PDA

View Full Version : Sundance - Vet

kgeorge
09-05-2001, 10:56 AM
I cancelled Sundance's appt for his Feline Leukemia shot, something just kep nagging at me not to take him. I went to PetSmart and was talking with the local rescue group and I asked them about Vaccine Associated Sarcoma's and she told me if he is the only cat and kept indoors (which he is) then don't get the feline ldukemia shot. She also said to ask the vet about the vaccine, they have different manufacturers and the problem is with the agent in the vaccine that transports the medicine - that is what was causing the tumors. I will get rabies and distmeper but I will ask what kind of vaccine he is using. Hopefully this info will help all of the cat people on the board, just go with your gut feelings and check with your vet. Cat Fancy October issue has an article on this topic. :p

catwoman
09-05-2001, 11:20 AM
kgeorge,

Thanks for the update! Do you know which agent is causing problems? Does the Cat Fancy article specify?

Much thanks,
Dianne

kgeorge
09-05-2001, 11:57 AM
The magazine is at home but I will go on the computer tonight and post what is says. ;)

kgeorge
09-05-2001, 06:33 PM
From the October issue or Cat Fancy:

"Research suggest that Adjuvants (carriers that help release the vaccine gradulally) cause an intense inflammatory response at the injectinsite, which leads to cell mutations and, eventually, an out of control tumor."

"Significant recmmendations include reducing the number of vaccinations a cat receives, changing the location of the vaccination and changing the type of vaccine used."

"By Adminstering the vaccination on a cat's leg instead of between its shoulder blades, amputation becomes a viable option if a tumor develops at the injection site."

Pharmaceutical companies, too , are helping to combat the situation by developing new vaccines without the Adjuvants (carriers) that appear to overstimulate the immune system. Vaccines administered as nose drops are available now, and oral and through the skin delivery systems might soon be available, all of which will eliminate VAS risks.

Hope this helps everyone.

catwoman
09-05-2001, 06:36 PM
Thanks, kgeorge!

Mickey4Paws
09-06-2001, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by kgeorge:
<STRONG>From the October issue or Cat Fancy:

"Pharmaceutical companies, too , are helping to combat the situation by developing new vaccines without the Adjuvants (carriers) that appear to overstimulate the immune system. Vaccines administered as nose drops are available now, and oral and through the skin delivery systems might soon be available, all of which will eliminate VAS risks.

I believe Puravax is the one that is supposed to be safer.
Hope this helps everyone.</STRONG>