PDA

View Full Version : leather couch...HELP!!!

eclipseisafatty
09-11-2004, 11:23 AM
We have just purchased a leather couch and it's on order. I'm a little worried about little kitty's claws! I love my cat to death but i don't want her clawing up this expensive couch!!! Are there any techniques to stop her from scratching it? Should I not let her on the couch? She has a scratching post but you never know! Your input would be appreciated.

RedHedd
09-11-2004, 11:35 AM
I got a leather loveseat earlier this year and was afraid too, but I didn't have to be. My cats don't like the way it feels on their claws (of course a squirt bottle and some serious NO's also helped). They have two scratching posts which they use exclusively now. I was afraid they wouldn't like to lay on it, but boy was I wrong - they LOVE it! Sometimes there's no room for me because the two M's are spread out, lounging on THEIR new leather couch. I hope you have the same success I've had and enjoy your new leather couch. They are SO nice!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid125/p0d78dbc2878f336675ecfa33d707903a/f7f9f50a.jpg

bluekat
09-11-2004, 11:46 AM
We've had a leather couch before we got Blueberry..we were afraid at first too. But he NEVER even goes on it or touches it:p lol

But if your cat does scratch, I would recommend using a squirt bottle and a "NO" too:)

Laura's Babies
09-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Soft Paws on the front paws if the squirt bottle don't work but usually that is all it takes.

I find they (mine) LOVE that sisal rope on that cat tree and today, that is the ONLY place they have scratched... Maybe get a 2 X 4 and wrap it with that Sisal rope and see if that'll work before trying the soft paws.

lexibent
09-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi. I have leather couches, too, and although my cats don't intentionally scratch them they have made a lot of marks with their back claws when running and chasing each other. I recommend keeping their nails trimmed at all times, and maybe using soft paws until you can train them. Mine have gotten better since they've gotten older (they're only 1 and 3 years old), but they still occasionally freak out while chasing each other and jump onto the furniture and dig in with those back claws.

If you do get any scratches, immediately take a damp washcloth or finger and buff, buff, buff! I've found that rubbing the scratches with a damp finger really helps to minimize them.

Good luck! Hopefully you won't have any problems.

prechrswife
09-11-2004, 07:44 PM
I agree with lexibent. Our only problems have come from them jumping off of the leather furniture. Keeping their claws trimmed seems to do the trick.

PayItForward
09-11-2004, 08:33 PM
It is a couch, who cares if it gets marked.

Cats are more important than furniture and you should love them what ever happens to the couch.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-11-2004, 08:52 PM
I'd recommend Soft Paws. :)

My cats, Angel and Dillian, wear them. We bought new leather furniture a couple of months ago, but before we bought it, my family researched Soft Paws. We KNEW they would try to scratch the new couches, even though they have a scratching post, and I really recommend them; they work. It may be a battle to get/keep them on at first, but they get used to them, and it's pain free.

Here's their site if you're interested: http://www.softpaws.com/ .

Good Luck!

Tonya
09-11-2004, 09:27 PM
We just got some new leather couches. The cats do leave marks on them, but they don't actually puncture the couches. The marks look like I can buff them out, but I haven't tried yet. Besides, marks on leather couches add character.

auggie
09-12-2004, 08:31 AM
I think it all depends on the cat.
My Auggie-cat loves to sharpen her claws on leather.
I hate to show you what she did to my purse! LOL!
How about putting a blanket over the couch?

catmandu
09-12-2004, 11:10 AM
I think,that they can treat the Leather,so the Cats will lie,on it,but dont like the smell,that gets,on thier paws! I wish,I could remember,what it is called!!

LaRana
09-13-2004, 12:50 PM
I tend to think that softpaws for a few weeks and a nice scratch post will be your best shot at keeping your couch scratch free. They typically don't claw up leather couches since they don't get their claws stuck in there, but giving good alternatives and teaching good behaviors helps.

carla and mike
09-13-2004, 01:08 PM
I think you should only take the couch out from the garage for company.LOL (Just kidding).I'm sure it will be OK.:D

lizzielou742
09-13-2004, 01:39 PM
I'd let her on the couch and see how she reacts, and go from there. Some cats don't even like the feel of leather on their paw pads, so you may not even encounter a problem. I agree with what others have posted above about trimming their nails. I trim my cat's nails about once a week or more if needed, and that really helps. If the nail has a blunt edge, it's harder for it to puncture something. I have never tried Soft Paws, but I have only heard great things about them. I know you can get them here at PetSmart. I use the squirt bottle trick too, mostly to keep the cats off the coffee table while eating in front of the TV. I spray as little as possible (a few drops works!!), never near the head (always on the hips) and am finding now that if I just pick up the bottle and shake it, they know what that means and jump down. :) And I'd try to make sure there is a scratching post in the same room as the couch. That way, the kitty has somewhere else to get a good stretch in if he needs to, and doesn't have to go far. :)

Good luck! :D