PDA

View Full Version : Bathing Kitties

NoahsMommy
08-16-2001, 02:06 PM
Has anyone ever bathed their kitties? We gave Noah a quick bath last weekend because his fur seemed a little oily. It was not fun for him :( but only took a total of 60 seconds! He is all nice and fluffy! :D
(He dried off in less than 10 minutes.)

Does anyone else bathe their little ones?

NoahsMommy
08-16-2001, 02:51 PM
Hi,
Noah is gong to be 13 weeks old this Sunday, so he is really young. :) He didn't like the bath, but once I got him out of the water and into a warm towel, he just sat there. He was so cute! :D

We used kitten shampoo and only did his body. I was afraid to get anything on his face.

We got him a brush but he thinks we are playing when we brush him! :rolleyes: Silly kitten! I think I will try brushing him while he's sleepy, maybe that will work? :confused:

Do your Persians like baths?

cr7clark
08-16-2001, 03:09 PM
Hi NoahsMommy,
You are doing the right thing by starting to bathe Noah at an early age. Eventually, your cat will become used to taking a bath and will also eventually get used to being brushed. Noah may never actually welcome these events, but he will become tolerant of them. :p
Do you clip Noah's nails? If not, you might want to introduce this bit of grooming to him as well, while he is young. When I clip Bo's nails, I always give her a treat afterwards so she knows I appreciate how good she's been. (Bo LOVES to be brushed!) :D Cats can be trained to tolerate bathing and grooming, especially if they know they will get a treat afterwards, be it food or lots of attention from their humans. ;)

TheAntiPam
08-16-2001, 04:07 PM
Starting young is very good advice. Each cat is different, but if you start young, they will tolerate the attention much better.

I have a 2 yr old cat that I rescued at 2 weeks old. Since I took care of him round the clock, he got used to me touching and grooming him. This has really paid off when we go to the vets. He is much more relaxed because he is used to being touched.

Some cats never will adjust, but give it a few tries. Both kitty and human can benefit!

thelmalu99
08-16-2001, 04:19 PM
Hi Noah's Mommy,
I bathed my first and second cats. Sydney, my first cat, didn't like it too much but he learned to tolerate it because I started him very young.
Charlie didn't like it either, although he was easier than Sydney. He learned to just sit there and let me get it over with as quickly as possible.
I now have two new kitties, one is two years old and the other is six months. I'm going to try and bathe Danny, the six month old, but I don't think that Elvis, the two year old will accept it.
The best advice I can give you is START YOUNG.

wolflady
08-16-2001, 05:08 PM
Yes, I agree that it's much easier to start the kitties young if you plan on bathing them on a regular basis. My family has always bathed cats because of allergies that run in the family. Bathing every few months seems to help that. It also has seemed to help our Scooter with his "dander-iff" problem (the white flecks just were starting to look really bad against his black fur parts). Although, our boys still do not like baths and it takes both of us working together to get the task done. :rolleyes: But, in the end, we have a nice, fluffy clean smelling cat!! LOL :D

4 feline house
08-16-2001, 08:35 PM
Please remember that unless there are unusual circumstances, cats don't need baths. If they are ill, old or injured and therefore cannot groom themselves, a bath may be in order. If they get into something extremely messy or poisonous, like motor oil or anitfreeze, they need to be bathed. Otherwise, you may be doing more harm than good since cats have a tendency to dry skin and chilling. Think this through carefully and get your vet's opinion if one of the above situations does not apply. I hope I don't sound like I'm lecturing, and if the thinking has changed on this among cat experts and vets, someone fill me in!

anoushka
08-16-2001, 11:46 PM
Bathing kitties can be a tough experience :eek: !

My kids never accepted it. I think I waited too long to introduce them to it. Last year, I discovered Quick Bath, which is a moist towelette. My little boy, Norman, loves to be groomed with one of these. His sister, Isabelle, isn't too thrilled by the experience.

Has anyone else tried these for quickie-baths?

A

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: anoushka ]

NoahsMommy
08-17-2001, 11:17 AM
Quicki Bath?? That sounds so great! Where did you get it? :D

thelmalu99
08-17-2001, 12:35 PM
Anoushka,
I just bought a package of those quick bath towelettes for my 2-year old, Elvis. I have a feeling that if I try to bathe him he will tear me to ribbons! LOL! I'm glad to hear that your cat likes them. I hope Elvis doesn't give me a hard time.
My little one, Danny, is only six months old, so I will try to bathe him. LOL, I went to Petco to buy his shampoo and I couldn't believe how expensive it was! His shampoo costs more than mine! LOL!!

Mila's Mommy
08-17-2001, 02:06 PM
Bathing can be very traumatic at first, but by starting young, eventually your sweety will tolerate it just fine.

We try to make the experience as nice as possible for Mila.

While she is in the tub, we heat up a towel in the dryer, then I wrap her in it after the bath and I rock her like a baby for 15-20 minutes.

Then my husband gets out the hair dryer, which she loves!! :D ...and he dries her with it. She purrs and walks back and forth in front of the hot air.

We then end the whole experience with a bowl of tuna!!!

(Can you say "Silly Yuppies"?)

Oh well, we have no children and she is our purrincess. :p

Ann
08-17-2001, 08:23 PM
i think we used to bath our kitties, just to get them used to it at an early age... that really didnt work well tho since they both still hate it! heres a lil picture showing just how much Oliver dislikes it:

http://www.taintedthoughts.com/peachkin/pics/ollie-bath.jpg

AvaJoy
08-18-2001, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house:
<STRONG>Please remember that unless there are unusual circumstances, cats don't need baths. If they are ill, old or injured and therefore cannot groom themselves, a bath may be in order. If they get into something extremely messy or poisonous, like motor oil or anitfreeze, they need to be bathed. Otherwise, you may be doing more harm than good since cats have a tendency to dry skin and chilling. Think this through carefully and get your vet's opinion if one of the above situations does not apply. I hope I don't sound like I'm lecturing, and if the thinking has changed on this among cat experts and vets, someone fill me in!</STRONG>

I'm in agreement. I have never had any need to bathe my 2 rescues.

I have heard that if you are going to attempt it with a cat the has never been baptized, first put a window screen in the tub or sink for the claws to grip, thereby encouraging a feeling of stabilization and lessening the trauma . . . somewhat like a security blanket. But just in case, don't forget to wear those heavy duty welder's gloves that extend up to the elbows! ;)

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: AvaJoy ]

4 feline house
08-18-2001, 10:46 PM
Avajoy - baptized! - hehe!

NoahsMommy
08-19-2001, 12:01 AM
Baptized!? That is so cute! I am going to tell Noah he is going to be baptized instead of taking a B-A-T-H!!

hee hee, VERY cute!!!

anoushka
08-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Noah's Mommy,

I bought Quick Bath at PetSmart, but I'm sure you could find them elsewhere. :)

auggie
08-19-2001, 08:37 PM
Thanks 4 feline and Ava Joy
I decided that Cats don't need bathing after I wound up with bloody scraches on my Stomach, Arms and Neck. And this was my petite little Angel who came shooting out of the Water and climbed up on me. I would never ever attempt to bathe my 16 pound Psycho Cat.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/4Q/il/hS/0p98573.jpg

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: auggie ]

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: auggie ]

NoahsMommy
08-20-2001, 10:21 AM
Great! I'll go check them out.

We bathe Noah in the shallow kitchen sick, with a wet towel so he wont slip or get scared.....such a sweet little thing!!

This morning I caught him in the bath tub!! :p

Gio
08-20-2001, 11:00 AM
Mine are strictly indoor cats so there is no real need for them to take a bath. I did bathe Maya when I first got her home, she was infested with fleas and all really dirty since she was found in a muddy field, the vet recommended a shampoo that would get rid of the fleas. She loves water but it has to be her decision to play with it. My Gigio is really old and finds it sometimes difficult to groom himself so I just use a sponge.

Ila
08-20-2001, 12:18 PM
We discussed this with our veternarian and he told us unless Misty our cat has for some reason for me to bathe her medically it is not necessary to do so. Cats are a very clean animal and if bathed it could make their skin very dry. Also it is hard to get the soap whatever kind completely out of their hair and they lick a lot and is digesting this soap which can make them sick. He suggested letting Misty clean herself. She does well enough job. Just keeping her brushed daily is good enough. That is from our vet that we have had for 20 or more years. I feel he knows what is best for my cats he has several of his own. Hope I could help. ;)

NoahsMommy
08-21-2001, 05:23 PM
Since Noah's first (and only, so far) bath, he has been really clean. We only bathed him because his fur was getting oily. I don't know why it was that way, but we wanted to make sure he was clean.

I will try those Quick-Bath wipes from Petsmart! Thanks!! :D

P.S. Just got the pitures back from his first bath, they are so CUTE!!! Poor baby!

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: NoahsMommy ]

Jasper's Mom
08-24-2001, 06:25 AM
I don't bathe my cats, only small feral kittens I receive. After they're bigger, I choose to not be a wounded, bitten, scratched and battered person.

My cats are nice and clean, shiny and soft. I only bathe the feral because they've usually got fleas and have lots of dirt in their fur. Once is enough!!!!!

Former User
09-24-2001, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy:
<STRONG>Hi,
Noah is gong to be 13 weeks old this Sunday, so he is really young. :) He didn't like the bath, but once I got him out of the water and into a warm towel, he just sat there. He was so cute! :D

We used kitten shampoo and only did his body. I was afraid to get anything on his face.

We got him a brush but he thinks we are playing when we brush him! :rolleyes: Silly kitten! I think I will try brushing him while he's sleepy, maybe that will work? :confused:

Do your Persians like baths?</STRONG>

Hey, let Noah play with the brush first! Our humans gave our brush for us for a day before they started brushing us. We totally accept the fact that they brush us, although most of the time we'd love to play with the brush
:D
We haven't ever had a bath,and our humans said that only if we are filthy, then they will bathe us. So, we make sure we are clean :D

Mao
09-24-2001, 04:36 PM
I just gave my 10 year old kitty a bath. He was a little stinky, so we bathed him. He looked like a skeleton when we were done. He wasn't happy, but he only hissed when we were drying him off. Needless to say, he was indignant the rest of the night.