PDA

View Full Version : Butter has a lump

Logan
09-29-2001, 09:19 AM
And I have no idea what it is! The only time I can really love on him is when he's eating. Last night, I gave him some fancy feast and was scratching his neck and right above his collar, at the base of his head is a big lump, about the size of half a golf ball? I'm having a hard time thinking of something to describe it. It is round, but not really noticable until you rub the back of his head. And of course, I can't examine too closely because he gets so mad at me.

I wonder if something stung him? It is still there this morning, but I haven't been able to catch him at his food bowl to look more closely (with my "old lady" glasses on). He acts like he feels ok, but something isn't right, obviously.

I'll take him to the vet over the weekend if it gets larger or he starts acting funny. But I'm hoping that I don't have to go to the ER and can see my own vet on Monday. He doesn't work on Saturday.

Say a little prayer for him...or keep him in your thoughts. He's my only little boy and i want him to be ok.

Logan and her sweet/not so sweet Butter

tatsxxx11
09-29-2001, 09:35 AM
Oh no, little Butter boy :( That was my first thought too, Logan. Maybe a response to a bite or sting? Of course Butter will be on my prayer list. Don't worry your mama now, Butter. Let us know if you go to the vet Logan! Blow a kiss to Butter for me :)

Pam
09-29-2001, 10:51 AM
Gee Logan I hope your little boy is going to be OK. I agree that it might be something as simple as a sting of some sort. Here's hoping.... Guess you'd better bring a can of Fancy Feast to the vet's if you wind up taking him in. Sounds like that's the best way to be able to examine this little boy and come away unscathed! :D

Logan
09-29-2001, 11:19 AM
OK...update. I got him to come in and eat. Either I was overeacting this morning (could be...it scared me) or the lump has decreased insize. Compare it to a quarter maybe...still worried, but I'm going to force him to stay inside today :eek:, so I can watch him. He's acting quite like himself, so that at least makes me feel better.

Thanks for the good wishes, Sandra and Pam. I'll keep you posted.

Logan

zippy-kat
09-29-2001, 03:34 PM
I love that "blow a kiss to him!" lol too cute!

Is he really that aggressive/cranky?

Butter Boy, I hope all is well with you! Tinker likes to roll in ant beds :rolleyes: so we have to watch her & make sure she doesn't get bit! Clarice would rather EAT the ants.

Logan, maybe he did get bit and it's starting to go down. I hope that's the cause anyway. It's reassuring to hear he is acting himself!

Love to all!
Tonya

Logan
09-29-2001, 05:31 PM
Oh, Tonya, he really is "that bad".....I just got a reminder when I tried to check him when he wasn't eating!!

The lump is still the same size, and tender, but he is eating, sleeping, fighting, etc.....I can't find any punctures, so I think he must have been stung by some bug...who happens to be worse than him! :)

I am less worried....but will feel better when it is gone.

Thanks for the concern.

Logan

kgeorge
09-29-2001, 05:55 PM
I hope your okay Butter, your Mom is probably so worried about you, I will say a prayer for you. Let us know how everything turns out. :p

Logan
09-29-2001, 11:39 PM
Oh Chuck I hope you are feeling better. I think that Butter must have been bitten by some bug that is "badder" than he is!! LOL! He still has the lump, but is his normal mean self tonight......I love him anyway.

While I was at dinner with a friend tonight, we were discussing his problems...she said that even though she has four cats, she would have given up on Butter ages ago!!!! No way, he is my baby boy and is here for a reason..even if I haven't figured it out yet. :eek:

zippy-kat
09-30-2001, 02:12 AM
Logan! lol That "I haven't figured it out yet" cracked me up! (I wonder that about our cats daily! lol)

Butter's a Wonder Cat! You wonder why you keep him, wonder why he's cranky, wonder what his purpose is, wonder what his bump was caused by,...!

As for his purpose: he's a furry space-taker-upper that has his own purr-sonality and temperment that can never be replaced and oddly enough, you find yourself desperately in love with the tuff guy. Hmmmmm....maybe it's that whole bad boy/good girl attraction type thing?! lol

What can I say Pet People are (literally) FUR MAGNETS! :D (And this alone causes you to be a good candidate for FAA, Fur Addicts Anonymous, of course!)

Maybe this was in another post, but I was wondering what his story was/is? Did he use to be a feral cat? He sure is a beautiful boy! Hope he feels better soon!!!

Purrs & ear sritches...
Tonya

PS: Thought this was cute...I called Mom & Dad tonight. Tinker is OBVIOUSLY feeling better. Mom went to find Dad & pass the phone over to him. In her searching she yelled "HEEYYYYYYY.....!!!"
Tinker was ON THE COUNTER TOP helping herself to a slice of Hamburger Pizza! LOL Tink let out a disgusted "ERRRRRRRRRR..." which I'm pretty sure translated into "Damn! I Got Caught!" :D

Logan
09-30-2001, 07:30 AM
Butter's a Wonder Cat! You wonder why you keep him, wonder why he's cranky, wonder what his purpose is, wonder what his bump was caused by,...!

Hehehe!!! That's so funny! :D

I don't think Butter falls into the feral cat catagory. I know a lady that fed him for about six months before he moved on to my house. She didn't let him inside though. I think he just kept looking until he could fine the biggest sucker. That would be me! I do wish I knew his history.

At least I know Mimi's history...her mama and daddy were brother and sister! :eek:

Lump still there, maybe a bit smaller. And he is going strong this morning! I think our Lumphead :p is going to be just fine. Worried Mom is better now. Thanks for all the support! :)

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

tatsxxx11
09-30-2001, 09:03 AM
Phew!!!!!!!! Butter, you really had your mama, and all of us, worried! :eek: So glad to hear you're doing better Butter Boy!!

AvaJoy
09-30-2001, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry to read about Butter's lump, and maybe my experience will be encouraging.

When Lily arrived on our doorstep several years ago, she was sporting a half golfball size lump at the same spot as Butter. The vet determined it was a combination growth/cyst, and after aspirating the cyst twice (it kept returning) Lily underwent surgical removal. Thankfully the growth was not cancerous, and there is no scar or any sign of her surgery at all. So don't worry; since it has decreased in size hopefully it will prove to be nothing serious.

Logan
09-30-2001, 03:55 PM
My little buddy is still "lumpy", but gave me a good whipping on my right arm this morning, so he is still spunky! LOL! :D

BUT........the greatest thing happened this afternoon, and I knew you would all understand why I am so happy. I'm under "doctors orders" to rest..got a little back problem that isn't healing very well. So, I'm enjoying the doctor's orders, lying on my couch under a blanket, watching football, and low and behold, guess who came and went to sleep on my legs?? BUTTER!!! I was scared to even wiggle an inch, and I made myself not touch him. This is a first!! He went to sleep, the phone rang, and no way was I moving to go answer it! LOL! He stayed about 10 minutes, then moved over to the chair next to the couch. He has made my day!!! (Just hope it isn't that lump affecting his brain :eek: )

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

zippy-kat
09-30-2001, 07:56 PM
Ahhhh...Mr. Wonder Butter is turning into a softie!

gini
10-01-2001, 09:46 AM
Logan, I hope you are feeling better soon.
I have followed your posts about Butter and the scratches he can give you on a moment's notice. When Rascal entered my life, he too, was "quick pawed". He was about a year and a half when he showed up and somebody has done something to him to make him very cautious about where you touch him. He always wants to know where your hands are......and as if in anticipation of you hitting him he strikes out first. It has taken a long time to get him over that. The only thing I knew to do is to keep saying
"NO" in a loud voice to him and then leave him alone....ignore him.

Now, it is very rare that he does it with me, but I have to warn strangers. Rascal is very very friendly, but if he feels threatened by a stranger he can still lash out.

I hope the lump just disappears, but keeping a close eye on it is a good idea. Hope he doesn't have to visit the "white coats"
as Phred says.

purrley
10-01-2001, 09:58 AM
Logan - hope your Butter is doing better now. I think I've mentioned your Butter looks so much like my Braydee. That lump must be very painful if he lashes out when you touch him - no matter how much you're loved by a cat - pain will always cause this behavior - it's a good thing really, then we know something is wrong. God Bless Butter and you too - you must have been so very worried!!!!

catwoman
10-01-2001, 11:49 AM
Logan,

I sure hope Butter the Wonder-kitty is feeling better! Congrats on the snuggle-time ...

Dianne

RachelJ
10-01-2001, 12:42 PM
Hope you all don't mind my checking in on this side, but I had to see if there was any news on Butter. I am glad that you and he were able to share some special time together. Maybe he feels your pain. We're worried about the both of you so please take care.

Logan
10-01-2001, 05:49 PM
Our "Wonder Butter" is doing better, I think. You know, I watch his every move and try to interpret it! :rolleyes: He has spent part of the day on my bed, sleeping, and now after a quick romp outdoors, he is in my office, sleeping on the back of the "reading" chair.

The lump is smaller, even today. I dreamed about my vet last night and wondered if that was a sign I should take him in...but then figured "NO"....you'll be there soon enough with someone!! I simply can't lift my puppies in the car right now to take them for their "weigh in", but if for some reason our Butter was worse, we'll be there in a skinny minute.

Thanks everyone, Zippy Kat, AvaJoy, Rachel, Sandra, Pam, Kgeorge, Spencer, Gini, Purrley, catwoman, and anybody else, who even thought about Butter, for giving me good advice and encouragement. Carrie, you were wonderful on the Instant Messenger, guiding me right along in my concern, as always.

Butter says thanks...and he will continue to "try" to be a more thankful kitty. It might take a while, but there's hope now...and we do love him so! :D

tuxluvr
10-01-2001, 07:57 PM
Logan, glad to hear you and Butter are recuperating. I think I love the "cat with a 'tude" the best...Butter sounds a bit like Ritz - she craves attention, but snuggles on HER terms only. It's amazing how much I find myself catering to her feline whims.

My friend has a cat - I stayed at her home during a family death, she told me the cat did not take well to strangers. I woke up that night with said kitty sleeping on my thigh, purring loudly enough to rattle tooth fillings. So much for the fear of strangers

As to unexplained lumps, my mother had a white cat named Linka who developed an unknown swelling on her back, at the base of her tail - it had to be drained, but after an embarrassing shave and a few well-placed antibiotics, she was good as new. It was never clear what caused the localized infection.

give Butter a little kiss on the forehead--or perhaps just blow a kiss if touching isn't permitted ;)

zippy-kat
10-01-2001, 09:38 PM
Carrie, you were wonderful on the Instant Messenger, guiding me right along in my concern, as always.

Logan, shamey-shamey on you....haven't shared your IM name w/ the rest of us! LOL jk jk :p

Logan
10-02-2001, 11:27 AM
It appears that our "lumpy" Butter is "lumpless" now!! Yippee!!! Must have been a bug bite...that's the only explanation I can think of.

We noticed this morning that he is learning to "answer" us. What fun! :D If you look at him and ask him a question, he cries his response. He has that loud Siamese yell, so he definitely lets you know what he wants! :eek: My precious Shrimp Boat, who has been gone for a long time used to "chirp" at me when I asked her questions and talked with her. I loved it!!

thelmalu99
10-02-2001, 11:46 AM
Logan, sorry I missed this. My computer crashed big time on Friday and I only just got it back. :mad:
I'm so glad that mysterious lump disappeared. Please tell butter that I'm glad he's ok and I'm thinking in his direction.
Those babies sure do scare us sometimes.

tatsxxx11
10-02-2001, 05:01 PM
Great news Logan! Butter seems to be coming around in every way! All that lovin' and southern hositality! :D So glad you didn't have to lift the girls for the weigh in! Get someone to help you!!!!!! Butter, I think you're melting into a bit of a mush pot! :)

Golden Smiles
10-02-2001, 05:10 PM
Logan~ Hi there, i just now read all the posts about Butter, I am so glad he is okay, and the lump is gone! :) You must be so relieved! And, I bet you were smiling like mad when he laid down w/ ya, see, that's why ya keep him!! LOL He is a good boy after all! Like I told you on the GR chat, I love that name!!! (sugarbear from GR)

Logan
10-02-2001, 09:47 PM
Terri!!! I had no idea it was you!!! I'm so glad to know who "Golden Smiles" is now, and boy do you have a lot of them!!!

You guys, Terri is on the GR board and she has 4 Golden Retrievers. Had 16 puppies at one time earlier in the year!! :eek: Plus, Terri, I think you have 2 cat?? Can't remember, but welcome to Pet Talk. I'm so glad to see you checking in!!!

Thanks everyone for all the good warm fuzzies about Butter....we can only hope he is turning into "mush"!!! :D

zippy-kat
10-03-2001, 09:46 AM
Hi there Golden Smiles! Welcome to the fur-family!! Any friend of Logan is a friend of ours!

thelmalu99
10-03-2001, 10:45 AM
Hi Terri,
Welcome to Pet Talk!
Looking forward to chatting with you!
Thelma

zippy-kat
10-09-2001, 12:19 PM
Farruska~ How many kitties do you have? I have two but they actually live with my Mom and Dad. (I'm in college.) I've posted pics of Tinker before...I really need to post a pic of her momma, Clarice (aka Reece or Reecey).

Spencer~ As always, you are a wonderful source of information!

Logan
10-12-2001, 11:21 AM
I'm back to the "lump" story again because last night, Butter came in with his little head all bloody. He actually let me clean him up and I could see a distinct clean puncture wound, plus another sore underneath it. I did the Neosporin, and took him to the vet this morning. He was "swollen" again this morning for the first time in almost two weeks.

Dr. Robinson says that it is an abcess (sp?) from what was probably a bite from another cat (hate to say this, but probably my own cat, Mimi) or other animal. It is really draining and he got a shot to help it heal, and also an antibiotic shot to help with potential infection.

Of course, I'm thinking "brain tumors" and all sorts of morbid stuff, but he will be fine!! :D And I am so relieved, and a bit guilty for not taking him in earlier. But until yesterday, I couldn't see any sign of an injury.

Mystery solved at least for now.......But you guys would have gotten a kick out of seeing me at the vet. I took both Golden Retrievers, as Honey has an ear infection, and Lilly needed to be weighed! :eek: Only our senior girl, Mimi, was healthy enough to get to stay home!! :)

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

purrley
10-12-2001, 11:34 AM
Logan - when you first posted about Butter's lump I did think of absess and why I didn't say anything I dont know but I feel bad about that. I had a cat years ago that was always going to the vet because of another cat bite. In this case it was her tail getting bitten all the way through and this happened more than once. The vet said almost always when a cat bites another cat it will turn into an abcess. Sorry I didn't mention this before. But sounds like you now have everything under control. Poor Butter - must have been painful and by the way did I mention that your Butter looks exactly like my Braydee - I was thinking about that last night. Honestly they could be twins - I just wish I could get a picture of him on here. Maybe soon. Good luck with your precious babies :)

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

Logan
10-12-2001, 12:15 PM
Oh, Purrley, don't worry about not saying anything. That lump was huge, but there was absolutely no sign that there was any kind of bite, that's why we assumed a sting. And when it went down, I quit worrying. At least he has the medication he needs and he will get better. They didn't have to shave him either, so that was a blessing! If I could only make him stay indoors, without the threat of him tearing up my house, which he would do! :eek: And of course, if Mimi is the culprit, which is very likely, it may have happened inside anyway!

Our Butter will be fine, I'm sure. But thanks for the good thoughts..he needs all he can get!! LOL!

TheAntiPam
10-12-2001, 12:28 PM
Logan and Butter - I'm glad you have an answer now to the lump mystery. After reading so many stories of difficult medical conditions and sad results, its nice to hear that some things are fairly simple to understand and fix, once they are known.

It sure would be easier if our pets could just TELL us whats wrong!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

zippy-kat
10-12-2001, 01:03 PM
OH Mr. Wonder Butter! What have you gotten yourself into now? You be a good boy and let Momma take care of you. (Kisses and cuddles aren't as bad as you might think!)

Logan, I'm glad the mystery is solved. Poor Butter, seems like he's been through a lot these past couple of weeks. If he'll let ya, give him an ear skritch for me. Give Honey a kiss and tell her to get better as well!

thelmalu99
10-12-2001, 01:42 PM
Oh, poor Butter! It must have been so scary to see him all bloody like that!
I'm so glad this was nothing serious!
Hope he feels better soon. :)

yorkster
10-12-2001, 03:28 PM
Poor Butter! I am glad to hear he is doing better, and the mystery is solved. Give him extra loves today.

catwoman
10-12-2001, 04:39 PM
Logan,

I'm so glad that Butter is healing up well ... and that your vet survived the group visit! :D

Dianne

AdoreMyDogs
10-12-2001, 05:09 PM
Oh my...I missed this post! You must have been so terrified! I know I would have been. Poor Butterboy :( I am glad he's back and feeling better and hope that bump goes away. That must have been a trip to see you with 2 big dogs and Butter at the vets :) I bet you were exhausted after that experience :) That's quite a job!

Well you get better, Butter. And Mimi...no more biting!

AmberLee
10-12-2001, 05:15 PM
So glad that Butter is better and that you, the vet, and all the fur-sters survived the visit!

Cyber hugs at ya!

Logan
10-12-2001, 06:53 PM
Ha Ha Ha!!! I love all of your responses. :D

As for isolating him from Mimi, Chuck, I don't think so. They do a pretty darn good job of that on their own, and in Mimi's defense, we have no idea if she is the culprit. But if she is, it is because she feels threatened by him, and always has, even though he NEVER starts anything. But when she starts, he certainly joins in! In fact, I'm surprised she doesn't have an absess too at this point. Please understand that it is not a constant fight at this house, just periodically, not even every day.

Did I tell you guys about the time we found a whole cat claw stuck in his head?????? :eek: No joke!!!

He's an indoor/outdoor cat, who should have long since lost his virility and testosterone...10 months later, he is still "all boy", at what is estimated as about 4-5 years old. And like my vet said today, he's a stray, and there are somethings, like fighting, that you will never take away from him. And he did not even suggest that I try to keep him inside. It just isn't possible with his love of paper and destructive nature...when he wants out, he wants out, and frankly I don't have the energy to try and separate them in my small house, and I certainly can't do it when they are both outdoors.

4 feline house
10-12-2001, 09:51 PM
Logan, I too immediately thought of abcess, but since I came on the post late, it had already gone down by the time I read about it, and I figured it probably wouldn't have shrunk if it had indeed been an abcess. So, I didn't say anything either. Bless his little heart. Those things can sometimes make them really sick, so he's lucky this time! Ha ha! I'll pray for his continued recovery.

Ila
10-13-2001, 09:00 AM
Glad to hear you have it all figured out the lump and what caused it. Hope things go well now for you!! ;)

tatsxxx11
10-13-2001, 09:26 AM
Logan, so happy to hear that Butter's diagnosis was not any of the other more serious conditions we talked about! Those abscesses can be so nasty though! Hope the Butter Boy heals quickly and won't require a re-visit! Sounds like he was quite brave and took it rather well! I know, with the 3 of them in tow, YOU were exhausted! What a Mom!!

Cattal
10-13-2001, 09:29 AM
Ohh, Logan and Butter! {{{{{Hugs & Hisses}}}} from Max and his Humans! Mh has a relatively new job that is keeping her VERY busy - so we haven't been reading as often -- or as carefully as we should have! Sorry to hear Butter's been ailing but glad to hear diagnosed.

I know abcesses WAY better than I should - my Dusty (R'bow Br.) was NOTORIUS for them - and the worse was the wounds were inflicted by playing with his "best friend" Albert the ginger tabby! Those two LOVED each other and where one was the other was right there they loved to rough house. Dusty was a long hair'd grey so I could never see his "wounds" until they abcessed. It was very discouraging because he would have to be shaved down etc. medicated, irrigated YUCK! Take care and keep us posted on progress!

4 feline house
10-13-2001, 11:45 AM
Hi, MH! I wondered where you'd been!

Logan
10-13-2001, 11:26 PM
He's Baaaaaaaaaaack!! Must feel pretty good because I got lots of nips tonight!! LOL! :D

Logan
10-14-2001, 09:26 AM
That's perfect, Chuck!!! Even if I had to lie on my side to read it!! LOL!!

Seems like Bucky Cat and Butter have LOTS in common!!

Logan

Cinder & Smoke
10-14-2001, 10:26 AM
Dad's pretty sure that our Boots, the Kat, was the model for that cartoon. :rolleyes:

Cattal
10-14-2001, 12:29 PM
We're here! Just less frequently because Mh REALLy wants to keep this job so time is not hers!

Loved the cartoon! Reminds me of what happened to Dh when he and Max went for their daily walk in the woods yesterday. . .Max (on his leash of course) will gladly lead Dh when he goes IN to the woods but Dh usually has to CARRY Max OUT -- with resistance and a whining growl that sounds like "NnnnOOOOOOOO" as they go . . .so Daddy human puts Max up to his shoulder and begins the short journey back and all of the sudden *SMACK*! Max hauled off and "slapped" his Daddy in the face! No claws or blood but Dh was VERY surprised! Today Mh is going to cut Max's claws . . . as a precaution!

So glad Butter is better!