PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Litter

shais_mom
07-25-2001, 12:58 AM
I would like to take an unofficial poll of what kind of litter everyone uses. Jodi bought me Tidy Cat when I got Kylie, and I didn't mind that it worked pretty good.
Now I am trying the pearls and even tho it works well, I am not satisified with it b/c it tracks so much. She tracked them to my bed and let me tell ya it hurts when ya roll on those little things, they feel like stones!!
I think if I can't get any other suggestions I am goint to stick to Tidy Cat.
Thanks!!!

Fuzzy317
07-25-2001, 01:05 AM
We are using Tidy Cat now. We have never used the crystals/pearls.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Fuzzy317 ]

Kitty Peon
07-25-2001, 09:27 AM
I use Everclean - the Antibacterial Formual. It hardly tracks and there's also very little dust, which is good because Cleo really can kick up a storm in there. In the past I tried non-clumping litter but my Cleo did not like it at all and refused to use it so I had to go back to clumping - I think that if a kitty has been used to clumping litter they rarely switch to non-clumping. I have also tried Shweat(clumping) which I personally love because it's all natural made from wheat and it says right on the bag (which I'm not sure if it's true or not) that it is safely ingested. I switched back to Everclean because it was around the time that Cleo began to get sick and we thought it may have been the litter - it was not Cleo has a birth defect. Anyway, the only bad thing about Shweat is that it is very dusty and Cleo used to come out of there covered in dust - it doesn't track though.

A little more than you asked for - try a covered litter box (if you don't already have one), they offer more privacy and are healtier (they prevent dust from coming out and they have germ filters also) for both kitty and human. Walmart has some great inexpensive ones - I got mine for $20 (cdn).

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Kitty Peon ]

cr7clark
07-25-2001, 11:25 AM
I use the house brand from PetValu stores (I can't remember the name). It's a clumping litter and really absorbs odors well. I've never tried the crystals/pearls. I also swear by a LitterMaid automatic litter box cleaner. It has a cover and an enclosed disposable container for the solid waste so there's virtually no odor or dust. The LitterMaid has a carpeted ramp which leads to it's entrance and it really picks up the litter off of Bo's feet.

cr7clark
07-25-2001, 12:17 PM
Thanks Spencer, your information about the LitterMaid is absolutely correct. I have the more expensive version and I think it's worth every penny, especially the robust motor. When we want to clean the LitterMaid, we simply unplug it, disassemble and clean, reassemble (after making sure it is COMPLETELY dry) and refill with litter. When we plug the unit back in, the filter comb runs once and goes back to it's starting position. In case we have a power outage or the LitterMaid fails for some reason, we do keep a regular litter box. It's also nice if we want to clean the LitterMaid and need another place for Miss Bo to go. :cool:

AvaJoy
07-28-2001, 11:15 PM
I have never had to completely discard the litter in any of my boxes since I've been using Scoop Away clumping. I use extra big litter boxes and fill each 2/3 full (about 4 inches deep). I scoop twice a day and have no odor problems. As is usually the case with a product I love, Scoop Away has modified (once again!) their formula. I always use fragrance-free, yet the last "new/improved" batch I bought has a slight perfume fragrance to it :rolleyes: Maybe some of the scented got mixed in with the unscented at the factory? Well, if the next box I buy has the same smell I am ready to try another clumping brand like EverClean or Tidy Cat, as long as they are completely odor-free.

I have thought about getting a LitterMaid, but don't think it will hold enough litter. I am particular about my cats' litter boxes, and really don't mind scooping; that way I can keep an eye on what's doing.

Pam
07-29-2001, 07:04 AM
Avajoy...I am sort of a compulsive litterbox scooper myself. I figure if I was a cat I wouldn't want to walk in anything awful myself. :eek: You are right, a cat's litterbox can tell you a lot of things about them. I learned at Christmas that Andy had been eating my artificial tree. The evidence was right there! :D

Fuzzy317
07-29-2001, 07:29 AM
I am a fanatic about cleaning the litter box myself. I try and clean it twice a day, one before I leave for work, and once when I get home from work. I try to keep the same routine on my days off, but I don't have great timing on those days.

We tried one of those automatic litter boxes, but with 3 cats, it was running often, and the amount of litter in it we thought was too shallow.

catwoman
07-30-2001, 09:56 AM
For litter tracking problems, try putting a large raffia mat (like the ones some people use as dorrmats) underneath the litterbox, so that it sticks out on all sides. The raffia mat will "collect" the litter that gets thrown or tracked out of the box very nicely.

Logan
07-30-2001, 11:57 AM
Keep in mind that my cats don't use the litter box often (they're not bad, they just prefer to go outside)! Didn't realize how bad that sounded at first! :eek:
Anyway, I use the Tidy Cat regular litter, not the clumping kind. Some of the others had such a strong odor that Mimi hated it. I get the kind that is for multiple cat households and since I don't have to change it often, it is a very inexpensive alternative.

Logan

4 feline house
07-30-2001, 03:17 PM
The door mat sure wouldn't work in my house! They would never use the box! All four cats are afraid of the doormat on the porch. They leap over it when they're going in and out. Big, who's too fat to be a great jumper, sometimes sits in the doorway, pondering that evil doormat, trying to decide if he really wants to go out bad enough to try to make the jump. Because, after all, if he misses, he might accidently STEP on the horrible thing! :D

aly
07-30-2001, 11:54 PM
I use the crystals. Shiloh never really tracks them. I do have a little kitty mat there so maybe that is the difference? I also buy the 'non-tracking' kind with larger crystals. I just don't like the other litters because of all the dust. There is a great pine litter I used to use that I liked except for the smell when Shiloh peed on it. My vote is always for natural litters but different things work for different people!

Leah, I've never heard of anything like that. All 4 of the cats are afraid of the doormat??? Hehe. That would be a funny sight to see :)

shais_mom
08-01-2001, 01:01 AM
Thanks for all the input!! Keep em comin~!!
I will try the EverClean, and I do like Tidy Cat. Aly what kind of large pearls did you get? These are about the size of BBs. and they track horribly.

Pam
08-01-2001, 06:14 AM
I just realized I never answered the original question! :D Like BosMom I use Pet Valu's store brand. I find it works really well (not too much dust) and is inexpensive. My Andy takes the idea of burying his "contributions" very seriously. Most of it ends up on the floor! Trevor on the other hand is a neatnik! :D

cr7clark
08-01-2001, 11:15 AM
I have found that the Pet Valu brand of litter also works quite well in my LitterMaid automatic scooper. Although it looks like there isn't enough litter in the LitterMaid to allow a cat or cats the luxury of covering their poops, my cat has never had a problem with this. So I think the shallow look of the litter in a LitterMaid is deceiving, as long as you keep litter in at the prescribed level your cat(s) will be able to cover their wastes quite well.

AmberLee
08-02-2001, 05:53 PM
We've tried several, but went back to Premium Pet (PP) from the Litter Pearls. For us, the Pearls got every where and were a pain to clean! I don't like the amount of dust with PP, but the kids seem happiest with it, so ...

We started out with a hooded pan, but switched to a pair of open ones. Cassy would lurk on top of the hood and terrorize his brother from entering or leaving (depending on circumstances). Not sure if this was due to his being a high-spirited kitten and whether he's out-grown it, but would rather not give him a platform to cause trouble with. :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

wolflady
08-02-2001, 08:09 PM
I have been using the Tidy Cat Multi-Cat household litter and my kitties seem to like it. My cat Scooter is not too happy if I try and change it.
Has anyone tried the recycled newspaper litter, Yesterday's News?? It's supposed to be very low tracking.
I did have some 'World's Best Cat Litter' from a natural products tradeshow that I attended. It was made from corn and flushable. It worked really well, but Scooter absolutely would not have anything to do with it. Marius doesn't seem to care what's in his box!
The littermaid sounds like a good idea, but I've never gotten the courage to try it because my cats (is this a male cat thing??) stick their rear ends as far into the back corner of the box to pee...so I would think that with the littermaid...they'd be peeing directly into the motor or something!
I started out with regular litterboxes, but with my boys squishing their butts as far up the back corner of the litterbox, they would actually go out of the box on occasion....it was kinda funny...looked like someone aiming a squirt gun and fireing!!LOL :D
Needless to say we have the hooded boxes now! :rolleyes: :o

Molly623
08-02-2001, 10:22 PM
To tell you all the truth, I don't even have a cat! I will be picking it up friday the 10th and then I will. After reading all of your replies, I think I will go with tidy cat. I really appreciate all of your help, even if you didn't know you were helping me! :)

AmberLee
08-03-2001, 01:15 PM
We tried "Yesterday's New" at the vet's direction after the boys got fixed. It was the most tramatic part of the operation for my boys -- "Hey, somebody stole our sand and stuck pellets in our box. Now what? Yieeeee!" was the apparent response. Note: We are not big on innovation in our happy home.
:rolleyes:

We tried S'wheat and were fairly satisfied, but at that time could only get it by mail order. It's available in some shops now, but I haven't tried it again. When used, it seemed to have a faintly unpleasant smell mixed with a fresh bread smell - an unnerving combination. Silly, but I didn't want to associate new baked bread with that smell!

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: AmberLee ]

yorkster
08-03-2001, 03:07 PM
Let me just say four words: Worlds Best Cat Litter. Hands down the best I have ever tried! I have tried them all too. I have two cats, and let me tell you the smell was just awful sometimes. This cat litter has so many good points that I will just list a few: It is made from corn and there are no perfumes or additives, so it is save for the enviroment AND your cat, it is flushable (even for septic systems!), it does not track the way other litters do, and most of all there is NO SMELL anymore. It is a bit on the exspensive side, but it works out to about the same in the long run because you use less and don't have to dump the whole thing as much. The pet store where I buy it has trouble keeping it in stock because people love it so much. My cats love it too! I know there is web-page which I think is www.worldsbestcatlitter.com (http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com) ......Im not totally sure that is it, but I will check to make sure and write later if that is wrong. It's the only thing I use anymore.

yorkster
08-03-2001, 03:18 PM
Me again: I should add about worlds best cat litter that it is also dust-free, which is good for you (less dusting!) but also your cat. They have found problems with silica dust from clay & scoopable litter in cats lungs. And yes I double checked the web site, and it is www.worldsbestcatlitter.com. (http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com.) Gosh, I sound like a commercial for the stuff the way I am going-on, but it really is that great!

Catcrazed
08-04-2001, 05:23 PM
I use tidy Cats multiple household. (actually the cats use it) I am fairly satisfied with it but it is a little dusty. My grocery store only sells regular name brands and I shop there because I can't to get out early enough to hit the pet stores.
I want to try the LiterMaid thing but I'm not sure the cats woud use it and it's awfully expensive!

One piece of advice, do not use Arm and Hammer! It is sooooo dusty. And it tracks too. I know, my fiance is allergic to dust. (he's allergic to cats to for that matter)

I'm thrilled to be engaged, but the logistics of this could be a problem. Neat-freak boy who is allergic to everything meets slovenly cat loving girl. This could be interesting.

Pam
08-04-2001, 07:11 PM
Catcrazed...LOL! Very funny line! I hope the cats are the ones using it! LOL! It just struck my funny bone tonight! I am sure you have lots of concerns with your boyfriend and his allergy to cats. Reminds me of a magnet my friend just brought me home from her vacation....."Husband and cat missing. $100 reward for cat!" I hope your boyfriend can adjust but if he can't, too bad, he'll just be buying lots of Kleenex after you are married! :D

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

shais_mom
08-06-2001, 11:49 PM
I just bought Arm and Hammer with crystals. It is clumping, I haven't tried it yet b/c I had a small bag of Tidy Cat with Crystals, to try. I will try it next week when I change the litter. I haven't seen the World's best anywhere, but I will check it out the next time I am at the pet store.

Edwina's Secretary
08-07-2001, 08:49 AM
Catcrazed....I was (well still am) the one with allergies and my then fiance, now husband, was the one who wanted a cat. I have one word to say...Claritin. It has made me sooooo much more comfortable. Additionally, Edwina seems to understand my allergies. Although she is suppose to be my husband's cat, it is me she likes to cuddle up next to at night but she never gets around my face - just everywhere else!

But the Claritin alllows me to enjoy Edwina as well as other situations that were a problem for me before as well.

Ginny
08-07-2001, 12:56 PM
I use scoop away and I like it real well. Second if I cannot find that is Tidy cat. There the two top ones I like real well. They both keep the odor down to. You just add to the litter box when cleaning never dumping all of it out that is great!!

wolflady
08-07-2001, 05:23 PM
catcrazed, LOL...I agree with Pam, that was a very funny line! :D You'll definitely have to keep us posted on the antics that go on in your house with the allergy fiancee/husband! LOL :D It's cool to see couples working through things such as allergies to keep their pets. *hugs* to you all :D

cr7clark
08-08-2001, 06:22 AM
Yesterday I received an E-mail from Bo's previous owner (a Manx breeder) referring me and other interested persons to a neat Web site from a company that offers a new kind of litter box.....www.clevercatbox.com is the site and they offer a box that has it's entrance on the top. There are plenty of nice pics on the site and complete instructions for obtaining and using the box. They also have a spot on their site devoted to cat health and nutrition tips which I thought was real nice.
I still like my LitterMaid box, but the CleverCat box just might be the answer to people with multiple cats in the house or a dog that likes kitty tootsie rolls too much. ;)

wolflady
08-08-2001, 11:37 AM
Bosmom, LOL kitty tootsie rolls! :D :D

Neat website, thanks for posting that. I may have to get one of those for our cats! :)

catwoman
08-08-2001, 03:57 PM
Hey Catcrazed,

Congratulations on your engagement!

Catwoman

NoahsMommy
08-16-2001, 02:03 PM
We use "Fresh Step" clumping litter. It realy clups well and everytime Noah tries to cover his "contribution" it smells clean, not too strong. :D ;) :D

anoushka
08-17-2001, 12:26 AM
I'll keep my eyes open for World's Best Cat Litter. How expensive is it?

My little boy, Norman, is a very tidy little boy. He and his sister, Isabelle, share a hooded box and prefer Tidy Cat (multiple cat formula - non-clumping), but despite a sisal mat, those little pebbles find their way all over the house. I don't scoop, but clean their box every other day. Norman insists upon it.

I do know I give a hearty thumbs-down to Johnny Cat. The kids hate it and it is filled with dust.

yorkster
08-19-2001, 04:56 PM
If you go to the website for Worlds Best at worldsbestcatlitter.com , I believe it gives the prices. It will also tell you what petstores in your area sell it. For some reason Petsmart in my area does not sell it......I don't know why. I don't know the price because my husband bought it. It does last quite awhile though because you dont have to dump as often.

shais_mom
08-22-2001, 12:22 AM
Does Anyone know of a website that I can order World's best cat litter from? The only 2 I could find off their website were from Mass and Florida. There is a store about a half an hour away, I may try to go there to get it. The one site i was on www.waggintails.com (http://www.waggintails.com) had 7lbs for $7.53.

Freckles
12-03-2001, 08:37 AM
At yorkster's recomendation, I've been using World's Best Cat Litter for the past three months. Freckles (the cat) accepts it and I love it. I flush the feces and the clinging litter immediately drops away, so I know I could flush the urine clumps. too. They suggest changing completly every month, which I do. I (carefully)sniff tested month old litter and it smelled the same as when it came straight from the bag.
I noticed recent posts about stinky cats so thought this info might be helpful.

yorkster
12-03-2001, 05:46 PM
Freckles- Yes, I just love that stuff! I have a couple times tried some other type they come out with, but always go back to it.
My cats like it too!
The only thing about it (and all cat litters) is the stuff that falls out of the box when the cats dig around in front. I found that a plastic, shaggy like door mat heps with that alot. They were selling something like it at Petsmart for quite a lot, so I went to Home Depot and bought just a regular door-mat for like $5.00.

catwoman
12-03-2001, 05:50 PM
Raffia doormats work really well, too. :D

scottso55
12-03-2001, 11:34 PM
I use Tidy Cat - Multiple Cat Formula -

I have 3 male cats ( Ben , Spider, & Trouble (