PDA

View Full Version : Question for multicat households -re: claws

sirrahbed
09-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi all - most of you know we are about to add two new baby kitties to our three cat home. The three we have are declawed and the two new ones will not be declawed. I would like some suggestions (I HAVE been reading) about ways to train the new babies to use their posts, etc. I bought two sisal posts for them - and how to discourage them from scratching US. My daughter-in-love is going to teach us how to trim their claws and I still need to buy the little guillotine type trimmer that she suggested.

But mostly - I am wondering about the safety of our declawed babies. Emily and Eliot have back claws, but Dylan came to us with NO claws. I worry somewhat that the little ones will hurt the bigger ones in play or even aggression. Do some of you have mixed claw households and how does this work out?? Thanks for any and all tips.:)

K & L
09-09-2004, 12:46 PM
We have our first mixed household when Hazel joined us already declawed. Thatwas my worry also, but it has worked out. Hazel surprisingly can defend herself very well! Trimming the claws will help tremendously!

catcrazylady
09-09-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't have any declaws but since I do have the little ones with razor sharp claws I'm going to post anyway!;)
I trimmed the babies nails recently and boy it sure does help! It doesn't stop the climbing or playing but it prevents the needle like OWIE!!
I use regular fingernail clippers and just take off the very sharp tips of their nails. I don't think you are going to have any problems with the furbies as long as you keep those front claws trimmed.

Just wanted to say...I'm covered in scratches and having a ball!!!:D :D :D
(Before I trimmed their nails)

Laura's Babies
09-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Chester is declawed, the rest are not. Trimming the claws is easy but start when they are young and keep it up so they will get use to it. Chester is so much bigger than the rest of them that there isn't a problem with them hurting him.

You also might want to consider soft paws but start that too, when they are young.

aly
09-09-2004, 01:06 PM
I don't have any declawed cats here. I do have 8 cats with claws that wrestle and play all the time and never seem to hurt each other. They only hurt me when they come make biscuits on my bare legs!!

emily_the_spoiled
09-09-2004, 01:09 PM
I have a mixed household (Charlie came to me declawed) and I don't have any problems with their "wrestling".

I have also made sure there are plenty of scratching posts available for the other cats. When I first bring them into the house I use a combination of catnip spray on the scratching posts and the "cat off" on the furniture I don't want them to scratch and of course the odd spray. After about a week I usually don't have any problems with the furniture or other cats.

RedHedd
09-09-2004, 01:10 PM
These are the clippers I use for my two - easy to use:
http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/1/1894065026B.jpg

catnapper
09-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Hmm... trimming is definately the best thing to help. And with kittens, those little nails grow into little needles real fast! :D As they get older, they learn to play without extending their claws. Even when Pouncer was highly upset about the foster kittens, he never once swatted at them with claws exposed. So Iwould think it was most important to keep those kitten nails as dull as possible. I don't know how often you'd need to trim them.

When they start to scrtah things they shouldn't just pick them up and redirect their scrathing to the posts... thats what I did with my litle fosters last week. Its amazing how quickly those young ones learn! Someday you might be lucky and have a cat that never uses his/her claws. I hardly ever trim Allen's because he never ever uses them to scratch anything other than his post. I always forget he even has claws for that reason! :D Pouncer on the other hand can be a bit nawtee about what he scratches... but why should that be a surprise? :D

LaRana
09-09-2004, 01:29 PM
I use the same kind of trimmers as Redhedd uses.

When my cat was a kitten, he did the whole run-and-jump-on-mommy's-pant-legs-and-make-her-give-me-the-look-of-death-while-I-try-to-climb-up-her-leg. Then I tried using the softpaws things on him. It seemed to teach him initially that doing that was not a good idea. The first day after he got them on, he ran and jumped on my leg, and gave me this look like "WTH?!" with his airplane ears as he slowly slid down my leg. It was priceless.

It sure taught him to behave though. I don't use the softpaws on him anymore since he has learned that his scratch post is a good place to sharpen. Sometimes he does it on the carpet too, but that's probably because the scratchpost is the same color and texture as the carpet. I don't mind it too bad on the carpet since he usually only does it a couple of scratches. We have a black leather couch and he doesn't scratch it at all (intentionally).

Basically I use those little scissors when he's sleepy or otherwise calm. I take him in my lap, and I hold him down with my forearm/elbow and trim away. You just don't trim too close to the pink/blood area. Just enough to make it dull and not so curved. I keep the scissors in the living room for a quick trim whenever I notice a bit of an "ouch." He knooooooows what those scissors are.

He did another funny thing today - he was in my husband's way on the floor today, and he told the cat: "Move it, cat, or I'm going to step on you" and he took off running with that funny airplane ear face like: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" Hehehe :) Sitting on the ground in the middle of a 230 lb partially disabled man isn't a good way to stay plump :)

AmberLee
09-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I bought a bottle of liquid catnip that I 'touch up' the sisal posts with periodically. It seems to help remind the kids that the posts are there. :D

Although kittens don't react to catnip till they are around 6 months or so...

RedHedd
09-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by LaRana
Basically I use those little scissors when he's sleepy or otherwise calm. I take him in my lap, and I hold him down with my forearm/elbow and trim away. You just don't trim too close to the pink/blood area. Just enough to make it dull and not so curved. I keep the scissors in the living room for a quick trim whenever I notice a bit of an "ouch." He knooooooows what those scissors are. heh heh heh .... I do the same thing and my two also KNOW what those scissors are for!

Cinder & Smoke
09-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed

... I still need to buy the little
guillotine type trimmer that she suggested.

From a WUN-Kat, FULLY :eek: Klawed, howze...

Start EARLY, and *SNIP* Often!! :D

As RedHedd suggested, THIS STYLE >>

http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/1/1894065026B.jpg

... the Scissors style ~
is MUCH easier to use on a Kat!!

I "hold" da Boots half on my lap, with his rear end sort of
wedged / pinned into the back corner of an easy chair...
"Holding" the Target Paw in my left hand,
and *Snipping* with my right hand.
The Scissors style lends itself to being held at "right angles" or
along side of the Cat's nail -
and you can look down to see what you're doing.

Rear end?
*Flip* da Kat ~
(belly UP, head end at your chest, rear paws at your knees) on your lap -
HOLD ON TIGHT to the selected rear paw -
and chop away! :p
"Secret" is to convince Said Kat that with you holdin da Paw
in a Death Grip - "attempting to flee" is futile!

If da Boots puts up a *Phuss* (rare these days) -
I put on a long-sleeved shirt, and rest (or press if required)
on his chest / tummy with my "holding arm" will I chop on the rear end.

/s/ Phred (Head Klaw Chopper)

AmberLee
09-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Great technique, Phred!

I take the more cowardly 'sneak up on the napping cat, snip, and look VERY innocent' route. Much longer, but it leaves the cat very confused... And sometimes they switch napping spot to be less accessible.

nibblets
09-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I just have Julie, and she has her claws. She is very good about keeping her claws to herself. When she was little and she would try to scratch on the furniture I gently took her to her sisal scratcher and rubbed her paws on it in a scratching motion. When she would get to clawhappy playing, I would make a little whining noise and she would stop and look at me like 'I'm sorry'.
I don't know if this is a standard training method or not, but it worked for me. Now as far as other cats getting clawed...I haven't a clue. Julie has nailed the dog a few times, but for the most part, she keeps her claws to herself.

Edwina's Secretary
09-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I have a mixed household. Even though Eddie has his claws, is younger, and half again as big, Edwina swats him all the time. Of course it doesn't really faze Eddie. I have never seen him swat her back.

We trim their nails regularly using the "guillotine" type of nail scissors. We take the "two on one" approach. I hold the cat and the leg to which the claw is attached while my husband wields the scissors.

Randi
09-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Only about the last 6 months I've trimmed Fister's nails, only front! I've used much the same tecnique as Amberlee - "sneaked" up when he was sleeping, or sitting in the windowsill, pretending it was cuddle time, getting hold of his paw and snip off a bit of one or two nails at a time - sometimes even three!! :eek: He really doesn't seem to be aware of what's happening. :D Before I start, he likes to sniff the scissors. :rolleyes:

catmandu
09-10-2004, 09:24 AM
In tHe Found Cat Hotel,some of The Cats are declawed,they came to me,that way,and some have thier claws,as I hate declawing! And Cat Nip,on a scratching Post,will preserve the Furniture,and I ahve never,ever sen,the claw Cats,use thier Clwas,in anger,against each other!

QueenScoopalot
09-10-2004, 09:49 AM
I've rescued a few declawed cats, and one sweet boy Woody is living in a wonderful home with seven others all with claws. He's had no problems as they all get along wonderfully. When you get (or make) a scratching post, but sure that it's tall enough for an adult cat to stretch fully up it. I make my own from time to time, and use the posts from stockade fences. An 8 foot one cut in half is a perfect height. I take it one step further and before I wrap sisal rope up it, I stuff the holes with lots of fresh catnip! Then I rub some dried on the outside. If you make one, use a hammer to compact the rope as you go up, and screws (good sharp ones) to fasten it. That way it's easier to replace the rope.;)

jazzcat
09-10-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm good about regularly trimming their nails but I do use the same type as Redhedd, it is easier to use. Ripley will lay in my arms while I trim his, Scout I have to do while she's sleepy and Richard holds Jazz while I do it.

One other thing to keep in mind is the type of scratching post. Maybe you should also get a carpeted one in case someone prefers that. My cats will not touch anything sisal. The breakdown here is such:

Ripley loves extra tall carpeted posts only
Jazz loves the Alpine cardboard scratcher - she only uses the post to stretch on.
Scout will use either but claims the posts and chases Ripley away from them so I have to have plenty.

I really think you ought to get an alpine scratcher as an alternative for them. Just be prepared to clean up cardboard bits frequently.

Equus217
09-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

Start EARLY, and *SNIP* Often!! :D

I agree!! I adopted Vegas and Reno at 8 weeks. They were too sick then to put up a fight, but I trimmed very often. They are completely used to it, adn just lay on my lap and I do one little pawsie at a time!

Of course I choose my time wisely...if they are in a fiesty mood...fahgettabowdit!

Usually I have absolutely no problems...and I just use regular human clippers.

For the record: I didn't start clipping RB Lola's nails until she was a teenager...and this didn't go over well at all. I needed at least one extra person and a towel to help me clip her nails.

Starting young is the key I think!:D

jenluckenbach
09-10-2004, 01:42 PM
I have had clawed/declawed cats together in the past and never had a problem.

carla and mike
09-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Me and Mike trim nails for all 10 every 2-3 weeks.I do the trimming he holds them.It's quick and easy with 2 people.Just don't get too close.I only do the tips as I'm nervous to hurt them ,but I've been trimming my 2 old guys (15yrs) for so long it's better to do it often and just a little bit to get them use to the proceedure.Sometimes I only have to do 2 or 3 pointy ones but their all getting used to the table routine.
Maybe that's why noone goes on the kitchen table.
Of course It's sprayed down after,but good way to keep them off the table too.LOL:D
I'm not sure how they would mix with declawed.But I'm sure they'll learn and get used to staying away from anyone that hurts them.Good luck.

sirrahbed
09-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Well I sure do thank everyone for all the good replies! I am returning the guillotines for the scissor type which it turns out are the ones Christines uses afterall. I just thought I had bought the right ones but she also says the ones everyone recommends are easier for her also and she will show me her method - sounds pretty much like what you are telling me. Yes I will start it right away on the babies, too and that should be helpful. I have the two sisal posts I bought - will the carpet covered condos work for scratching if they like carpet better? One of the toys we have has a cardboard replaceable center and the outside is a trackball. The middle is supposed to be for scratching but since mine don't have claws, it is still like new - so maybe the kittens will use that? So - guess I have the surfaces and supplies covered - just need to learn the clipping technique and be good about doing it!!
The declawed cats are all adults - so I am hoping that they will "discipline" any kitten who tries to get aggressive with them right at the start:D I guess my biggest worry is Dylan who has NO claws at all and is so easy going:rolleyes: Crazy I know because he is as big as a dog - almost 20 pounds but he never fights back!! Just a big ole oaf!! Doh-dee-doh-doh!