PDA

View Full Version : Washed And Worn Out.

RICHARD
09-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Cat survives washing machine

A cat which fell asleep in a washing machine survived a 60-minute cycle at 40C.

Toreilles had sneaked into a neighbour's house looking for a warm spot, reports the Daily Mirror.

The 15-month-old tabby is now recovering at an animal hospital after escaping with minor injuries.

Owner Debbie Sainsbury, 44, said: "Apparently he just dropped out when the door opened.

"He couldn't walk but was purring and very much alive - now he's looking better every day.

"I think he definitely lost one his nine lives - he's a very lucky cat."

Vet Sheelagh Houlden said: "He was in considerably good shape considering what he had been through. He was fairly lucky to be alive."
:eek:

carla and mike
09-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Was this abuse?Was it done on purpose.I hate hearing these sickening things.I can't sleep at night whenever something like this is in front of me to read.(Not your fault)Just can't stand the sick people on this planet.Or even the careless ones too.

DJFyrewolf36
09-13-2004, 01:18 PM
You'd think that a cat in the washer would make some kind of odd noise. Once when I was little our dorky cat (looked like a female version of Remus...hmmmm) decided to nap in the dryer. Well there were wet clothes in there (and why the cat wanted to sleep on wet clothes I still can't figure out) so mom just started the thing up without looking. Wasn't more than 10 seconds before that cat was making a real ruckus! I felt soooo bad for her, and mom did too. We even took the cat to the vet to make sure she didn't get hurt. Sheesh, you'd think SOMEONE would notice before a 60 minute wash cycle...dumb unobservent people. :rolleyes: Glad the kitty was ok though, bet it thinks twice before going near one of those big sloshy things again!

QueenScoopalot
09-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Poor cat! SIXTY MINUTES??? And survived? Hopefully it was an old rickety machine like we used to have (it agitated in slow motion). The newer models whip back & forth so fast it's a miracle that poor kitten survived that. Not to mention the spin cycle. :eek: I always keep appliance doors shut, and check before using the dryer...one second of turning my back to get more clothes to throw in, and a cat could be in. Geesh...have to watch them!

Laura's Babies
09-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes, QSL, I make SURE my washer and dryer doors are SHUT at all times. That is the only way to prevent them from getting in there. Now, Giz will jump in when I open the dryer to take out the just dried clothes and I scold her, take her out and get the cloths out as quick as possiable and close it tight!!

Randi
09-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Poor poor kitty! :( What a shock that must have been! :(

There's been so many stories about kitties in washing machines and dryers. I can't belive that people don't check. :mad: Perhaps we should all slow down a bit and take time for the important things in life.

carla and mike
09-13-2004, 03:52 PM
I too check everything constantly before using and if I turn to look at something or talk to someone I check all over again before starting.It's been a habbit since my first cat.Even when I was young with cats my mom had.
A great habbit.I would of been great with human children but chose cats instead.LOL
Much much more worry with human children since they have to leave the house for school.LOL

kuhio98
09-13-2004, 04:30 PM
VERY lucky cat! :eek: I check the dryer 3 or 4 times to make sure Pepper isn't in there. So far, no one has shown an interest in the washing machine.

A few months ago, a lady posted on the www.petloss.com message board that she was having a very hard time forgiving herself for killing her cat. She wanted to fluff up her down comforter, so she scooped it up not realizing her kitty was underneath and put it in the dryer for about 20 minutes. Her poor kitty was tumbled to death. :( I'm not sure I would ever get over something like that.

Mandy-Lee
09-13-2004, 04:43 PM
This sounds more like a dryer then a washer incident...how could anyone not realize that a cat was inside a washer or dryer. They're idiots....I'm sorry, but that's what I think! For one thing, the door was left open on this washer, so the owner probably wasn't too far away before putting laundry in or turning it on. STUPID! But I guess....if the person does not have cats, then he/she wouldn't be looking for one in the washer.Thank goodness the baby is OK.

ComedyDevil
09-13-2004, 04:49 PM
From the sound of the article it was an accident, and the cat was in someone elses washing machine.

Toreilles had sneaked into a neighbour's house looking for a warm spot

So the washing machine didn't belong to the cat's owner, it was their neighbour's.

I can't believe they didn't notice, I'm sure the cat would have been making a noise, but, in their defence, if I didn't own a cat, I wouldn't expect one to be sitting in my washing machine!

I'm glad the cat's ok - he sure had a lucky break! :)

catmandu
09-14-2004, 08:52 AM
WE are glad,that that Poor Cat,is All Right,and escaped,what could have been a deadly experience! I guess,that thas not a place,that he will snooze,anymore!

Felicia's Mom
09-14-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm glad kitty is all right. Maybe it was 60 seconds, not minutes.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Gosh, I'm glad the cat was OK. Ally is ALWAYS jumping in our top-loader washing machine, so I check a million times before I switch it on!!

leslie
09-14-2004, 08:51 PM
I doubt the cat is ok. How could a cat survive being tumble in soapy water, then rinsing water, then a spin? Gasping for air, he/she would surely have swallowed water... the spin alone would have been, i suspect at that point enough to knock him/her out! I'd like to be able to call the vets and find out the condition and find out if kitty is going back to same owner! Ya know!?

carla and mike
09-15-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by leslie
I doubt the cat is ok. How could a cat survive being tumble in soapy water, then rinsing water, then a spin? Gasping for air, he/she would surely have swallowed water... the spin alone would have been, i suspect at that point enough to knock him/her out! I'd like to be able to call the vets and find out the condition and find out if kitty is going back to same owner! Ya know!?
I'm with you Leslie.

Pam
09-15-2004, 06:17 AM
I heard this when I was driving into work yesterday. I had Regis & Kelly on the car radio and they were talking about it. The thing that bothered me was that I think I heard some giggles on the part of Kelly, although it's hard to be sure because I wasn't seeing any video so I could be wrong. I would think that Regis would be sensitive to the poor little thing since his kitty, Ashley, just recently left for the Rainbow Bridge and he talked about him a lot on the show. People just have to be more careful! Kitties have the ability to be anywhere!! Kuhio I feel so badly for that person you wrote about. I would never get over that.

:(

leslie
09-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know how to find the story so we can get the real facts? Richard- was that in LA times? I'd like to know the real truth behind the story! Especially if talk show hosts find it comical- (they rarely raise traumatic stories anyway- never talked about the athens dogs...for example). It was put out for comic relief. idiots.

leslie
09-15-2004, 11:02 PM
oh and Carla, Thank you- I thought maybe i was the only one who saw something very wrong with this story! so thanks for posting!

lynnestankard
09-16-2004, 04:15 AM
Found this thread to the story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3646236.stm

be warned - not good reading.

Lynne

leslie
09-16-2004, 07:40 PM
thank you so much for posting this story! I knew he must have been severly hurt! I'm sorry there wasn't more comments from the owner like how horrible she felt about letting her kitten out to wander into the neighbor's laundry room etc I dunno. Well, question, will he have to be fed like Birdie the rest of his little life!? With 40% of his tongue gone!? Tongue is most sensitive organ in the body too- little guy must be in terrible pain...
Thanks again though!