PDA

View Full Version : Ever Get Jealous of Your Dog Loving Others?

ParNone
09-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Do you ever feel a pang of jealousy, when your dog shows lavish attention to other folks? It’s probably pretty normal I guess. Wanting them to love us best. I find though that I get such a kick out of mine being really friendly to other people.

My mom stayed with me for a few days this last week. She is not a dog person, but loves Oz. He was hanging out with her in the guest bedroom watching TV and I told her he could sleep in her room that night with her, if she wanted, which she did. I had a momentary thought that I should feel some jealousy that he wanted to stay with her, but I didn’t. I love seeing them get along so well and I have no doubts about how much he loves me. Well, he lasted about an hour, than he was doing his Lassie routine. Walk to the door… back to mom... bark… repeat... Wouldn’t stop until she got the message to let him out to come back to my room.

Then for Labor Day we had a bunch of people over for enchiladas. Murph was being his normal gregarious self and was following my Uncle all over. He musta walked 2 miles trotting in step with him. Then at meal time, he sat himself down right in front of my Grandmother and just willed her to drop a piece of enchilada for him. Never ventured to anybody else. Somehow deemed her the softest touch of the bunch, which as it turned out she didn’t give him anything and he knows I’ll give him something. Must like a challenge I guess.

He also got in some time playing with the kiddies and meeting and greeting everybody else too. I really didn’t see much of him most of the day, he was so busy with everybody else. As the end of the day approached and exhaustion overtook him though, I looked down from where I was sitting and there he was crashed right beside me. People were moving about and he never raised his head. I eventually got up to get something and looked back to find him following right behind me. I guess that’s why I never worry much about him or Oz or Gull sharing their love with other people, because I know at the end of the day, they always come back to me.

Par…

Samantha Puppy
09-08-2004, 05:21 PM
I get a little jealous the way Samantha moons over my husband all. the. time. When he gets up in the morning. When he comes home. When he so much as glances at her. Etc. Don't get me wrong, she gets excited when I come home too but she MOONS over him - it's hard to explain.

It's funny though, on weekends when she decides when it's time to get up, she jumps on the bed and strolls up to him and licks him - his face, his neck, his chest, his arms - and won't stop until he tells her to. It's sickening.

chocolatepuppy
09-08-2004, 05:33 PM
I don't have a jealously problem with my pups loving my husband or company. If I had an overnight guest and Lacey slept with them, well ok. But if Mandy left my side at night I would be jealous and probably couldn't sleep! I guess it's my overprotectiveness because of her bad heart. She always sleeps with me even if hubby falls asleep on the couch and Lacey goes back and forth between us, Mandy is always with me! :) Great subject, btw.

CamCamPup33
09-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh gosh yes.

Cami ADORES my mother. Cami wouldn't know what to do with herself if god forbid anything ever happened to my mom. I wish cami was like that with me, but i know my mom loves it, and i think shes stress free with cami there right by her side 24/7. I always tell my mom "We should get another dog, this way i'll have a dog to love me back!" She always just laughs and tells me that cami loves all of us. She knows, i know better. :p

LorraineO
09-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Never really thought about til you asked,,,, hmm,,, well the odd time Lucy sits with hubby on the couch all curled up with him,, yeah,,,, I got quite jelous,,,, but thats because she doesnt do that with me,, and I am the one who spoils her the most and is with her 24/7...... go figure eh?? Maybe I am a novelty that is wearing off,,,:D :D :D :D

aly
09-08-2004, 06:28 PM
I feel happy and proud when my dogs love on other people. I know they love me and we have the special bond between us that can never be broken. It is especially nice when I see Lolly being affectionate with other people because when I got her, she was so untrusting of every human except me due to her previous abuse.

Here's Reecie giving Kari (guster girl) some love!

http://rescuedpaws.com/ipw-web/gallery/albums/cedarhill/reecekari.jpg

Kfamr
09-08-2004, 06:35 PM
It makes me happy and proud when my dogs love other people.
All three are a bit skiddish around new people so when they accept them and take to them it's something special :)

I know all three are my babies and if it came down to it they would pass a plate of steaks up for me.:p

Amber
09-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Sometimes, but I love seeing them having fun, and meeting new people. But when they ignore me for the new people, yes! lol

senorita02
09-08-2004, 08:04 PM
I admit i get a little jealous when my boyfriend and my dogs snuggle up, i feel like they should love me best cause im their mother,haha i know they love us both equally. Here is a pic of my babies snuggling alone ...

lovemyshiba
09-08-2004, 09:53 PM
As much as I love to see them love on other people, it does make me a little jealous--I suppose that's more my problem than theirs though:p

A couple of months ago, our neice came to stay for the night. She absolutely ADORES my dogs--usually when she comes to stay, she brings her sleeping bag and sleeps on the floor of our bedroom, so she can sleep with all 4 of them--and they love it!! Well, this time, she forgot her sleeping bag, so she stayed in the bedroom across the hall, and asked if they could sleep with her. I told her she could try, but that they'd never stay there all night.
The joke was on me though--Abbey and Kito slept all night with her, and didn't leave her bed until they heard breakfast being served the next morning.:)

CountryWolf07
09-09-2004, 12:13 AM
I'll admit.. yes, a little bit.. but it doesn't bother me that much..

Anna LOVES other people.. she just goes to them for affection.. a lot of affection.. it's cute.. but I watch.. cause ya know.. you never know if they get tired of her pestering them for attention.. if she does.. if I get the feeling she is.. I'll just call her over and tell her ot lay down or go somewhere else.. Rosie is the same way..

but hey.. if my girls like other people that comes over.. then I know they're good people..

manda99
09-09-2004, 05:59 AM
The only thing I get jealous over is it seems like when my boyfriend and I are both gone... when we come home , the boyf gets kisses cuz he's loved and I get kissed cuz I'm loved-----but more importantly Smokey wants to see what I've been eating...

Pam
09-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Bella is definitely a people dog. When we have visitors she can't wait to see them (and smell them :o ) and if they return her affections she will stay with them for their whole visit. :rolleyes: Ripley on the other hand will greet them with his little wagging tail but comes almost immediately back to me. I think he has some kind of invisible umbilical cord to me! LOL! If someone picks him up he is fine, but he is always looking to see where I am. :)

Aly that picture of Reece is sooooo cute! :)

manda99
09-09-2004, 06:47 AM
how did i miss that picture? so cute those sleepin' dogs...

pitc9
09-09-2004, 07:53 AM
I never get a chance to be!! If they let people pet them or love on them... I get so happy I tear up!!!
Both are big babies and hide behind me when people come over. After a little bit, Sierra will sneek behind the people and sniff them without them knowing... then she'll run back to me.
Buddy... never leaves my side!
When the hubby and I are at home, both dogs have to be on/near me!

Jamieejo85
09-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Although I love it when both of my dogs (and cats) are friendly to other people, I can't help but feel jealous for just a minute. I know they are mine, but when they pay more attention to someone else rathar than me I feel a little jealousy, but I get over it. It makes me happy too though! I love it when people admire them and play with them!

cali
09-09-2004, 01:22 PM
lol not at all, my dogs are my babies, and they know it, I did not pick them out of their litters they picked me, which is why I have a really really close bond with them. if I lay on the couch their is misty leaning on me lol she ONLY cuddles with other people if I am with her, as soon as I get up she is with me, when I am on the computer, misty is curled uo sleeping on the chair beside me, she sleeps up against me, yes I will make her move if she is in my spot lol but why not, I I moved to the floor misty would just come on the floor with me lol Happy does not show much in the way of affection toward anyone but me, she will PLAY with anyone, but she will only cuddle with me. she is asleep at my feet right now, if I open my arms she tries to jump into them(I am not teaching her this, she has apperntly decided she wants to though lol) she gives me hugs, and will cuddle with me, at night she starts out on the floor, but I will often wake up in the middle of the night with Happy curled up around my head, she is my baby :p my mom knows that too, if I sleep over at a friends house, the dogs that normally sleep in my room go with my mom, exept Happy who sleeps dowstairs by herself, because she does not want to sleep with someone else. ok now happer is on my lap lol

dappledoxie
09-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Sometimes I do, sometimes not. lol When they want to play with mom I do because she hardly speaks to them...more of it makes me kinda mad. lol I don't know why, not at them, at her, for being so non-loving of them. :(

ramanth
09-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Kia ADORES my dad. I think honestly she likes guys better.

She was excited when I went to pick her up yesterday (after being away for seven days), but the level of excitement pales in comparison for the display she gives my dad the second he opens the door.

At first it bothered me, but now, I'm happy that she's happy.