PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* Hurricane Ivan

Kfamr
09-10-2004, 01:05 PM
We're boarding up the windows right now.
Once I post this i'm going to pack some things up for the mutts and get them ready *just in case* we do decide to get out of here.
I'm also going to take pictures of the house.

If we do leave, we're going to go to Tennesee or Michigan.. or somewhere up north.
I hope we do leave because I really do not want to go through this. I'd rather lose my house then my family.

But... what do I do with the fish?
Do I risk it and leave them here or do I risk it and bring them with?
I have a 25 or gallon tank with 2 oscars and a pleco.

What do I bring, what do I leave?
I'm definitely bringing our computer tower. There's NO way i'm losing the pictures and memories of my dogs.

Please everyone stay safe. Val, you have our number, call if you need to.

*sigh* I hate Florida so much.

RobiLee
09-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Awwww, Kay. This is just horrible. I'm at a loss for words. Please be safe!

Robin :)

FizzGiggs_Mommy
09-10-2004, 01:17 PM
My father live in Key Largo. I have not talked to him to see if he is leaving or going to stick it out I sure do hope he comes to visit me for a couple of days.

Equus217
09-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I am so sorry that you and so many others are having to endure such a trying time.

You have much love and prayers being sent your way. I can't even begin to know what you must be feeling.

If it were me I would definately bring my computer, as well as photo albums, my jewelery. Of course aside from my family and furkids, my memories and things that were gifts/heirlooms would be most precious.

Try to focus on you and your family's health and well-being,
and I would try to bring my fish, if you expect to get hit that badly by Ivan. I know its difficult to move them but at least you made an attempt to save them too.

Good luck, we'll be praying for you

HoRsELUvR
09-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Im sorry.Be safe, and if its not too big a hassle, you might want to bring the fish. I dont know how hard you expect to be hit. Most importantly, keep yourself safe.

Harmanie
09-10-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm praying for you Kay.

What is with the weather in florida??? I mean I know that it is hurricaine season and all but COME ON!!!!!

Prayers to all.

I don't really know what to say Kay, But good luck! I just pray that Ivan GOES AWAY!

My Peanuts
09-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh no Kay! I didn't know Ivan was coming your way. I'll pray that everything is ok. If you want to bring the fish you could put them in a bucket. It's just a thought. It might be easier to transport than a tank.

lizzielou742
09-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Kay, I am so sorry you have to go through this again. I hope your house and all your family stays safe.

As for the fish...I have had experiences moving fish...they do not do well at all traveling. One of mine died when I was moving from Louisville to Lexington - he was only out of his tank and in a bucket for an hour. :( They just don't travel well. They get sick from the movement, the lack of oxygen, temperature changes, etc. I would recommend trying to move the fishtank to somewhere safe in the house (basement, bathroom, etc.) and covering it with a piece of plywood if it doesn't already have a cover. I'd leave one of those time-release food capsules in there on the day you evacuate. The pleco should take care of any algae in the case that your filter stops working due to loss of power. The risks of leaving the fish are:

1) you could lose power to the house, which would also mean no air pump, filter, or heating/cooling. However, they would not have any of these things while traveling either until you reached a hotel room or something where you could set up a small tank, if you have one.

2) something could hit the tank and break it, which is why I suggest putting it in the safest part of the house and making sure it's covered and protected as much as possible.

I think the risks of taking the fish with you outweigh the risks of leaving them at home, especially if you're traveling all the way to Tennessee or Michigan. This is all just my opinion of course.

I can't imagine what it must be like for you Floridians. Is you school even open, Kay? I think it's probably a good idea to back up your pictures on your computer somehow (or just take the whole thing with you, like you said) but I can't really think about what I would take besides the important stuff (papers, photos, medicine, etc.). At least you do have a little bit of time to prepare.

You know my grandparents do live very close to you, and it's wearing on them a lot, having to travel so much. It's expensive too: hotel rooms, gas if you can find it, plane tickets, not being able to work, damage to property, etc. It's just madness.

Again, I will be thinking of you and all the other PTers in Florida. Let us know when/if you decide to leave.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Kay, I really hope you stay safe:( I am so worried about you and all the other Floridians, the weather channel here said that it's going to be alot worse than the Frances and Charlie. I hope and pray everyone will be okay.

Aspen and Misty
09-10-2004, 03:00 PM
My sister took her at the time 12 inch Oscar with her to South Carolina. I'm not sure how you feel about your fish, but my sister wouldn't considering leaving the lil guy behind in PA.

How she transported him the 13 hours :

She bought a large Tub (tote w/e) for 5 or 6 dollars
She bought an Air pump (10.00 ??)
Seh bought a thing to make it so the air pump could conect into the cigrate lighters ($20 ro $30, I think)
She bought him a FULL bottle of Stress Coat ($5 Dollars)

and he was ready to go. She placed all of his rocks on the bottom of his tube and then she put the air filter in and the stress coat.

Good luck, I hope you get everything you need and that you dont' have to leave. If it comes to that I hope you are ok and the trip goes quickly.

Ashley

bluekat
09-10-2004, 03:19 PM
I feel so sorry for all you guys who have to go through this..:( {{{hugs}}} Please stay safe! I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts.:)

As for the fish...I really don't know. If its not alot of work to transport them, then do it. But if it is, then I would just leave them I guess...

Good luck!

Kfamr
09-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Ash, I really do not want to leave them behind, but there's no way we could put them in the cab of the trick with us and 3 dogs (where the cigarette lighter is)

They'd have to stay in the bed of the truck.

Tweety_Pie
09-10-2004, 03:54 PM
aww Kay... I am really sorry you have to go through this! I will for sure keep you, your family, and your furkids in my thoughts!

Good Luck! PLEASE stay safe!

Logan
09-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Kay, I don't know what to tell you about the fish, but if it were me and I was faced with what you are from a transportation standpoint, I think I'd do what I can to protect the tank, leave food and leave the fish at home. I know it isn't a great alternative, but either way, they are at risk.

I wish you and your family the best of luck in this situation. I know you just have to be sick of this weather.

Logan

KYS
09-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Kay and others, wishing
you all to be safe.

sisterdog
09-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Kay,
There are battery operated air pumps - look in a store that sells fishing stuff. Fishermen use them to keep their bait buckets aerated. Just a thought if you want to take the fish with you.

Aspen and Misty
09-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Thanks guys.

Ash, I really do not want to leave them behind, but there's no way we could put them in the cab of the trick with us and 3 dogs (where the cigarette lighter is)

They'd have to stay in the bed of the truck.

Is there any way to run air back to them?? I'm not sure how long they could last without it.

Ashley

Kfamr
09-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Unless we bashed our window out, no. :p

My pleco lived in a bucket ofr a week while we were repairing the tank.

I think if we do leave we'll just secure the tank.
I doubt my dad want to haul them around.

They have a better chance here than they do traveling.

Aspen and Misty
09-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
. Is you school even open, Kay?

I was also wondering this.

Ashley

Aspen and Misty
09-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Unless we bashed our window out, no. :p

Whats a window? ;)

You could try the cordless air pump like mentioned.

If you do leave them home I would buy wood and build a "box" around them like earlier suggested.

Ashley.

Kfamr
09-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Today we have the day off (Pro-Ed day or something) , Monday and Tuesday of this week were closed.

There's not telling what's going to happen next week.
Our school is not a shelter (we're in flood area) but if needed they close all of Pinellas county schools, even those that don't act as a shelter.

Kfamr
09-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Whats a window? ;)

Alot of money we don't have, especially if our house is in danger. :p

No worries, if I did leave them home they would be secured.

Fox-Gal
09-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Good luck Kay, I'm still praying that it doesn't hit us again. Fingers crossed.

As for your fish, get the battery operated pump for them one way or another. Even if you don't take them with you, it can help at home if your power is off for awhile. If you take them with you, you can always do small water changes on route. Get the air pump and the start right add fresh water as you travel. Then take your normal filter for when you get to where your going.

We did this once with a knife fish, put him in a rubber maid tub, did small water changes to freshing up his water and once we got to where we where going hooked the filter to the tub and a clip on light on the side and he was fine and happy.

Corinna
09-10-2004, 07:56 PM
So glad to see you fox gal I have used a bttery operated pump they are terriffic . But if you can't get one just have dad stop every hour ( pups need to pee works great) and just bloww bubbles for 5 mintues. Its not the best but it does work I've had to do that too. Good luck to all and I'll be praying for you.

Felicia's Mom
09-10-2004, 09:08 PM
No advice, I just want to wish you good luck!

BitsyNaceyDog
09-10-2004, 10:12 PM
What do I bring, what do I leave?
I'm definitely bringing our computer tower. There's NO way i'm losing the pictures and memories of my dogs.

I have a little experience with evacuating, this is a list of some of the things you may want to take:

For the Animals:
Dog leashes (of corse be sure they are wearing their tags)
Dog food (enough for several days)
treats
food & water dishes
Shot records
a pet first aid kit (in it I have things like vet wrap, panalog, nail clippers, an extra leash, a muzzle, quick stop, scissors, eye wash, ear wash, nutri-cal, advantage, heartgurd, etc.)
crates
blankets
toys
medication (even if they rarely need it)
bottled water

For you:
Plenty of clothes
a couple pairs of shoes
pillow, blanket
Bathroom things (soap, shampoo, razor, toothbrush, etc.)
Medication (both prescription and non prescription)
band-aids
cell phones and car chargers
address book
camera
batteries
alarm clock

other:
Your parents need to gather up their important papers and take them:
Insurance papers (home owners, car, health)
title to there house
marriage and birth certificates
jewelry and other valuable things
bills
credit cards
*plenty of cash*
a cooler and any food or drinks you will want on your drive

things to do before you leave your house:
unplug everything
turn off your a/c
shut of your water
fill your tubs with water (your washing machine too, maybe)
bring everything from outside in to the garage, shed or house
you may want to take pictures of valuable things at the house (for insurance purposes)
throw out food in the fridge (it's a rather gross job to do after things have been in there a couple days without power)

Fill up your gas tank a couple days early and try not using that car to save the gas. As the storm gets closer the gas supply will diminish. People will be filling up their cars and getting gas for their generators. The gas supply WILL run out. I can not stress the importance of this enough.

That's all I can think of right now, I hope it helps.
Good luck Kay, if you need anything let me know.

lizzielou742
09-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey KBlaix, just wondering - what does filling up the tubs with water do?

/no hurricane experience here ;)

Aspen and Misty
09-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Alot of money we don't have, especially if our house is in danger. :p

No worries, if I did leave them home they would be secured.

Agreed! LOL, no doubt in my mind that they will be the BEST taken care of fishies!! :D

Ashley :)

BitsyNaceyDog
09-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
Hey KBlaix, just wondering - what does filling up the tubs with water do?

/no hurricane experience here ;)

We have a well and when there is no power we can't even flush a toilet, and the power is out for days (weeks for some people). I didn't think about it but Kay probably has city water, so that won't be something she will need to do.

Cincy'sMom
09-11-2004, 03:31 PM
The latest projected path I saw had Ivan missing most of Florida...not good for the panhandle and I'm sure there could be outer bands stil affected those on the gulf coast, but everyday the projection looks a little more promsing of rthose in Florida. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Kfamr
09-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replies guys...

The thing about the paths and all.. Charley was supposed to hit us dead on.

Did he? No.

Ivan is supposed to miss us..... will he? Who knows.

Harmanie
09-11-2004, 04:04 PM
{{{hugs}}}
and good luck to you.

petslover
09-11-2004, 04:09 PM
yeah.. i'm here wishing you guys the best of luck.

Cincy'sMom
09-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the replies guys...

The thing about the paths and all.. Charley was supposed to hit us dead on.

Did he? No.

Ivan is supposed to miss us..... will he? Who knows.

I know it is so hard to tell...but the further away from Florida they "say" it willgo, the more hopeful I am! I check every few hours at www.noaa.com The 5pm predicition had the storm not hitting Florida til Wednesday, and in the panhandle right on the AL/Gorgia line.

lizzielou742
09-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Wow...check this picture out!

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2004255-0911/Ivan.A2004255.1610.2km.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope it slows down and weakens. Everything I am hearing now says it could hit the panhandle....but there's really no way to know for sure, I guess.

delidog
09-12-2004, 04:29 PM
OuCH!!!!