its a truly special thing!

Jods
09-14-2004, 07:42 AM
That's a great story and a great picture and little poem Laura... Kirby is a very handsome kitty.... hugs to Kirby

Laura's Babies
09-14-2004, 07:47 AM
OK! Thanks QSL... Now I know his story. Thses Special Needs Kitties are SO special that I love being able to make these things for them and as I told QSL, maybe Kirby can do for kitties like him, what Magoo has done for blind kitties. There is NOTHING wrong with these kitties, they are just a little different. No matter what their problem, they KNOW what LOVE is and they all need it!

jazzcat
09-14-2004, 08:03 AM
That is a beautiful tribute to a very special cat.

catmandu
09-14-2004, 08:31 AM
You ,are a Very Special Hero,to take in,and give a Happy Home,to a Special Needs Cat,and we all Thank You,So Very Much,for caring!

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 09:44 AM
One of Kirby's most favorite games is boxing at the kitty shadows outside the door! I have French doors that are frosted, and have lace contact paper to allow privacy in the upstairs rooms without it being so dark. Kirby loves to box at the kitties he 'sees' through the glass LOL! And he hunkers down on his shoulders and peeks under the door to try and see who's out there. :D I try opening the door from the outside, and "Kirbstone" will be blocking it! He scared me to death a bit over a year ago, when he was crying in pain, and not able to get around well. I dashed him to the vets in a well padded carrier, and had to leave him there. :( It took a while for them to get around to seeing him, and by the time they did he was fine! It turned out he had popped his hip out of the socket! :eek: It happened one other time, and thankfully he hasn't had any problems since. He needed time to build up his hind quarters as they are his main means of transportation. He leaps 4 feet with no problem, and reminds me of a kangaroo! And he also has crash pads beside the bed to pad his legs while jumping down. He's a very sweet boy! :D

K & L
09-14-2004, 10:52 AM
You're a remarkable woman to take in all these special needs babies!

carla and mike
09-14-2004, 02:46 PM
What a beautiul design and poem for such a perfect cat!!:)

NoahsMommy
09-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Sweet Kirby,

Its wonderful to meet you, sweet boy! We're very happy you have a wonderful meowmie who loves you even more because you're special.

Love,
Kelly and the furkids :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Thank goodness you spotted Kirby and she ended up with you, It's amazing how well handicapped cats cope with their disabilities. They are truly an inspiration. (And YOU are too!!!)

(((HUGS)))

Julie

rg_girlca
09-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Oh Jan, what a heartwarming story about your special boy Kirby.
I can't believe how quick they are to put disabled kitties to sleep.
Don't they realize how much they can offer a person. Geesshh.

Like I had mentioned before, your new signature brought tears to my eyes as it is such a beautiful tribute to your handsome boy Kirby.

Great job Laura.