PDA

View Full Version : Tail end of the FL Huricans in Canada

kingrattus
09-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Well today was an enteresting work day.

Left home to catch the bus 5 blocks away & got soaked & I was wearing a plastic rain coat.

It was soo bad here in Ottawa, that the parking lot had flooded to over 2 feet deep (so I was told by staff, I refussed to go outside to find out).

I server so many drowned rats (as in only 50 people, super slow day).

& to the good part.

It was raining so hard & the wind was so strong that our NEW store was flooding :(

The poor guys had to stand at the loading doors to vacuum up the water that kept blowing in ALL day long. Then at lunch time RX's waiting section was flooding. it was coming through the walls!!!

The stock room smelled sooo bad, the guys were trying to block the water with cardboard boxes, but it didn't help & they were falling apart & smelling up the place.

In the south end several streets were closed due to flooding & sewage backup.

One of the RX ladys had to go home early because during rain stormes like this her street floods (Kanata was too darn cheap to put in proper sewer pipes, so those poor people r stuck with extra small pipes that backup quickely) & all the houses on her street flood really bad. She said thay all get 3-4 feet of water in ther FINISHED bassements.

The insurance companies will pay for the first flood & will cancle ur flood insurance for the next flood!!!!! I was shocked, I live only a few blocks away then her (ok more like 10 blocks), but were still in the same part of the city & we don't live anywhere near water at all & her STREET is now called a flood zone!! Stupid city, she said several of her neighbours r sueing the city for improper sewage pipes. She said if her home floods again, she joining her neighbours in sueing the city.. I hope they ALL win. This is BS treatment!!

Jods
09-09-2004, 11:29 PM
I live in Ontario as well... It was soo bad not as bad as Florida I know I'm still praying for you all... But this morning on the way to work I stopped at the red light and my car just kept on a going through all the water and right into the car in front of me:( I hope this woman is nice and doesn't make me pay too much... She was pretty mad at me. I felt sooo bad but, it's not like I was just not paying attention and hit her, it was the weather isn't that why we call it an accident. Well anyways she had some choice words for me.... :rolleyes: There wasn't even a mark on her car but as if she was going to admit that. whenever I said it doesn't look like a theres any scatches or anything she just kept saying I dunno, I dunno. Well just look at it then, I am and I see nothing!!! Sorry.. lol

lovemyshiba
09-10-2004, 12:06 AM
We had some rain yesterday too, but I cannot feel bad for myself--those people living in Florida have all of my sympathy and prayers.

chocolatepuppy
09-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Here in N.E. Ohio we had 4 1/2 inches of rain in one day! Spent Wed. night up babysitting the sump pump, if the power went out(it was windy) we would have been bailing! A few people I work with had flooded basements. The river in the next town was at flood stage. So we got the backlash from the storm. Nothing compared to the people in Florida though!:eek: Still thinking of everyone down there and praying Ivan goes away!!!

Tweety_Pie
09-10-2004, 06:44 AM
I know EXACTLY how you feal!:p

Yesterday my bus never came yesterday...so i ended up getting SOAKED and waiting an hour for a different bus to take to another station.. where I had to get on ANOTHER bus to go to my school!!!! Worst of all I was wearing a skirt.

The basement in our school got flooded... Im not sure how deep..

kingrattus
09-10-2004, 07:30 AM
I was told we got 10cm of rain yesterday, during that rain storm & the wind reached 41km/hr.

lovemyshiba, I was just sharing the strange weather here. We don't get floods or rain like this here. So its quite strange to us.

I know FL had it bad & its gonna get worse, & I feel sorry for them. But I feel sorry for the people here too. Could be just me, but I can feel sorry for any level of distruction people go through. It all ends up the same. Someone lost something special to them.