PDA

View Full Version : Florida's pets

Jods
09-11-2004, 09:04 PM
I also asked permission if I could re-post this

Please Pass On... >>>> This is a repost, with permission I just spoke to Diane Albers, President of Florida Kennel Clubs. She is spearheading the rescue efforts, along with AKC>>>>These are her comments>>>>"Florida is in doodoo, if Ivan hits Florida, there will be no Florida Left . The cattle and horses are standing in 6 inches deep of water. There is no pasture no food. The shelters are overrun with dogs that didn't even evacuate with their owners. She is getting hundreds of calls a day from people forced to do owner turn ins as they themselves have no homes,no food ,no gas, no water no way to care for their animals."

Northwest Airlines is offering to fly dogs out of Florida at no cost ( donated by NWA... remember them the next time you fly!) They will start flying dogs in a couple of days. Foster Homes are needed. Florida needs our help. She is getting hundreds of purebreds turned in every day along with mixes.>>>

Call Diane Albers @ 1800-597-2987

Aspen and Misty
09-11-2004, 09:14 PM
I am going to talk to our local SPCA'S on monday, I will make an anouncment at School and at church. I know some families wiling to foster also.

I will contact Diane tomrrow or monday to get things on the roll, thank you for posting this.

Ashley

Kfamr
09-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Florida needs all the help it can get :(

I really hope Ivan goes far far away.
This is just so stressful. There's NO way i'd turn in my dogs though. I'd let them eat before I ate.

kingrattus
09-11-2004, 09:17 PM
All the poor animals.

If I had a home I would take in a handfull. I think over crowing a loving home is better then nothing if u ask me.

Hopefully many can help. & maybe thinking of giving away dogs for free (but still strick screening & forced fixing the animals) might help this bad situation, get a bit better.

Maybe they can ask Canada for some help? I'm sure someone will help up here.

I hope this is all over the Media, esp. CNN. I heard alot of USA people watch that.

Aspen and Misty
09-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Florida needs all the help it can get :(

I really hope Ivan goes far far away.
This is just so stressful. There's NO way i'd turn in my dogs though. I'd let them eat before I ate.

Agreed, My dog's mean so much to me.

I think I can foster a dog by myself, I will have to see though. My dad is thinking about it, I hope he says yes.

I know maybe 5 or 6 people who will also foster.

I hope I can help in some way :(

Ashley

Kfamr
09-11-2004, 09:21 PM
If I could help I would. We're in danger with Ivan where i'm at. He could be at our doorstep by Monday-Tuesday.

Maybe I'll mention to my parents about fostering when Ivan passes, if we still have a home.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago to help our local shelter and got very little reply, I guess not many wanted to help. But, thankfully, Julie (Ally Cat's mommy) is sending some $$ in the mail which I will donate to our local shelter. Not sure if anyone else planned to do so.

I just wish there was more I could do, but being in Florida I am unable to do so :(
I want to move from this dreaded state.

Mil0Luv3r
09-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Jods
I also asked permission if I could re-post this

Please Pass On... >>>> This is a repost, with permission I just spoke to Diane Albers, President of Florida Kennel Clubs. She is spearheading the rescue efforts, along with AKC>>>>These are her comments>>>>"Florida is in doodoo, if Ivan hits Florida, there will be no Florida Left . The cattle and horses are standing in 6 inches deep of water. There is no pasture no food. The shelters are overrun with dogs that didn't even evacuate with their owners. She is getting hundreds of calls a day from people forced to do owner turn ins as they themselves have no homes,no food ,no gas, no water no way to care for their animals."

Northwest Airlines is offering to fly dogs out of Florida at no cost ( donated by NWA... remember them the next time you fly!) They will start flying dogs in a couple of days. Foster Homes are needed. Florida needs our help. She is getting hundreds of purebreds turned in every day along with mixes.>>>

Call Diane Albers @ 1800-597-2987

I would foster but sense I have to worry about Ivan I can't and my mom always says "Hell No" about fostering or taking in strays! But I just had to correct that Florida shall always be here! towns/citys will not be here though! If Florida has lived through all these other even WORSER Hurricane then it still can!