PDA

View Full Version : feeding my cat raw liver

blarson
11-22-2000, 05:17 PM
I have a 21/2 yr. old male cat. He loves raw liver. I give him a little everyday, will this harm him?

blarson
11-25-2000, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
Short answer: I free feed Nutro or IAMS dry food with fresh tuna 1-2 a week.

When it comes to pet nutrition, I am by no means an expert. If liver was a once in a week treat (which is what I do with tuna), it would not seem to be a problem. Keep in mind the better cat foods have the vitamins and minerals cats need. Taurtine, for example was discovered in the late 1980s to be good for a cat's eyes & heart. So taurtine was added to cat food. A rescue webite in Colorado recommends a lot of fresh meat, but I'm afraid to try. What they are doing may be very sound, but it would seem vitamin supplements probably should be added.

gini
11-25-2000, 10:28 AM
Every time I have asked the vet about a suggestion for putting some weight on my cats I have gotten the same answer - a good commercial brand is the best because it will have all of the vitamins and minerals they need. So I guess we need to look at tuna or turkey or liver as a "treat" to be given occasionally, but not their regular diet. I have found if you give the treats too frequently they won't eat their regular food hoping that a treat will soon show up.

ktreva52
11-25-2000, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by blarson:
I have a 21/2 yr. old male cat. He loves raw liver. I give him a little everyday, will this harm him?

The main difficulty I see with this is parasites that might be in the liver and get into the cat that way. The organ meats ARE very nutritious, but raw runs a risk of bad things. I would suggest talking to your vet about it and discuss where you might find really "clean" liver. Maybe switching to liver-flavored treats or teaching him to like cooked liver would be possible???

blarson
11-25-2000, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ktreva52:
The main difficulty I see with this is parasites that might be in the liver and get into the cat that way. The organ meats ARE very nutritious, but raw runs a risk of bad things. I would suggest talking to your vet about it and discuss where you might find really "clean" liver. Maybe switching to liver-flavored treats or teaching him to like cooked liver would be possible???

blarson
11-25-2000, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by gini:
Every time I have asked the vet about a suggestion for putting some weight on my cats I have gotten the same answer - a good commercial brand is the best because it will have all of the vitamins and minerals they need. So I guess we need to look at tuna or turkey or liver as a "treat" to be given occasionally, but not their regular diet. I have found if you give the treats too frequently they won't eat their regular food hoping that a treat will soon show up.

Troy
11-30-2000, 06:41 PM
Firstly I must say that I'm not a animal nutritionist. When it comes to feeding my two cats, Joe & Typha, I try to think about their natural eating habits. Felines are predators and as such gain the required vits/mins from their prey which they eat whole. I guess this way they are assured of getting a broad spectrum of nutrition. Raw meat alone will not replace a cats natural diet. If you were to feed your cat whole birds, fish, and mice then you might be close. I tend to feed my cats fresh raw meat at night including fish (sometimes pan fried fish when I'm feeling pathetic), lamb, beef, chicken and pork and a canned/tinned food in the morning. As with us I think variety is very important, I don't think any one food diet is good for a cat.

blarson
11-30-2000, 07:25 PM
Everyone should read the article submitted by Spencer on cat nutrition. It is very informative, and makes alot of sense. Bette

4 feline house
11-30-2000, 10:29 PM
Not an expert, either, but I trust any of the pet store brands, because they either have done the research or formulate according to the research (I forget the name of that large animal nutrition research center in the UK). I fed Friskies (which is probably one of the best grocery store foods - and I would still recommend it for people who cannot afford or choose for other reasons not to feed pet store foods) for years and always had FUS, tooth, and skin/coat problems. Then I started feeding Hills after k/d was prescribed for a kidney patient and I first read about the above mentioned nutrition research center. All nutrition related health problems ceased. Since Iams has come to the grocery store I've started using it, and like it even better than Hill's (although "best" can vary from cat to cat so this is certainly no indictment of the quality of Hill's). My cats are very active and healthy with very glossy coats (even the cat that doesn't have the "glossy" type fur), good skin and strong, clean teeth. One is overweight but he got that way on mother's milk, so I attribute it to his genes. I find it is in the long run no more expensive than Friskies, first of all because a smaller amount fills them up faster, also because there is less waste in the litter box so less litter needs to be purchased, and I have fewer vet bills. I buy the eight lb bag for about $13 and it feeds four cats for two weeks. I occasionally will give treats of cooked meat because I feel nothing in moderation will do any harm.

A good website for any pet concerns is Iam's: http://www.iams.com
but of course, they could be accused of being biased since they do sell pet food.

lhg0962
12-01-2000, 10:17 PM
In regards to Iams, have you heard anything about them changing their formula when they decided to sell in the grocery store? I read it in a pretty rough discussion on another site. I'm so glad people don't take things so personally on this site!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif
On our veterinarian's advice, our cat gets Purina Kitten Chow, even thought she is 11 years old. She is very small (6 pounds) and likes the dry formula. She does eat canned food everyday too. Plus, she catches many wild things and eats them too! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif Yuck!

4 feline house
12-04-2000, 03:50 PM
I specifically asked my vet if the grocery store formula was the same as that sold at the pet stores and vets, and he says it is the same. I had not heard any rumors, but it made sense to me that it might have been what Iams was doing - creating a third market as such. My cats are doing so well on it, though, that I would tend to agree with my vet.

Adding this note the next day-just noticed that the Iams website that I cited in the previous post addresses this rumor.

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited December 05, 2000).]

ktreva52
12-07-2000, 01:05 AM
Just an FYI -- the UK research facility is Waltham Foods. They put out their own brand and also own Pedigree.

Bastet
12-09-2000, 05:18 PM
From what I have read, liver is high in vitamin A and not good for a daily treat. I used to feed my kitties raw liver like once a month. I would wash it off first with a little hot water, don't know if that did anything or not for cleanliness.

I only stopped feeding my kitties raw liver because the butcher stopped carrying it.

------------------

=^..^=

lhg0962
12-15-2000, 09:39 PM
My veterinarian sells all kinds of specialized food himself, but he told me that Purina was as good as anything since they spend so much on research. My cat eats Purina Kitten Chow as mentioned earlier. I have decided to switch my dogs to something new (we've been on Pedigree) to work with their shedding problems and try to shine their coats up a little. My brother feeds his two black labs something called Diamond that he buys at a pet food store. They are lean and their coats are just gorgeous. Right now we are using the grocery store version of IAMS, but I'm going to do some research before settling on something. Cost is an issue with two big dogs who eat a lot. Sorry to get off on dog food, but I know there are so many choices for dogs and cats and you can just get so much misleading information.

4 feline house
12-16-2000, 11:20 PM
To sum it all up-
Every cat is as different as every situation. I agree that the best is a pet/vet brand, the next best would be a name grocery store brand, and the ABSOLUTE worse is an off-brand. I also understand that there are some situations in which a full belly of anything is better than an empty belly. I almost always give Iams, but lately have fallen on some hard times and have had to switch to name-brand grocery store food. I forsee having to downgrade to an off-brand from there in the next few days. But my other choice would be to let my cats go hungry. I have never had a cat that would tolerate any Purina variey, and I also read a book written by a pet nutritionist that said Friskies was the best grocery store food, so that's what I've been feeding for the past few weeks. But that's what works for me, it's not that I think Purina is inferior. Over the years I have occasionally fed strays or ferals, and they got the cheapest brand available, because I couldn't afford to feed the wild animals premium cat food, but at least they were not going hungry. So what to feed is a very personal decision, based on financial considerations, the animal's situations, and the animal's tolerance and preferance.

blarson
12-17-2000, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
...I hope that it did not seem that grocery brand cat foods were being condemned wholesale. It is not easy to discern what is good and what is not. My experience with a cat being fed an off-brand food is one of the few things that are clear (it was bad). Again, I realize people have to economize and starvation is not an option.

Does anyone know any good sources of pet nutrition information? It would be great if there was a website that could simply and dispassionatly make sense of this.

I really received alot of good responses to my question regarding the liver. I have cut down on Ole's daily feeding of liver. I now give it to him once a week, or a little a couple times a week.

lhg0962
12-17-2000, 08:00 AM
4 feline house...
Good luck with what you are going through right now. Feeding our family, let alone our pets, can be very expensive. I'm sure your cats will be fine. I just wanted to say that I have been where you are, so you have my best wishes. Hope your holiday is filled with happiness. Love those furry babies a lot.

Troy
12-17-2000, 07:35 PM
Whole fish is also a good cheap option. Small fish like sardines or sprats are very cheap and are very nutritous for a cat. They are full of omega oils and of course lots of vitamins and minerals. The only problem with this is that some cats are just not interested in them. I usually have to chop them up just a little for before mine will eat them. Also, depending on where you live, chicken wings can be very cheap and are excellent for cats teeth. My cats wouldn't touch raw chicken wings but I started giving them a few minutes grilling just to warm them up and then just cut through the skin to give the cats a head-start. They love them now and spend ages enjoying their food.

Bye the way, only feed your cats whole fish from large school fish (not near possible human fishing areas) because they could contain hooks. This is not likely but you can avoid the chance by buying fish that would never have contact with shore-fishermen.

Troy.

4 feline house
12-22-2000, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by lhg0962:
4 feline house...
Good luck with what you are going through right now. Feeding our family, let alone our pets, can be very expensive. I'm sure your cats will be fine. I just wanted to say that I have been where you are, so you have my best wishes. Hope your holiday is filled with happiness. Love those furry babies a lot.
Thanks for your kind words. Being a single parent and chronically ill, it's always tough, then I got laid off at Thanksgiving. At the worse time of year to find a job! Except a retail Xmas job, which I don't have the stamina to do full time. But I have years of experience, lots of contacts and solid references, so I'm sure something will come up in the new year. None of the human beans or kitty beans have gone hungry yet, even tho they've had to give up their Iams, and we've been eating alot of rice and potatoes! But things could be worse, and I still have many blessings from God to count. And I've enjoyed the extra time I've had to spend with my son and my kitties! Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

blarson
12-22-2000, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house:

Originally posted by lhg0962:
4 feline house...
Thanks for your kind words. Being a single parent and chronically ill, it's always tough, then I got laid off at Thanksgiving. At the worse time of year to find a job! Except a retail Xmas job, which I don't have the stamina to do full time. But I have years of experience, lots of contacts and solid references, so I'm sure something will come up in the new year. None of the human beans or kitty beans have gone hungry yet, even tho they've had to give up their Iams, and we've been eating alot of rice and potatoes! But things could be worse, and I still have many blessings from God to count. And I've enjoyed the extra time I've had to spend with my son and my kitties! Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

blarson
12-22-2000, 10:04 PM

Hi everyone, this is blarson who started the story of liver for Ole. Someone said to try raw ground turkey. I did buy some for him and he wouldn't eat it raw, I tried frying him some and still no go. He is stuck on the liver. But I only give him a little once or twice a week. This has been a very interesting saga about what to feed cats. I remember when I was a kid my dad always gave my kittys warm milk right from the cow and they loved it. Now - no milk, is it because it is pasturized or what. Thanks again everyone. Bette

4 feline house
12-23-2000, 09:59 PM

Now - no milk, is it because it is pasturized or what.

Like many humans, cats are often intolerant of cow's lactose. This usually manifests itself as diarrhea. It your cat likes and can tolerate milk, though, there is no reason not to offer it in moderation. I hope this clears up the confusion!