PDA

View Full Version : Adrenal disease in ferrets

Queen of Poop
09-11-2004, 10:25 PM
:( Took the 2 remaining ferrets to the vet today for health checks. Miko is in fine health. Sebastian looks like he may be developing Adrenal Gland disease. Complications from which one month ago stole my Trouble. I am totally bummed out. It's so frustrating.

Jods
09-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Oh no Thats terrible... Is adrenal disease common in ferrets? I keep reading about it? prayers sent for your babies!!

BitsyNaceyDog
09-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Jods
Oh no Thats terrible... Is adrenal disease common in ferrets? I keep reading about it? prayers sent for your babies!!

In deed it is very common in ferrets. If I'm not mistaken it is the #1 killer of ferrets. That is what my RB ferret, Yaeger died from.:(

QoP- I am so sorry about Sebastian. I gave my ferret Marshall's Ferret vits daily and I swear it bought her time. I had her on another brand of ferret vitamins before (I cannot remember what) and when I changed her to Marshall's she seemed to improve.

Tiah
09-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Oh, I am so sorry :(

May I ask though, what it is? I would love to know so I can just have a heads up for my two boys.

Queen of Poop
09-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Adrenal gland disease is when tumors grow in the ferrets adrenal glands. The first sign of the disease is hair loss. We had Trouble on hormone shots but in time the tumors won, his tumors were unfortunately inoperable. Hopefully, if it does turn out that Sebastian's hair loss is being caused by adrenal gland disease, he will be a good candidate for the surgery that could give him a lot longer with us. For now we keep a close eye on his fur and see if he loses more or if he "hairs up" for winter. I pray that my little fuzzy gets his hair back.