PDA

View Full Version : what group does your dog belong to?

BitsyNaceyDog
09-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I thought it would be interesting to see what types of dogs people have, rather than always classifying them by breeds.

Herding Dogs
such as cattle dogs, sheepdogs, german shepherds.

Hunting Dogs
such as pointers, retrievers, setters, and spaniels.

Sight hounds
such as greyhounds, Afghans, saluki.

spitz- type dogs
Spitz, Akita, papillon.

Scenthounds
such as beagle, basset, ridgeback, doberman.

Terriers
yorkie, pit bull, miniature schnauzer, dachshund.

Companion
Bulldog, shih tzu, chihuahua, poodle

These were the only groups I could think of, I put an "other" in case I forgot a group, or you dog doesn't fit into one of these groups.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Bitsy (pomeranian) is a spitz- type dog.
Charlie (miniature pinscher) is a terrier.
Buster (chihuahua) is a companion dog.
Nacey (pug) is a companion dog too.

I was thinking that we don't have many sight hounds or scent hounds on pet talk. That is actually the thought behind this poll.

Samantha Puppy
09-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Samantha is mainly a GSD/Retriever mix so I guess that makes her herding/hunting. I can definitely see the herding - when she starts running, she tucks her butt down and HAULS @$$ like no one's business. The hunting not so much though she's got a set of ears and a nose on her that never ceases to amaze me...

PJ's Mom
09-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Peej, being a Cocker is a hunting dog. For the record, all the neighborhood squirrels know about him, too. :D

cloverfdx
09-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Herding dogs :D.

Clover is a Rottweiler/ Australian Cattle Dog mix (Both herding breeds) and my Elvis is a Border Collie from a strong herding background.

My Mums dogs are Penny Jack russel terror mix so a terrier, and Theodore is a Chihuahua (Companion). :)

lovemyshiba
09-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Abbey, being the beagle-y mix that she is, probably would qualify as a scenthound--she sticks that nose to the ground and is off, until she loses the scent--or runs into the fence:)

Kito, the shiba inu, is a spitz type dog, but is also a hunter--shibas were bred to hunt rodents, and if he finds a little chipmunk or something outside, watch out!!

Riley, the labbie mix that he is, isn't interested in hunting much--but when he sees birds overhead, he stares and stares until they are out of site.

Jada, being the rottie, is my worker, I suppose. The strength and energy on this dog never cease to amaze me!! However, she is a bit of a hunter herself--if she sees a little mouse or something, and can't reach it, she will sit and stare at it for hours!!!

I guess mine are a good mix of everything, but mostly they are my companions:)

bizdevguy
09-09-2004, 11:15 AM
how about sidewalk terriers (aka, mixed breed)?

Tina
09-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Ginger is a Chi/Min Pin mix so I guess she is a Companion/Terrier.
I think she is more of a companion then a terrier though.

Reggie is a Dachshund/? mix so is she part Scenthound, I can tell by the way she has her nose to the ground sniffing things. She loves to hunt well at least she thinks she is.

Ember is a Golden Retriever/Springer Spaniel she is a hunting dog.

senorita02
09-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Working Group is where both my babies are categorized
Rottweiler
Presa Canario (Mastiff type breed)

cali
09-09-2004, 12:01 PM
she tucks her butt down and HAULS @$$ like no one's business

uhh thats not a herding dog thing, I have heard a ton of retriever people talk about it though. the "butt tuck" lol

I have herding breeds for the most part, border collies, berger des pyrenees.. and 2 terriers. I prefere herding dogs personally lol

aly
09-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Reece (Poodle) is actually in the Non-sporting group.
Lolly is a mix of Poodle/Dachshund/Terrier (her mom was for sure a Poodle/Dachshund mix - I met her), but I'd say she's far more terrier than anything else in her behavior.

Logan
09-09-2004, 12:30 PM
All 4 of mine are officially "hunting" dogs!!!! Yeah, right!!!! :D LOL!!!! :o

Smilla
09-09-2004, 12:37 PM
I chose sighthounds AND herding hounds, since Lefty is a greyhound/GSD mix. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
09-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by bizdevguy
how about sidewalk terriers (aka, mixed breed)?

If you know what breeds your dog is a mix of then pick that/ those groups or choose "other", that's why it's there.:)

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-09-2004, 04:36 PM
I have dogs in lot's of groups:)

Tango:Herding and hunting. (she is excellent at retrieving and herding)

Echo:working (made for herding but put in working group)

Tia:Scenthound.

Amber
09-09-2004, 04:43 PM
terriers! :D

KYS
09-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Rocky and Sheba are in the spitz/working group.

But ROcky should be in the hunting group. :rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
09-09-2004, 05:12 PM
My mum and dads dogs are both Working/guard dogs. Although in reality Max (dobie) does the guarding and Twilight (mutt) just supervises from the couch lol!

flamepony12
09-09-2004, 08:57 PM
OMG why don't you have "WHIMPY WHINY SEPERATION ANXIETY DOGS" on that list?? LOLOLOL That's Zeus! LOL i voted "Other" hey.. alien would've worked too :p

wolf_Q
09-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Nebo is a siberian husky and in the working group. Since that isn't listed I guess he's a spitz type dog?

wolfie
09-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Cocoa is a companion dog, but Daphne... I have no idea! Probably all of them. :p

binka_nugget
09-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Herding dogs. :D

I think Kai has great potential for herding. Kaedyn.. well.. he'd fit better in the sighthound group. :p

lute
09-09-2004, 10:49 PM
companion
beanie is a pom and since there wasn't a toy grup i guess that makes him a companion.:D

anna_66
09-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Roxey is from the working group and so was Angus.
Huney is from the non-sporting group.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Hunting Dogs- I have a Labrador Retriever!:)

Buddy Blaze Lover
09-10-2004, 07:34 PM
HERDING DOG! :D :D :D
I love them, especially Border Collies, Collies, German Sheperds, (sp?) and corgis. I think herding dogs are awesome (like Blaze!) and I also like Hunting/Retrieving dogs too! ;)