PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions.....*pics too*

DogLover9501
09-08-2004, 07:00 PM
I want to know how you all feel about this situation....

My grandpa(who loves with us--so does my grandma), was at his son Tony's house(well my uncle), and seen his new kitten. For the rest of his time there(which was HOURS) he was talking about how much he loves cats, and would LOVE to have one...

My mom said she would get them one, BUT, a while ago(2 years maybe) they had a cat who got pregnant before they could get her spayed, they got good homes for all the kittens, and then they had to wait 6 weeks before they could get her done, and she was WILD(and I mean wild, climbed up my grandma's nightdresses :eek: ), so they had no chance of keeping her inside, they tried and tried and tried.

They were scared she would get pregnant again, so they gave her to my cousin cathy(their granddaughter), who were a bit better at keeping her in the house.

So my mom thinks that they would feel bad about getting another cat after having to get rid of that one, but it was for her own good.

This time I want to get them a male(for sure), and I even have one picked out!! He sounds PURRRRFECT!!!! He is at our local shelter!

Here he is, meet Gus!(I had to re-size this)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/dogluver9501/Gus.jpg

"Meow! I am a little male kitten who is approx. ten weeks old. I am a smart-looking Tuexedo puddy cat, with an intelligent and affectionate nature (When I am not playing or eating I want to be near someone). I showed up on a kind lady's doorstep recently, and noone has claimed me. Well, that's thier loss 'cause I'm one little black and white bundle of sweetness.who is going to be a great deal of comfort for one lucky person or family. If you could use some purr in your life, call Heavenly Creatures and say that you'd like to meet Gus."

My mom is also worried about spraying, she says we're lucky that Tigger didn't spray, any info on that?

Thanks.

ALL suggestions/opinions/advice is VERY welcome.

catnapper
09-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Definately! He's a handsome Tuxie!

I have two boys and no problems with spraying. I've always only had male cats and never once did any of them spray. The key to me is keeping on top of the litter box - hubby's always had male cats who sprayed, but after questioning him on the problem, I found out the source was either un-neutered male cats or litter boxes that were disgusting.

DogLover9501
09-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Definately! He's a handsome Tuxie!

I have two boys and no problems with spraying. I've always only had male cats and never once did any of them spray. The key to me is keeping on top of the litter box - hubby's always had male cats who sprayed, but after questioning him on the problem, I found out the source was either un-neutered male cats or litter boxes that were disgusting.

I'd be doing their litter box cleaning, so thats not a problem ;)

DogLover9501
09-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Bump :( anymore?

sirrahbed
09-08-2004, 09:22 PM
As far as I know - spraying is usually associated with either a medical problem like urinary tract infection which is treatable with antibiotic or behavioral/territorial due to too many cats or cats that are not neutered. Having one male kitten - having him neutered..I would say the chances of having him spray would be extremely slim.
Gus looks and sounds like a real sweety and if your Grandpa really wants a kitty - this fella might be the purrfect companion for him!:D

DogLover9501
09-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks Debbie!!

My mom is REALLY considering this, she even started saying things like (he **WILL** be treated really good) no IF's or "WOULD"'s, they are all "WILL"s and "WHEN"s :D :D

Shes going to give me a definate answer either tomorrow or Friday!

This sounds like this kitty is for me :o, but trust me its not LOL, I just know how happy he would make my grandfather, and I can already see the smile on his face!!!! :)

jazzcat
09-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Will you guys definitely get Gus neutered? I think that is the key to everything here although neutered cats can still spray. Ripley has only sprayed in the house a couple of times and that was due to stress of a new cat in the house, new carpet and paint and when we opened the windows to air out the paint he could smell where a neighbor's cat had sprayed outside. I couldn't really blame him - I was so stressed to I could have sprayed, LOL!

DogLover9501
09-08-2004, 11:16 PM

YES we are definatly getting him neutered! We were hoping to find a vet who will do this early(I heard some vets neuter as young as 8 weeks?)

I am so excited about this, mostly for my grandpa, I just hope things work out :(

Also does this mean Tigger could spray because of the new kitty?? :eek:

jazzcat
09-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501

Also does this mean Tigger could spray because of the new kitty?? :eek:
Possibly but not probably. Just do everything you can to keep Tigger calm, happy and stress free and he will most likey be fine.

manda_moo87
09-08-2004, 11:49 PM
OH! :D Gus is DARLING!!!

Laura's Babies
09-09-2004, 08:14 AM
I would suggest they get a older, more settled cat since a kitten will play a lot and may be a little to rough for older people. They WILL get scratched since kittens just want to play and they do use their claws a lot in playing.

At the shelter I help out yet, we get older cats that have already been fixed and even some are declawed. This beauty here has been spayed, declawed and up to date on all her shots. She is only one, we have more just like her. There is another Hillary that is equal to this one (Cairo), so all the work has been done before they get the baby! Check at your local shelter and see if they have any adult cats like these.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p9bb7648f8e01be551daf48838dd1aade/f7453bc9.jpg

catmandu
09-09-2004, 08:53 AM
The Found Cats,and Pet Angels,think that he is The Right Cat,at the Right Time,and will be a Beloved Companion Cat!

DogLover9501
09-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
I would suggest they get a older, more settled cat since a kitten will play a lot and may be a little to rough for older people. They WILL get scratched since kittens just want to play and they do use their claws a lot in playing.

At the shelter I help out yet, we get older cats that have already been fixed and even some are declawed. This beauty here has been spayed, declawed and up to date on all her shots. She is only one, we have more just like her. There is another Hillary that is equal to this one (Cairo), so all the work has been done before they get the baby! Check at your local shelter and see if they have any adult cats like these.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p9bb7648f8e01be551daf48838dd1aade/f7453bc9.jpg

Thanks Laura, I just have a couple questions...

My grandpa would love a cat who lays on him/with him, and goes to bed with him...etc. I figured a kitten could be taught to get into the routine of going to bed when he does and things like that, but could an older cat?

Also about what age are they a bit calmer and laid back? I also think(judging from experience and cats I've met) that males are alot more laid back than females, usually?

Thanks! My mom is still "thinking about it" she says she's going to "hint" around to my nan, just things about cats, or tell her what my grandgather had said(that he'd love to have one) and see how she reacts/what she says.

Thanks again everyone!

sirrahbed
09-09-2004, 11:53 AM
hmmm...Robyn, (right name yes??) how about doing a petfinders search in your zipcode and reading about some of the available cats. I know in our area - most have a pretty good description of the cat's personality - especially those who are kept in foster homes. In my opinion - one from a foster home would be ideal because there is less change of upper respiratory infection and the foster mom can also answer any of your questions about the kitty. Another plus about a slightly older cat is that they are probably already fixed and have their shots and so less expense. You may even find one that is declawed if that is important to your nan and grandpa. Cats are still kittens until they are a year old and many still are kittenish and playful far beyond that but yes, they will be more settled. I bet you can find one that is a lap-baby for your grandpa - just keep looking!! That will be such fun and comfort for him! I know he will will love the companionship:D

DogLover9501
09-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks Debbie, and yes it's the right name :p

I don't think this will be happening :( :( It was really hard on me too, because I had my heart set on getting my grandpa a kitty.

All my mom said was *IF* it ever got out by accident(someone comming in/out) that they'd be worry about it and they don't need anymore worry.

:confused: That is a really bad reason to not get a cat, just because it could get out by accident?? ANY cat can get out by accident, all we'd have to do was go bring it in!

I really think my pop would love a cat :(, maybe not so much my nan but she would love it in a few days.

Ack, I just wish my mom would compare the good/bad things, she always looks on the bad side of everything :( They are her parents and she should understand how much boredom it would take out of their lives, they can't go anywhere on their own, unless we take them, so a cat would be so nice :(