PDA

View Full Version : How do I take care of the fur of my Persian cat?

rene
01-01-2001, 04:01 AM
Our Persian cat has (especially now in the winter) long hair.
My problem is how to treat her fur, because those long hairs often stick together forming burs.
We comb her hair regularly, but that doesn't seem to help very much.
Can someone give me some advice?
Thanks,
René

Karen
01-01-2001, 02:20 PM
This is from: http://www.persian-cats.com/grooming.shtml

It does not explain, of course, what to do when your cat decides the comb is better to chew on than let be used on him ...

GROOMING TIPS
1.Groom your Persian's coat daily or at least every other day. Breeders recommend using a natural bristle brush (soft) and/or a comb. Avoid nylon combs because they generate static electricity. If you discover a knot, simply
tease it apart with your fingers then brush/comb it. If you need to cut it out, first slide a comb underneath the knot to separate the knot from the skin. Using round-tipped scissors, cut the hair sitting on top of the comb.

2.Wipe tearing eyes with a damp washcloth (no soap) once in the morning and once in the evening. For problems with staining around the eyes, consult your vet before using any cleansers or solutions.
3.Be sure to check the skin regularly for cuts, abrasions, or parasites.
4.Bathe your Persian regularly- once or twice a month. Fill a basin/tub with lukewarm water. Using cat shampoo, work up a lather all over the fur. Be careful around the eyes and ears. Rinse thoroughly and towel dry. Be sure to run a comb through the coat to prevent matting. Let the cat dry in a warm environment- some people even blow dry their cats.

Troy
01-01-2001, 07:55 PM
I have never owned a long-haired cat. I do however have long hair myself and note that when my hair is in bad condition it lends itself to getting knotted very easily - This is due to hair becoming dry and developing "split-ends". My point is, that perhaps dietary supplements can improve the quality of your cat's coat and thus help reducing tangling? Omega oils and Linseed oils are both very good for this (in cats) and I'm sure there are many other supplements you could use...just a thought.