PDA

View Full Version : my cat sprays all the time

rachel2000
09-29-2000, 11:43 AM
My cat, a 7 year-old male cat seems to have a problem with his urination. I'm not sure if it's physical or mental. He sprays when he gets frustrated for example; he will keep spraying around the room if I do not let him out when he wants to or when my boyfriend or my friends whom he doesn't like are visiting me. Sometimes he sprays so continuously that he cannot control it and the urine keeps dripping like small drops all over the floor. Once he 's satisfied he'll stop doing it. I'm concerned about his health if this behavior could be harmful to his kidney or bladder although he is a healthy cat overall. He's a snow-shoed Burmese cat weighs 10 lbs. I had consulted with the vet and he suggested the cat get neutered. Are there any alternatives? Can I train him?

trisnic
09-30-2000, 02:48 AM
I think that it would be best to have him neutered as that may help, unfortunately it may not since he's already in the habit of spraying. Male cats spray to attract mates and they generally cannot be trained out of doing something that is so much in their nature to do. Why would you not want to get him neutered?

rachel2000
09-30-2000, 09:42 AM
Thank you for your reply. Yes, to have him neutered may be the best way for me to stop him from spraying but as you mentioned chances are he may not quit his spraying habit that I don't know. He has just started spraying inside a house for less than a year although he is now 7 years old. He was a feral cat who came to my house 3 years ago and I adopted him since then. He stays pretty much in a secured garden when I am not home. He only stays in when I am in and goes to bed with me almost every night. He was once away for 12 days which I thought I probably lost him but he only went out for girls! Well, to have him neutered might helps that too. The reason why I am reluctant to do so is I still want him to enjoy his full male cat's life and also I heard that once neutered male cats tend to lose ability to protect themselves from other male cats when they attack. Besides, will a cat get fat or bloated and be less active? My cat is pretty round about 10 lbs.

EileenKay
10-01-2000, 01:17 AM
Rachel, you have some very mistaken notions about cats. I can tell you love your kitty and want to do the right thing and take the best care of him that you know how. Another right thing is to learn ACCURATE information about cats, right now you are repeating rumors and old folks tales and things you heard who-knows-where. It's past time to get some good cat books and learns some facts about cats. Although I recommend the book 'Think Like a Cat' I wish I also knew of a book that was more concentrated on detailed basics about housecats, ferals, and strays to recommend to you also. You might like 'The Tribe of Tiger' if you can find it - maybe at a library.

He needs to be neutered. You may be able to stop or slow down his spraying in the house after he is neutered by alot of cleaning and use of the spray Feliway (for 4-6 months at least).

Even if neutering doesn't stop the spraying it will LOWER his risk of prostate enlargement and cancers, and anal and rectal tumors, as well as make him more social.

And even if neutering doesn't stop the spraying it will, as you noted, stop the obsessive drive to mate and roam. For you the consequences of this drive could be to not have a cat anymore, as you feared in his 12 day spree. But elsewhere it results in pregnant cats and kittens who may have no home and no nice person to sleep with - they may have ended up euthanized at an overcrowded shelter or just killed by a raccoon or dog or owl - there are other consequences besides those in your home.

Also, in response to the other post, male cats don't just spray to attract mates. They can spray due to urethral irritation, bladder problem, behavioral/ stress reasons, and mostly to mark their territory. Another good reason to control spraying is so the owner can tell if there IS a urinary problem instead of having it hidden under all that spray!!