PDA

View Full Version : UTI

wolflady
07-24-2001, 12:12 PM
I don't get it. We brought Scooter into the vet about a week ago to see if he had a Urinary Tract Infection. It looked as if he was trying to make a dump but couldn't so at first I thought he had a blockage maybe from a hairball...but it turned out that he had what the vet called "a raging UTI", so he gave us antiobiotics and said if it ever cropped up again, to just call for the antiobiotics. That would save the stress on Scooter of hauling him to the vet everytime to find out what we already know. Anyway, this has been a problem with him for the longest time. It just crops up from time to time. Well, we've had him on the antibiotics and he seemed to get better, then on Sunday night..he seemed to be a lot worse! What would cause him to get worse while on medication? Is it possible that he needs a stronger dose of the antibiotic or a different kind? He is going to the vet today because he was quite obviously in pain. I felt terrible because I didn't know what to do to make him more comfortable. I hate feeling helpless when it comes to my pets. He's been squatting everywhere in his playpen(inside as well as outside of his box) straining to go to the bathroom. There has been some blood present in his urine. My question is why is this such a problem with him? Hopefully the vet will give us some more answers today or tomorrow, but this recurrance is really bad. I know that UTI is more common in male cats, but are some more prone to recurrances? Last time the vet checked, he said there were no crystals present, so the food we're feeding him is fine. What are some other things I could do to help prevent a recurrance?? Thanks for any input! :)

thelmalu99
07-24-2001, 12:37 PM
Hi Wolflady,
I don't know anything about UTIs, but I'm just writing to let you know that I hope there's nothing seriously wrong with poor Scooter and that I wish him a speedy recovery. :)
Thelma

4 feline house
07-24-2001, 01:35 PM
Yes, some cats are more prone to recurrences. He may have gotten worse even on medication if the medication was not specific to the organism causing his infection or if it does not concentrate in the appropriate tissues sufficiently. Sometimes a vet (or physician) will give a "wide spectrum" antibiotic, but some organisms are resistant, so if the condition does not clear up a culture will have to be done and a more specific antibiotic given. Since he does not show any crystals, it's not likely that he would have a blockage.

Good luck with him and keep us posted.

wolflady
07-24-2001, 01:35 PM
Thanks Thelma and Spencer :) My mom dropped him off at the vet and said he was absolutely terrified. Hopefully we'll get a solution soon!

AmberLee
07-24-2001, 04:34 PM
Dear Wolflady,

So sorry to hear that Scooter isn't well. Holding you both in our thoughts and prayers.

A.L. and Cassy >^..^< and Livvy >^..^<

wolflady
07-24-2001, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone :) *hugs* to you all :) What a frustrating circumstance this is. Well, the good news is that my mom picked Scooter back up from the vet and brought him back to my home, so he's not having to stay overnight this time. What gets me is now, after the vet diagnosed a bacterial infection with no crystals last week...diagnosed crystals today. I asked if I needed to maybe feed Scooter a special diet last time, and they said no, but this time, they have prescribed a special low magnesium diet that he's going to have to eat for the rest of his life. Hopefully this will help in reducing the possibility of a recurrance! They said that the food should cure it. Hopefully it will help! We've been to several different vets on several occasions, so hopefully one of these is bound to help! Unfortunately UTI is such a hard thing to diagnose, since it comes in multiple forms all with the same symptoms. The links at AskJeeves were pretty informative. Thanks for posting those Spencer.

4 feline house
07-24-2001, 09:11 PM
Watch him closely, if he has crystals he has progressed from a plain UTI to FUS - Feline Urological Syndrome. This will be a lifelong condition, but very often a change of diet alone will halt all symptoms. This is the condition that can cause the urethra to block, which can become fatal in less than a day. The minute you notice him straining, or if you ever notice he has a hard little ball-like lump way down on his abdomen (meaning he can't empty his bladder), take him to the vet immediately. He's in our prayers, but I'm sure he'll be okay with the good loving care you are giving him.

wolflady
07-25-2001, 12:33 PM
4feline, I'm concerned about Scooter. The vet gave us the special diet and sent him home and said that should fix it, but he's still the same as he was before...he's in pain, he's still straining, and constantly licking that area. The vet didn't seem concerned about this as he sent Scooter home yesterday. Scooter doesn't appear to have eaten any of his new food, but that's probably because he's not feeling well. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? Aaron and I decided to finish up the meds, since there wasn't much of it left, and we ended up giving him some water through a dropper since it didn't look like he was drinking anything.

4 feline house
07-25-2001, 01:29 PM
Forcing the liquids is good. Is this a vet you trust? If not, you might want to consider a second opinion if you can swing it financially. I would be concerned, too, that Scooter is not noticeably better by now. Eihter he doesn't have an infection, in which case he needs some other treatment, or the meds are not effective, and he needs a different antibiotic. He's been on the meds over a week now - he should have started feeling better the next day.

Sometimes they have to have their urethras flushed. I can't remember the name of the stuff they use, I think it may be Wohlper's or something like that, and it dissolves the crystals. It isn't a cure, it just resolves the current episode and makes them feel better. If he's an easygoing cat they can do it without anesthesia or with just sedation.

And if this a vet you trust, don't be shy about voicing doubts and bugging him.

If he's not eating because he doesn't feel good, try offering him some tasty table scraps - it won't hurt him. If he's not eating because he doesn't like the new food, try mixing it with his old and gradually increasing the ratio of the new food.

wolflady
07-25-2001, 03:31 PM
Thanks 4feline. I am a little annoyed with the vet right now!! I did call and bug him again today, so now they're going to give me new meds and a shot to administer near his rear end. It's supposed to help with the pain. Yikes! I've never given any animal a shot before! Hopefully it will help. If not, I think you're right in that I should look into a different vet. I seemed to be getting the run around at this one lately! I'll be sure to keep you posted on his progress!

Mao
07-25-2001, 05:45 PM
wolflady... I think you need a new vet.

My kitty had UTI twice. He is doing much better now.

Stress is one factor, multiple cats using a box, or an unclean box can cause it. The antibiotics worked well for him. One time he had to have a cathader (sp?) and that got rid of a lot of the blockage.

cr7clark
07-26-2001, 03:14 PM
Wolflady, keep bugging the vet or find a new one!!! Hugs to you and Scooter, hope he's feeling better soon. Please keep us posted, this is a problem that all of us will face sooner or later. My Abby had it, and it ended up being a major factor in her ultimate demise.

wolflady
07-26-2001, 04:55 PM
Mao, I'm relieved to hear your kitty has gotten through UTI ok :) Yikes...a catheter?? Hopefully he won't have any relapses! *hugs*
Bosmom, so sorry to hear about your Abby. Thanks for the warm thoughts for Scooter and I. *hugs* from me and my babies!!
UTI is really a terrible problem. I was so terrified about administering the shot last night, and I hope we did it right! I couldn't really tell if it has helped any though. He's still on antibiotics and he has eaten some of his new food. We're keeping a close eye on him right now. We will definitely be taking him to a different vet if it looks like he's not improving. It's really tough to choose! There are quite a few in the area. I'm a little disappointed, because the vet that I'm currently going to was recommended to me by someone. It's unfortunate that we really haven't had too good of an experience there. I will keep you posted on his progress. *hugs* to all of you keeping us in your thoughts :) :)

Mao
07-26-2001, 05:25 PM
My kitty, Atticus, had a blockage and when it was removed, the vet squeezed his bladder and everything came out. I think it's been 4 years since his last UTI.

Now he has runny and smelly poop. He has been on Viokase for a month and I think it is helping a little. Very little. I can only feed him within one hour of taking the pill and he goes crazy at feeding time.