PDA

View Full Version : shedding

MzKitty
12-06-2000, 12:36 PM
I just found this site and am so happy to have people to share my cats stories with! AND to have others to ask questions when I'm at a loss for solutions. My problem is this:
my cats are massively shedding and its winter and cold here! I'm not worried about them being cold, as they are all inside cats. The youngest and oldest aren't as bad as the two middle ones (who also have severe dandruff). I try to brush them at least twice a day, but my furniture just seems to keep getting furrier!
Should I be giving them tuna in oil, or egg, or something in their food to help their coats? I know this helps with dogs. thanks!

4 feline house
12-06-2000, 08:23 PM
Since cats generally shed in spring and fall, and since some of them have the dandruff, too, I would suspect some sort of skin disease or allergy. But as long as they are getting a quality pet food, they should be getting the right vitamins and minerals. There are so many pros and cons about both tuna and egg I would not want to specifically say yes or no on either of them - my first instinct would be to take at least one of them to the vet (maybe the worst), explaining they all have the problem. Before that I might go to a good pet store (or just place a phone call to the vet, if you have that kind of relationship with him or her) and inquire if it might be a vitamin deficiency and try treating with supplements first. It could be, too, that your house is too hot and dry for them, now that winter is here. Humidifying the air might solve the problem. Hope some of these ideas help, and good luck!