PDA

View Full Version : diabetes

Angeldazy_08
07-28-2001, 09:32 PM
hey does anyone have a kitty thats a diabetic? my kitty Chaucer is a diabetic. he gets 2 shots a day 7:00am and 7:00pm he has to eat a specail kitty food. poor thing hes 9 years old. and is the best kitty you could ever have!! :cool: if your pet is diabetic Chaucer would like to see other petz who has what he has!

aly
07-30-2001, 11:57 PM
I am thinking about rescuing a diabetic dog or cat from the shelter someday when I have room to take in another. The ones with diabetes at the city shelter here are not taken care of :( I have the disease myself and its AWFUL if not controlled.

4 feline house
07-31-2001, 08:34 AM
I thought my kitty had developed it when I noticed he was drinking bowls full of water and then peeing forever and ever. I took him to the vet convinced he was diabetic. I, too, am diabetic so I rcongnized the symptoms. What he had instead was kidney disease! What's funny is a few years later I started drinking glasses full of water, etc. even though my sugars were relatively under control. My next check up - guess what? I had kidney disease!

I've always been curious, since cats eat little carbohydrate, what kind of insulin do they get? U, N, L?

Pumkinkitty
08-03-2001, 03:37 PM
This is in regards to feline diabetes. I had a cat for 14 yrs. (BJ) he had diabetes for the last 6 years of his life :( I had to bive him his injections twice a day, along with a low diet cat food. He was on Humalin U and it varied depending on how his bld. sugars were. Toward the end I was checking his sugar myself by pricking his ear and testing the bld. I finally had to put him to rest when he developed a tumer on his pancreas. His Vet and I had discussed the fact a long time ago I would not put him through any prolonged life if it was no longer a good one. When the time came his Vet and myself sat in her office cried :( we knew it was the right thing to do. This has been 2 yrs. and I still think of him every day. Cats with feline diabetes can live a normal life if there sugar levels are kept in check. Good luck with yours.[/LIST]null

4 feline house
08-03-2001, 06:43 PM
My condolences on the loss of your kitty. You were a good furmom to check his bs's and give him his shots every day.

Angeldazy_08
08-04-2001, 09:11 AM
i dont know what kind of insulin he gets but he gets 2 units in the morning 1 unit at night hes healthy otherthen being diabetic!! :)

Catcrazed
08-04-2001, 05:09 PM
How terrible to have to give poor kittie a shot. To bad the don't make cat food with the stuff in it.

4 feline house
08-04-2001, 08:33 PM
Catcrazed-actually, the shots are completely painless. One of the insulins I take sometimes stings slightly cuz of the zinc in it, and since it's my "baseline" I take one large shot of it a day. But the regular I take three times a day causes absolutely no duscomfort. But the needles are so short and thin that you don't even feel them. Really. And, since inslin is a protein, it can't be eaten, lest it be digested. That's why we all have to take shots.

Incidentally, I've never figured out why they use those huge, one inch, 22 guage needles to give cat shots. I mentioned that last year to my vet. Imagine my surprise when, on the last annual visit, he was using insulin syringes for the vaccinations!

Laura
08-06-2001, 09:05 AM
My family's longest living kitty is diabetic. He was diagnosed in 1987. Kitty receives 2 shots a day, is fed soft food 3 times a day and loves to see that needle. He knows food is coming after the shot. He's 19 years old now. He's not that spry, and sleeps most of the day, but still meets my mom and dad at the door, beats them to the food bowl and gives a concert after he eats. We think he's a medical miracle! :D

Angeldazy_08
08-11-2001, 07:55 PM
my cat doesnt even flinch when he gets a shot but sometimes he meows like hey you woke me up!!! he knows when he needs his insulin he goes into our kitchen and meows untill he gets i couldn't ask for a better cat :cool: :) ;) :D