PDA

View Full Version : Don't Make This Lethal Mistake

MHMama
07-30-2001, 09:31 PM
Two months ago, I went to put the flea medication on my cat, Pinky (10 years old), I didn't have my glasses on and just reached on top of the refrigerator like I always do. I put it on her and that was that.
The next day when we came home from work, Pinky was shaking and almost in seizures. I rushed her to the Vet Hosp. and they said right away, you must have given her dog flea medication. I couldn't believe that I could have made such a mistake. They started an IV on her and said they would be giving her several baths and working on her but not to worry, cats don't usually die from this. At 1am, the Vet called and said that Pinky had "coded" three times and could they let her go. I was so devastated. I killed my beloved cat out of pure stupidity. Now I tell everyone, if you have dogs and cats, don't get the flea medicine mixed up. :(

Logan
07-30-2001, 10:27 PM
What a terrible thing to have happen, and what an easy mistake to be made for those of us who have cats and large dogs!
Please don't beat yourself up about it. It was a terrible, tragic accident. I know you are grieving for your Pinky. I am very, very sad for you.
Thank you for sharing your story. It will certainly make me be much more careful in the future.
Logan

aly
07-30-2001, 11:48 PM
Oh gosh, I am so sorry that happened. :( :( Don't blame yourself. You aren't stupid. It was a very tragic accident like Logan said. I am so scared I'm going to do this one day now. Thanks for the warning. I am so sorry about Pinky :(

4 feline house
07-31-2001, 08:20 AM
MHMama, please accept my condolences for the loss of your beloved Pinky. And thanks for warning us to be careful with our furry friends.

I, too, carry the guilt of committing a stupid little mistake that cost the lives of all three of my kitties I had at the time. It is a very difficult thing to get over. In fact, I felt so guilty that, after having had cats for 40 years (we had cats when I was born) I swore I would never have another, because they weren't safe in my hands. I think God was telling me that wasn't true, though, because a few months later a pregnant little homeless kitty showed up at my door and let herself in.

We all make mistakes. Sadly, sometimes those mistakes have tragic results. But Pinky was truly loved and had a wonderful 10 years. That's alot more than some kitties get because they never had loving humans taking care of them, and she knows that.

Gio
07-31-2001, 08:53 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. I understand how bad you must feel but as the the warning, I was not even aware that there was such a big difference between the two types of product.

thelmalu99
07-31-2001, 09:28 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry!!
It was a terrible accident, but I'm sure Pinky knows you never meant to hurt her.
You're very brave and kind for sharing your story and warning others of the potential danger.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

catwoman
07-31-2001, 09:56 AM
Oh MHMama, I am so sorry. Know that Pinky is looking down at you fondly from the rainbow bridge, grateful for the ten years of love you gave her. I'm sure Pinky has already forgiven you for your innocent mistake ... now you need to forgive yourself.

Thank you for sharing your story, which may save other pets lives.

Catwoman

wolflady
07-31-2001, 12:43 PM
MHmama, I'm so very sorry to hear about Pinky!! What a tragic thing to happen, but it was an accident. I didn't realize the significant difference between the products either! Thanks for sharing this story. Homes with dogs and cats could easily run the risk of having the same thing happen. You and Pinky are in our thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

AmberLee
08-02-2001, 05:41 PM
{{{Dear MHMama}}},

How tragic. Thank you for alerting us to the danger -- what a shocker. You may have saved MANY cats by telling us of this. I hope you heal from the guilt you are feeling now and find a new fur-baby to give a wonderful home to.

MHMama
08-09-2001, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I am thinking that I should do this thread on the dog section too since many of us have both. I still have one cat which we adopted a week before the Pinky incident. That would be Lucy pictured below with Ricky. I am very careful with her flea medicine.
MHMama