PDA

View Full Version : Sophie's being a brat

lizzielou742
09-13-2004, 06:19 PM
I don't know why but Sophie has been really irritable the past two days. She's acting like she doesn't want to be touched. If I touch her or pick her up, she squeaks (Sophie never meows, she always squeaks, so that's normal - but she doesn't usually do it when we pick her up). We have some houseguests in town, and if any of them go near her, she growls and hisses. She even growled at me today!! She doesn't pin back her ears, scratch or bite - it's like she's just issuing a warning. I am thinking either the guests are stressing her out, or it's something else...she's 5 months and 2 weeks old. When do cats start to go in to heat? She's scheduled for her spay on Friday.

What do you all think her problem could be? Should I call the vet? Or just wait until she goes in Friday? I've been trying to give her a lot of time alone - I've been putting her in the bedroom with the door shut. The guests leave tomorrow, so maybe that will help? I wonder if she's in pain for some reason - she's eating normally, going to the litterbox normally...she doesn't act like she's hurting, she still plays and stuff...I don't get it. :confused: Thanks everyone. :)

ComedyDevil
09-13-2004, 06:24 PM
As long as she's eating and drinking normally, using the litterbox normally and not showing any signs of pain, then I'm sure she's fine :)

She's probably stressed out because you have company. My RB Mopsie hated visitors, instead of sleeping in her usual spots she would hide behind the couch the whole time until they were gone.

Give her alone time if she wants it, but if she comes to you for attention, make a big fuss of her, so she doesn't feel left out. Hopefully she'll be fine once your guests have left - maybe next time you should ask her permission before having anyone over :p

NoahsMommy
09-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Hmmm....it sounds like she's kind of bothered by the houseguests to me.

I agree with Comedy Devil, if she's still eating, drinking and using the box, she sounds OK.

:) My Basie squeaks instead of meowing too.

confined
09-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Yes, I agree with those two . Your cat probably irritated by people.

Laura's Babies
09-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Things that upset their life (like company) will make them act different but she IS old enough to come in heat so make sure you keep that appointment Friday.

catnapper
09-13-2004, 07:00 PM
You are describing the same exact problem we are currently having with Allen. he's never swatted or hissed at us but recently has begun to do so... only n the weekends when we have a lot of teens in the house (my house is the "cool" spot to hang - aren't I lucky? :rolleyes: ) I've come to the conclusion that Allen doesn't like all the noise & disruption to his daily routines.

rg_girlca
09-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Poor baby Sophie. I agree with the others that it is most likely the houseguest and having to shut her back in the room has probably stressed her out some.

I'm sure once your houseguest leave, she will settled back to her loving self again.:)

Barbara
09-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Ask Sara what Filou said when she tried to pick him up:( I didn't know that my sweet boy knew all these words. :( When we have visitors he becomes absolutely unsociable and doesn't like us anymore:( He spends most of his time upstairs under the bed.

It changes the exact same minute when they leave:( Tigris is a much better host.:)

I agree to everyone: as long as she eats and drinks and uses the litterbox she won't need to see the vet.

catcrazylady
09-14-2004, 06:07 AM
It's probably the visitors causing her stress because her routine is out of whack. I bet she will settle down and be her old self again after they leave. If not you could always mention it to the vet when you go in Friday so they could check her real good before the surgery. I wouldn't worry before then unless she shows some physical sign that something is wrong.
She's growing up momma and she's learning how to express herself. She's figuring out that she's a girl with "tude"!:D :D :D
Look out Tito!!!!;) :D

catmandu
09-14-2004, 08:45 AM
I know,that the Found Cats,dont care for visitors,unless its the AWA Ladies,or Mike,and Gail,my Friends,who are renovating,the Found Cat Hotel! She will be better,when they leave!

lizzielou742
09-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys. She's fine in the mornings, but I think after a long day of everyone fussing over her, wanting to play with her and pick her up, she gets irritable. I told her she just needs to quit being so cute, and everyone will leave her alone! ;) Normally our house is empty during the day and the cats sleep all day, but for the past three days it's been a madhouse 24-7. Thank goodness they're leaving tonight :o

Oh and Laura - I will definitely be keeping the appointment for her this Friday. I scheduled it back in July and this was the earliest one I could get - my vet gets really backed up, so there's no way I'm rescheduling! ;) :D