PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions...

dappledoxie
09-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Ok, let me give you guys a short background. When I moved out of my moms home in Jan. and into my smaller one bedroom apartment I had to get my dad to take care of Niki my australian shepherd. I moved back in with my mom about a month ago to go back to college. Now, the thing that's got me tore up, I really would like to get Niki back, but everytime I talk to my dad he talks about how much he loves her, how good/smart she is, and how gorgeous. So, now my problem, what do I do!? lol Do I take Niki back from my dad, back to my house where she has to live outside all the time, but she's back with me or do I just let dad keep her, where she goes inside and outside, and keep on just getting to visit my baby?? I'm lost at this point, I've churned over asking you guys and all together what to do. I was kinda worried you guys would think bad of me, but to me it seems totally like something to worry over. I just don't want to hurt her, you know, pass her from me to dad, then back to me especially when he's grown so attatched. Ok, so whine/rant/worry over. Please please give me your thoughts on the situation, I'd really appreciate it as you guys know animals better than my friends, except for those few who are animals lovers like me.

Thanks you guys, and thanks for reading all that.
~Brandy

aly
09-08-2004, 01:49 PM
If your dad is giving her good care and attention and she gets to go inside his home, I would let her stay there. I'm sure you know better where she is happier, but I just feel that an outside only life for a dog isn't good at all. They need to feel like part of the family. I'm sure you spent lots of time with her when she was at your mom's and I know you're a WONDERFUL doggy mom. I just think since your dad is so attached to her and she gets to be inside over there, she might be doing better. Only you know for sure. Does she seem happy when you visit her?

DJFyrewolf36
09-08-2004, 01:53 PM
When I moved out, my landlady was a total B***h about my pup Twilight. At first she was like "ok your pup can go in and out" and all that. Then her cats got kind of fussy and started to pee on things (they do that when they are upset) and she said, mind you in the middle of WINTER that Twilight had to go outside and be locked out there. If I wanted to spend time with her I had to go in the garage (freezing) or outside (freezing more pfft). I finaly let my mom take her because I knew that mom would let her stay indoors. When I moved to a different place I was going to take Twilight with me but I realized mom was so attached and Twilight was doing so much better. I let her stay and visit constantly. I think that if your dad can provide a better home (and it sounds from your description that he will) than your moms place and you're allowed to visit frequently, then you should let your dad keep her as he and the pup seem to share a good bond. Thats just my two cents.

tatsxxx11
09-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I can understand how you feel so torn!!! Of course you want to be nearest to your Niki! How far away does your Dad live? I was thinking, if you're going to be busy all of the day at school (not able to spend much time with Niki) and your Dad lives close enough for you to visit readily, I'd have to vote for leaving her there with your Dad; for a couple of reasons...

You Dad obviously loves Niki a lot, is lavishing her with love and I'm sure, would be very sad to lose her.

Your Mom, well I'm uncertain from your post how attached she is to Niki or dogs in general. But it is sad to think that Niki would be spending day and night outdoors.

And by now, I'm sure Niki has developed a special bond with your Dad too, being spoiled rotten to boot:D And perhaps, she would feel a bit of confusion over the move.

So, if you're still able to visit reguarly, as hard as it would be, I'd say for now, while you're in college, leave Niki with your Dad.

My heart aches for you...I know how difficult a decision this is. Hope others will chime in!:)

Samantha Puppy
09-08-2004, 01:55 PM
At first I didn't know what to tell you but then I put myself in your situation and thought about what I'd do with Samantha, and the answer came pretty quickly.

Based on what you told us, your father loves her and takes excellent care of her. She is well kept, well fed, well loved, allowed in and out - what more could you want? I would leave her with your dad. I'm sorry, I know that's probably not what you want to hear. Unless the only other option was for her to go into a kennel, I would never put Samantha into a situation where she was made to stay outside - ever - muchless after she got used to the comfort of being inside too.

You can still visit her and I'm sure your dad says you can come over anytime, right? And Niki's happy there, right? And your dad doesn't mind taking care of her, right? It sounds like a great situation, aside from you not being able to be with her 24/7, so I'd leave well enough alone.

pitc9
09-08-2004, 02:03 PM
First off...you are a wonderful dog mom!

If I were you, I would leave her with your dad.
You can still love her just as much, but this way she has an inside home! She knows you love her, and she also knows your dad loves her too!!

dappledoxie
09-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your opinions, I always worry myself to death. See, if it was my house, Niki would be inside, no questions asked but since it's mom's house and as most of you may know my mom only lets me and the doxies in one room. :( Out of this whole house, we get one room... and only because they are smaller in size! She says she'd never allow Niki in the house, ever, and I feel like you guys about that, I can't stand to see a pup outside 24/7 they are supposed to be family, how can they be family when they are out in the edge of the yard??!! Arg...but at the same time I sure do love her, and I miss her terrible, I do go see her, but you guys know that sometimes that just makes you want them close more.

I agree now, I think that it's best that she is left where she is. My dad loves her, spoils her, lets her in the house alot, lets her play and release her energy running and playing outside anytime she wants. He only lives let's see....about 10 or 15 mins away so I can see her anytime. Again thanks you guys! Also, more opinions are totally welcome or any thoughts.

~Brandy

wolflady
09-08-2004, 02:15 PM
That's definitely a tough one, dappledoxie. Please don't think we would think bad about you over this. You did what was right for her and you at the time, and it seems like your dad was happy to do it.
I do have to agree with everyone in that it would be easiest on Niki to stay with your dad. Change can be pretty hard on dogs, and it certainly seems like your dad adores her! :) That's a good thing! Has he been paying for vet bills, food etc? If so, then it's even easier to see that it's the best idea to let her stay with him, as he was financially caring for her as well. I know it's tough to make that sort of decision, but I do think it's the right one.

Have you actually spoken with your dad about this? Perhaps he would have some insight. Remember, you can always go and visit her. Good luck and let us know what happens:)
**hugs**
Karen

edit: sorry Brandy, I think I was posting the same time you did! LOL ;)

Uabassoon
09-08-2004, 02:16 PM
I know how hard it is. I went through something similar with my dog Missy (a chow mix). She was living with a good friend of mine who had a nice house and three other big doggies to live with. I would visit her on the weekends and take her to the park. Julie and Cayter were able to meet her last year at a mini Az pet talk meeting. She recently moved to northern Arizona to live in a nice cabin in the mountains. She told me that I could take Missy if I wanted to. I thought about it, and I love Missy so much and the thought of her moving was really hard on me. But I knew that Missy wouldn't be as happy living in a small apartment with two cats. Bev loves Missy just as much as I do, Missy is also bonded with Bev's other dogs. I still get updates from Bev, Missy is very happy in her new home and she is loving the cooler weather and running around the mountains. It's getting close to winter so Missy is going to see snow for the first time in her life, I bet she is going to be so happy running around in the snow. I'm planning on going out there to visit her over Thanksgiving.

As hard as letting Missy go was, I know that I made the right decision.

dappledoxie
09-08-2004, 02:35 PM
I pay for her vet bills and he buys her food, I buy her collars and such too. Oh and treats. :D hehe

Thank you Karen and Uabassoon! :)

Uabassoon, thank you for your story, it totally relates to how I feel/felt before when I moved out too. It's so hard to let go.

Originally posted by wolflady
edit: sorry Brandy, I think I was posting the same time you did! LOL ;)

That's ok :D I still want you guys thoughts so it's ok. :D