PDA

View Full Version : Cat dandruff

AmberLee
08-02-2001, 06:01 PM
Okay, weird question.

I've just started noticing dandruff flakes on Lady Olivia d'Flufferuni. It seems most concentrated along her spine from mid-back to the root of her tail. (Of course, this is where her black fur is most abundant, maybe it's just more noticable there.) Does she need something in her diet? I was thinking of adding fats to her kibble, but she has a bit of a weight problem. In fact, she has pudged up recently and perhaps she can't groom herself along her spine as well as she once did. Does this sound reasonable?

Does dandruff mean something serious in a cat? :confused:

4 feline house
08-02-2001, 06:24 PM
All cats are prone to it, especially on their backs, and especially overweight cats. If you are concerned about adding more fat to her diet, you might try a supplement. Most pet stores and your vet sell them.

AmberLee
08-02-2001, 06:27 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. (Major duh, but I hadn't thought of it.) I'll check with her vet tomorrow.

wolflady
08-02-2001, 08:00 PM
Hi Amberlee, I totally know what you mean about those flakes!! They really show up against black fur! Our Tux cat had a lot of it showing on his black fur down his back as well. I was thinking it was the dander buildup from all the licking and grooming that he does, so we ended up giving him a bath and it really helped. I have been giving cats baths for years(because some family members have cat allergies and bathing helps cut down the reactions), but it had been awhile since Scooter had his last bath. We've really slacked in that dept since we moved out here to CA!!! We usually like to (try) and give our cats baths once every other month or so. There are cat shampoos out there on the market, but I've found that regular gentle baby shampoo works just fine :D

Although, when my cat Marius was overweight, he had trouble grooming himself...so that could be a factor as well. The supplements are worth a shot! Let us know what happens! Happy de-flaking! :D :o

AmberLee
08-06-2001, 03:07 PM
Stopped by the vet after work Friday and got a suppliment to add to her food. She seems to like the taste (so far, so good).

Livvy is very shy of water, so I've hestitated washing her. The vet suggested a dry shampoo. (After severe warnings about not using one formulated for humans on her...)

I'll let you know how it all goes, but it seems to be helping after just a couple days! :D :) Let's hope it continues improving. :D

Cynthia
08-06-2001, 03:39 PM
AmberLee, I'm so glad you posted this question because my tuxedo Manx Stump has the same thing going on. I thought it might have had something to do with the undercoat he has, but I'm intrigued by the notion of (ahem) extra weight. Stump had lost some weight last fall/winter due to a hyperactive thyroid, but after treatment he's filled back out so maybe he's overdone it! I also checked with the vet, who provided a supplement; unfortunately, Stump's not fond of the taste and he's been able to detect it in his food and even in a bit of tuna! I've been brushing him a lot more and will continue to do so; think I'll also try the dry shampoo. By all means, please let us know how things go! Many thanks!

AmberLee
08-08-2001, 01:30 PM
Update: Livvy has quit eating anything with the suppliment on it, at least for the last 24 hours, so I've backed off on using it. :rolleyes:

The dry shampoo, extra brushings, and possibly the couple days of suppliment have made a big improvement. Right now there are no more flakes and her pelt is quite glisteny. Fingers crossed that this continues. :D

cr7clark
08-09-2001, 11:34 AM
My Bo has had dandruff ever since she was four months old. I've tried supplements, shampooings, etc. but the stuff always comes back. Bo is not fat and she grooms constantly, so in her case I just think she has ectopic dermatitis (the fancy name for dandruff). Her previous owner suggested I take a dryer sheet (like Snuggle) and pet her back with it, it would help remove the dandruff from her fur and make her look better. I haven't done the dryer sheet thing yet because the dandruff doesn't bother Bo or me. If Bo has to have a health problem, this is the one to have because it's fairly innocuous although not pleasing to look at. :rolleyes:

catwoman
08-09-2001, 05:20 PM
Bos Mom,

This may sound crazy, but my Thelma has dandruff and I use one of those pethair-remover rollers on her. Works much better than the dryer sheet, and she LOOOOOVES it. She will come running if she sees me pick it up. It also takes off some of the dead hair and (I imagine) some dander to boot.

This has been a life-saver for me, because Thelma is one of those rare kitties with no tolerance for the brush.

Try it, and see if Bo likes it!

Catwoman

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: catwoman ]

rhonni
08-10-2001, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by manxcat:Hey manxcat, I have a Tuxedo Manx also!! I would love to see a picture of yours!!
<STRONG>AmberLee, I'm so glad you posted this question because my tuxedo Manx Stump has the same thing going on. I thought it might have had something to do with the undercoat he has, but I'm intrigued by the notion of (ahem) extra weight. Stump had lost some weight last fall/winter due to a hyperactive thyroid, but after treatment he's filled back out so maybe he's overdone it! I also checked with the vet, who provided a supplement; unfortunately, Stump's not fond of the taste and he's been able to detect it in his food and even in a bit of tuna! I've been brushing him a lot more and will continue to do so; think I'll also try the dry shampoo. By all means, please let us know how things go! Many thanks!</STRONG>

Cynthia
08-10-2001, 03:40 PM
Hi Rhonni! Another tux Manx! BosMom also has one! As soon as I can get photos scanned, I'll post. Would love to see yours too -- aren't they gorgeous??? :) :)

AvaJoy
08-15-2001, 10:12 PM
Lily, too, has dandruff along her spine. I notice it only when I brush her. She is elderly and a bit overweight, and has never been much of a groomer. I considered trying a supplement, then decided that the flakes probably don't signify a serious health problem . . . but now I will ask my vet next time we go.

cr7clark
08-16-2001, 06:15 AM
Hey Rhonni & Manxcat....
Let's hear it for the Tuxedo Manx Fan Club! I will also post pics of my Bo as soon as I remember to get them scanned!
:D :D
Catwoman, I will try the lint roller trick to see if this cleans up Bo's dandruff. Bo loves to be brushed, so I think she'll have no problem with the roller.
Thank you very much. :)

anoushka
08-17-2001, 12:42 AM
Interesting about the ...ahem....not-skinny kitty/flake association. Norman is a big boy who thinks he is still the starving baby he once was. He suffers from flakes, too. I thought it was because he is not the best groomer in the world. I try to comb him on a regular basis, but the flakes keep coming! :p

Davis Family
08-19-2001, 01:33 PM
The dandruff on our cat Smokey's back looks like stars in another galaxy. (He's a gray-furred cat, and he might be part Russian-blue) We don't think he can reach back there when he licks himself.

-Davis twin sons

AmberLee
08-19-2001, 07:53 PM
Hi all! I'm just back from out of state. My pet sitter had better luck getting Livvy to take her food suppliment than I had and Olivia's looking very good right now. Fingers crossed that we're on to the right fix for her.

(I missed you guys -- I actually wrote a soppy farewell message with tons of Instant Icons in it just before I left, but it turns out that 8+ icons reject a message automatically. I didn't leave enough time to retype the message, so I vanished without a trace. You didn't miss much, but I was hoping you'd all hug your fur-babies in memory of my week long fur deprevation. But you all psychically knew that and did it anyway, didn't you!) Regards all! It's great to be home and get constant fur-fixes and exchange messages with you all...

AL

4 feline house
08-19-2001, 10:17 PM
So THAT'S what that little voice in my head, chanting "must....pet.....cats" was all about!! He he! Welcome back!

AmberLee
08-20-2001, 08:14 PM
Dear 4 Feline House!

Classic! ROTF!

"must ... feeeeed ... cats" -- um, this message must be from Cassy and Livvy.

:D