PDA

View Full Version : Tortoiseshell hair loss

berta
07-24-2001, 06:07 PM
My six year-old tortoiseshell has started licking so much that her hair is falling out from her belly and back legs. Our vet said this is a problem common in tortoiseshells. She has had cortisone shots which helped for a while but the hair doesn't seem to grow back. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any advice to offer?

wolflady
07-24-2001, 08:29 PM
Hi Berta, has anything changed in your cat's environment? A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her russian blue when she moved. She just licked all the fur off her belly and hind legs. It was the wierdest thing! Her vet said it was due to stress. So, if anything has changed in your cat's environment, she could be stressed and display the stress by licking her fur out. It doesn't have to be something major like moving, but just the smallest thing could cause them to become stressed...like food change, litter change, relocation of litter box, new family member etc.
Another thing it could be is allergies. Is this what the cortisone shot was for? If so, do you know what she might be allergic to? Does she go outside?
I certainly hope your kitty is alright! :) Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :o Be sure to let us know what happens with your baby! *hugs*
Karen

Gio
07-25-2001, 04:16 AM
My friend's tortoiseshell has the same problem. The vet told her that it could be eiter stress or boredom.

She has stopped now, I will try to get in touch with my friend and ask for some advice.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Gio ]

4 feline house
07-25-2001, 01:13 PM
I had a shorthair, Toot, who overgroomed. At some points he would even pull the hair out of his front legs! But he was a nervous cat, partly because my boyfriend abused him as a kitten - it had been going on several weeks before I knew about it. He groomed so much, in fact, that a couple of times he got a tapeworm, but never once had a flea! He would apparently swallow them the minute they jumped on him! I could tell when something was stressing him out because the fur on his front legs would disappear. Oftentimes it is due to something that can be alleviated, but some cats are just prone to it.

becs19
06-14-2011, 12:26 AM
I have a tortiseshell who is doing the same thing...at first i thought it was because my mother had changed her food, but that wasnt it. i noticed that she didnt itch or chew as much during the cold weather. but now that the warmer weather has come she is itching and chewing more than usual. but as i've read it could be because i left for college and maybe its from anxiety/depression.She has always been a very nervous and skitsy cat though. my father says that it is psychological. but i will find out for sure tomorrow when i bring her tothe vets....also she doesnt have any swelling or bites, etc.

idk i just hope its nothing too bad

jennielynn1970
06-14-2011, 03:28 AM
I have a tabby who does the same thing. It's all anxiety/depression oriented. I wish there was more I could do... I give her more loving than ever, but she still over grooms herself to the point of baldness on her legs and belly. It's sad.

Medusa
06-14-2011, 08:32 AM
It may be allergies. My Creamsicle, a short hair orangie, lost so much of her hair that her tail looked like a rat's tail and her back had hardly any hair on it at all. She's now on steroids to alleviate the itching and that's important b/c my vet said that it was like having a bad case of poison ivy. Her hair came out in paint brush clumps. Unfortunately, she's gained a lot of weight on the steroids so she's on diet food now but the poor girl can't itch and lose her hair and groom all day so I had no choice but to put her on steroids. I sure hope you get to the bottom of this so that your kitty can get some relief. Please keep us posted. :)