PDA

View Full Version : Not again! :( Hurricane Ivan

lizzielou742
09-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Be sure to check the parts I bolded in particular. :(

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040908/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/hurricane_ivan_17

2 hours, 21 minutes ago

By LOREN BROWN, Associated Press Writer

ST. GEORGE'S, Grenada - Hurricane Ivan made a direct hit on Grenada with ferocious winds, causing "incalculable damage" and killing at least nine people as it turned concrete homes into rubble and hurled hundreds of the island's landmark red zinc roofs through the air, officials said Wednesday.

The most powerful storm to hit the Caribbean in 14 years reportedly devastated Grenada's capital, St. George's, and damaged homes in Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Vincent. Thousands were without water, electricity and telephone service just days after Hurricane Frances rampaged through.

"We are terribly devastated here in Grenada," Prime Minister Keith Mitchell said in comments broadcast Wednesday by radio stations in Barbados. "It's beyond any imagination."

The prime minister, whose own home was destroyed, spoke from aboard the British naval patrol vessel HMS Richmond, apparently by satellite telephone.

Ivan strengthened even as it was over Grenada on Tuesday, becoming a Category 4 storm. It got even stronger as it headed across the Caribbean Sea, passing north of the Dutch Caribbean islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.

Mitchell said at least nine storm-related deaths had been reported and he feared the toll would rise.

"If you see the country today, it would be a surprise to anyone that we did not have more deaths than it appears at the moment," he said. "I don't think anyone expected the kind of damage that they saw."

Sporadic looting also was reported in St. George's, a British Royal Navy spokesman said on condition of anonymity, speaking from London. HMS Richmond and a British supply ship were providing disaster relief to the former colony, he said.

The storm was threatening to cross right over Jamaica by Friday morning or Saturday, and then Cuba, the U.S. National Hurricane Center (news - web sites) in Miami said.

"After Jamaica, it's probably going to hit somewhere in the U.S., unfortunately," said meteorologist Jennifer Pralgo of the Hurricane Center. "We're hoping it's not Florida again, but it's taking a fairly similar track to Charley at the moment."

Hurricane Charley killed 27 people in southwest Florida last month and caused an estimated $6.8 billion in insured damage.

Ivan terrorized Grenada for about two hours, said Hugh Cobb of the Hurricane Center.

"They took a really bad beating," he said, adding this grim warning: "Whoever gets this, it's going to be bad."

Ivan's sustained winds were clocked at 120 mph as it raced through the Windward Islands. But it strengthened to 140 mph with gusts just over 160 mph.

Cobb said Ivan would be the first Category 4 storm to hit Caribbean islands since Hurricane Luis in 1990.

He said that if Ivan hit Jamaica, it could be more destructive than Hurricane Gilbert, which was only a Category 3 storm when it devastated the island in 1988.

Howling winds raged through the hilly streets of St. George's, Grenada's capital, trashing concrete homes, uprooting trees and utility poles, and knocking out telephone service and electricity. The islands were cut off and transmission was halted from the Grenada Broadcast Network.

ChevronTexaco said it evacuated nonessential staff from a natural gas well off Venezuela's Atlantic coast.

The Caribbean Disaster Emergency Response Agency based in Barbados said St. George's "suffered incalculable damage" and Grenada's emergency disaster office, at the 19th century Great House at Mount Wheldale, was destroyed. Grenada's airport also was damaged and an air charter company in Barbados said it was refused permission to fly in.

The Barbados agency said it was sending a relief team to Grenada.

St. George's main hospital also was damaged, the agency said, as were some shelters. "The population in public shelters is 1,000 and climbing," the agency said.

No news could be had from other islands in Grenada, which has about 100,000 residents and is best known for a 1983 U.S. invasion after American officials determined the airport was going to become a joint Cuban-Soviet base. Cuba insisted it was helping build the airport for civilian use only. Nineteen Americans died in the fighting.

Two private boats near Grenada have sent out distress signals, according to the U.S. Coast Guard (news - web sites) in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It had no details.

There were unconfirmed reports that storm damage allowed prisoners to escape Grenada's crumbling and overcrowded 17th century prison, a zinc-roofed stone edifice on a hilltop. The prison has held former Deputy Prime Minister Bernard Coard and 16 others convicted of killings in the 1983 coup.

Cobb said Ivan's heaviest rains likely will sweep the southern peninsula of Haiti, where deforestation and shacks make any excessive downpours deadly. Heavy rains in May triggered floods that killed 1,700 people and left 1,600 missing and presumed dead in Haiti and neighboring Dominican Republic.

Haiti posted a hurricane watch for its southwest peninsula Wednesday.

At 2 p.m. EDT, Ivan was centered about 105 miles northeast of Bonaire and was moving toward the west-northwest at nearly 16 mph. Hurricane-force winds extended up to 70 miles and tropical storm-force winds another 160 miles. The storm raised battering waves that the Hurricane Center warned could cause storm flooding of 3-5 feet and above normal tides with 5-7 inches of rain that could cause flash floods and mudslides.

Earlier Tuesday, Ivan damaged 221 homes in Barbados and left many residents without water and electricity, the Caribbean disaster agency said. It had reports of one death in Barbados, but could not confirm it was hurricane-related. Power was being restored Wednesday.

In neighboring St. Vincent and the Grenadines, more than 1,000 people were in shelters, 19 homes were destroyed by storm surges in coastal areas, and another 40 homes were damaged, the agency reported. It said the country remained without electricity Wednesday.

A half-dozen houses in St. Lucia and two schools in Tobago lost their roofs.

Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao were under a hurricane warning, a hurricane watch and a tropical storm warning remained posted for Colombia's Guajira peninsula and Venezuela's northern coast, and a tropical storm watch covered the southwest coast of the Dominican Republic.

Ivan became the fourth major hurricane of the season Sunday, coming hard on the heels of Hurricane Frances, which killed two people in the Bahamas and 14 in Florida and Georgia.

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/strm9_strike_720x486.jpg

I don't know if I could ever live in Florida!! How do you all do it?

Kfamr
09-08-2004, 04:54 PM
This is not a normal Hurricane season. Not at all. It's never been this bad.

My parents still don't see a reason to move though.:rolleyes:

We need to move to Ohio!!

dukedogsmom
09-08-2004, 04:56 PM
I agree, Kay! This so totally sucks! I can't take this stress. There are still about 20,000 people without power just in our county.

lizzielou742
09-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Hey Kay, you'd still have problems in Ohio. SNOW, ice, tornadoes, cicadas, floods, etc. ;) :D And no beaches. No water really. Just Lake Erie - and stay far far away from there!!! hee hee :D just kiddin'. Ohio's OK I guess. :)

Seriously though, I'd be sick of it too. They're just going to get the power back on and stuff repaired and then here comes Ivan. Let's hope it stalls out, or turns back out to sea, or something. Wonder why they all come right up the Gulf like that? They should call it Hurricane Alley.

PS Hey Dukedogsmom, I like your blinkie! :)

Kfamr
09-08-2004, 06:18 PM
I'd love the snow!

We have tornados during hurricanes, more bugs than I can count, and half of the state is flooded right now. :p

While I was in Ohio I visited two gorgeous lakes within minutes of eachother.. and I didn't have to worry about alligators snatching me or my dog up!:p

DogLover9501
09-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
While I was in Ohio I visited two gorgeous lakes within minutes of eachother.. and I didn't have to worry about alligators snatching me or my dog up!:p

:eek: Alligators??

Kfamr
09-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
:eek: Alligators??

Lol, yeah, you didn't know Florida has alligators?
I've actually accidently caught a baby one while fishing.

Amber
09-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Kayann you need to come live in Ohio! It's a great place to live! :D

but about the hurricane, its a shame theres been 3 in a row. I feel bad for the floridians with all the damage they are having.
Right now in ohio it's been windy and rainy, must be the scraps from Francis.

dukedogsmom
09-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Kay made the blinkie. I would love it in Ohio! I would really miss the dog beach, though. That's about all I would miss from down here.

Kfamr
09-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah, and see Val.. if I move YOU have to move lol.
I wouldn't want to leave you and Duke behind!

I want a large house like my aunt's with a nice man-made pond and my own beach on the pond.:p

lizzielou742
09-09-2004, 08:43 AM
http://www.local6.com/weather/3715419/detail.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131859,00.html

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huirloop.html

And I'll paste this one in too because it's so short:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT+shtml/091040.shtml?

WTNT61 KNHC 091040
TCUAT
BULLETIN
HURRICANE IVAN UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
635 AM AST THU SEP 9 2004

AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING IVAN
THIS MORNING RECENTLY REPORTED...AT 614 AM AST OR 1014Z...A
FLIGHT-LEVEL WIND OF 154 KT IN THE NORTHEAST QUADRANT. THEY ALSO
REPORTED A LOWER CENTRAL PRESSURE OF 920 MB...SUGGESTING THAT IVAN
MAY CONTAIN SURFACE WINDS A LITTLE STRONGER THAN THE 160 MPH
INDICATED IN THE 5 AM AST ADVISORY. DROPSONDE WIND REPORTS ALSO
INDICATED WINDS OF NEAR 210 MPH AT AN ALTITUDE OF ABOUT 350 FEET
ABOVE THE OCEAN SURFACE.

FORECASTER STEWART

$$

210 Miles per hour!!!!!!!!!!
:eek: :eek: Jamaica's about to get it bad.

popcornbird
09-09-2004, 10:39 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5927015/

Some Florida evacuations ordered again. :(

Gosh, three hurricanes in a row. That is terrible. Poor Floridans. :( They still need our prayers. I'm not sure if I would be able to handle all these storms, though I know this many in one season isn't usually the norm.

Samantha Puppy
09-09-2004, 10:43 AM
And there's still a good 2 months 'til the end of the season. :o

lizzielou742
09-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Hey Samantha Puppy, in that article you posted, near the middle, it said this:

Ivan damaged 90 percent of homes in Grenada and destroyed a 17th century stone prison that left criminals on the loose as looting erupted.

Some escaped convicts included politicians jailed for killings in a 1983 left-wing palace coup that led the United States to invade.

American medical students fearful of marauders armed themselves with knives and sticks.

Holy Crap!!!!!! :eek: Apparently there's looting going on all over the place down there. :eek:

Samantha Puppy
09-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
Hey Samantha Puppy, in that article you posted, near the middle, it said this:

I posted an article?

lizzielou742
09-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Oops oops oops I meant Popcornbird, my bad ;)

Sorry! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
09-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Ivan is a cat 5 now. They are ordering people on the Florida Keys to get ready to evacuate tomorrow. I'm hoping when it goes over Cuba, it weakens.

Prayers on the way for all in it's path.:(

Samantha Puppy
09-09-2004, 01:12 PM
D'oh!!!

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/news/nation/9603303.htm

BitsyNaceyDog
09-09-2004, 01:49 PM
I honestly would love to move out of this state too. I would head to Maryland, where a lot of Justin's family live.

I can't handle the stress of these storms. I am scared that it will take my house and most of all I am worried about the safety of all my babies. I can't even begin to tell you how stressful it is to have to move all of our 36 animals out of our mobile home to a "safe place". It's not at all easy.

One of the hardest things is people don't have enough time to get repairs done before the next one hits. And there are no supplies anywhere. Food is scanty, it took us a couple days to even find a store that had milk. Shelves are bare of almost everything. Stores are getting shipments in, but the demand is much greater than the supply right now. Good luck getting gas. Also Justins and my work are both suffering because of the storms. I work at a boarding facility and Frances hit on labor day weekend, one of our busiest times. We were so pose to have a full house and ended up having to close, that's a big loss of income. Which means cut hours for me and the other girls I work with.

Kfamr
09-09-2004, 06:17 PM
It's supposed to come in a path similar to Charley's original path.

They said thoughon the news, that there's a Canadian cold front coming down this way that could possibly push it back out or somewhere other than Florida.

May sound mean, but it's someone else's turn to get hit. Florida's had enough.

Pam
09-09-2004, 08:17 PM
I heard from my brother-in-law today in Key West. He is being evacuated tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM. He had sent me this picture (posted in this thread below) the night before Frances arrived and it totally missed him. He actually took the photo from his balcony. This time there will be no photos, cause he's outta there! :eek:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57943&highlight=Key+West

Queen of Poop
09-09-2004, 08:24 PM
I can't believe it, a third hurricane. The weather has gone absolutely screwball. It's really cold here, just above freezing. 3 hours to the north of us they had snow today. Everyone please take care of your families and your pets. I will pray that you all remain safe. All the best!

Fox-Gal
09-09-2004, 08:51 PM
3 hurricanes in 6 weeks of each other. I can't take any more of this. I can't take losing any more pets or coming home and finding another piece of my home gone. I'm really ready to leave Florida. After each one my home gets more damage, if a thrid one hits our home wont take it.

And this time there doesn't seem to be any place we can go to. West coast is out, sense that looks like where it's heading. The East coast is already damaged from this last one. My Father's house is in Port St. Lucie, where we would normaly go, but as you know that area took the hardest hit this last time. So his house was damaged and that area has no power or water.
We have beed trying to figure out where the best place to run to is, if we have to leave. There's no place left, safe in Florida. :eek:

And I so worry about my Father. He's in St. Pete right now. (tampa area) sense he can't go back home. So if it hit that coast, where is he going to go, he's to old to take all this. His house is damaged, mines in the middle of the state and we know thats not to safe.

I'm ready to scream and cry at the same time!!!!! To much to worry about all at once, it's like one big huricane sitting over us for weeks, no time even breath a sigh.

GO AWAY IVAN!!!

RobiLee
09-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
This is not a normal Hurricane season. Not at all. It's never been this bad.

My parents still don't see a reason to move though.:rolleyes:

We need to move to Ohio!!

We would love to have you here in Ohio, Kay :p You can go ahead and send that cutie pie, Kiara. Oh heck, send all three of them. I'll keep them safe for ya! ;)

Seriously though, I hate that all this is happening and am so worried about all of you. Please be safe!!

Robin