PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's gone

thelmalu99
07-20-2001, 10:38 AM
...Gone from this world, that is, but certainly not from my heart.
I left work early yesterday to take him to the vet and when I walked into my house to pick him up, he was considerably worse than the way I had left him in the morning. Charlie was having trouble breathing and when he tried to lay down, he seemed like he was in pain. You know how cats just plop themselves down? Charlie would put his rear down and then slowly ease the rest of his body down. He was breathing through his mouth and his whole body heaved with the effort. His skin was starting to turn blue from the lack of oxygen. Needless to say, something inside me told me that I would not be bringing Charlie back home.
I know I made the right decision for him, but I have to say it was the most difficult thing I have ever had to do in my life. I guess love means that you never want to see your loved one suffer and you know when to let go.
Charlie was a wonderful cat and I feel very privileged and grateful to have been able to have him in my life. I am in incredible pain right now, but I wouldn't trade the time I had with him for anything in the world. He was my little companion and he brought such joy into my life.
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. It really means a lot to me to know that you care.
Thelma

Cougie Wechsler
07-20-2001, 10:54 AM
My deepest sympathies over your loss. I am very sorry and you are certainly in my thoughts and prayers.

wolflady
07-20-2001, 11:00 AM
Oh Thelma, I was so very sad to see your post this morning. I know how hard it must have been for you, but knowing that you did the right thing for Charlie just shows how much you loved him. I'm positive that he knew that too :) You are in our thoughts and prayers during this time of loss...
Much love from Karen and Scooter and Marius...*HUGS*...

catwoman
07-20-2001, 12:00 PM
Thelma,

I am so sorry for your loss of your wonderful Charlie. I know he is looking down on you with love and gratitude as he crosses the rainbow bridge. We are all sending you {{cyberhugs.}}

Dianne

Maresche
07-20-2001, 12:41 PM
Thelma, {{hugs}}
I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie's passing, but never doubt that you did the right thing by him--he's not suffering anymore.
Also remember that you gave him a chance that not many other people would have. I know I'm not the only one who's put down a stray they found as soon as they heard it had FIV/FELV. You gave him a loving home and the best life any cat could want. Never forget that. ;)

Freckles
07-20-2001, 01:50 PM
Thelma, I'm so sorry about your losing Charlie. I know he was only about one year old, but that makes no difference. It doesn't take long at all, for him to fill your heart with love. Remember the good times.

TheAntiPam
07-20-2001, 01:51 PM
One of the hardest parts about opening our hearts to the love of a dear pet is that we also open ourselves to the pain of losing them.

Charlie's love and spirit will stay with you always! My sincere sympathy to you and my best wishes for brighter days of remembering your dear Charlie.

AmberLee
07-20-2001, 03:16 PM
{{Thelma}},

So sorry to hear of your loss. May you find comfort in the memory of the loving home you gave Charlie, and in the hopes of the Rainbow Bridge.

thelmalu99
07-20-2001, 03:43 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you everybody for your kind words. You're all so nice and reading your posts has really helped me start to feel better. :)

Chuck, you're right-it's a blessing that I don't have any other cats. When I adopted Charlie, I wanted to get a companion for him, but I decided to wait until I had him neutered, vaccinated and tested. It's a good thing I did. :)

Cougie, I really appreciate it! :)

Karen, Dianne & Maresche-I'm sure he knew that he was loved. I made sure that those were the last words he heard before he passed. It gives me great satisfaction to know that I was able to provide him with love and a good home for his short life. :)

Joan, yes, it only takes a second for them to steal our hearts, but I don't think we would have it any other way! :)

AntiPam, You're so right! Thank you for your beautiful words. :)

Thelma
Oh, and do you know what was so cute? On Charlie's last night with me (Wednesday), he wanted to stay under my bed and when I went to check up on him, Yertle was under there with him. Call me crazy, but I think Yert might have been watching over him, sensing that he was not okay.

thelmalu99
07-20-2001, 03:46 PM
AmberLee, thank you so much for your comforting words. :)

Thelma

Pam
07-20-2001, 04:09 PM
Oh Thelmalu my heart sank when I read the title of this post. I am so, so sorry to hear this. AntiPam is right. When we open our hearts to these precious animals we know their lifespans are so short but in Charlie's case it was cut way too short. We are never ready. I am glad that Charlie spent his last night with Yertle. Who knows what goes on between animals. I think Yertle may have been a comfort to him. Please know that I feel very badly for what you are going through. If it is any help, most of us have gone through this with some of our pets so feel free to grieve and vent. We understand. We are all friends here.

4 feline house
07-20-2001, 06:53 PM
Thelma,

When I opened up the topic list I gasped, because right there at the top it said "Charlie's gone". I told my son last night that if it had been good news you would have posted immediately after bringing him home from the vet. By the time I first read the post that he was sick, it was already several hours later, and I had that feeling that as I was posting well wishes, he was probably already making the journey to the rainbow bridge. I knew you would have to grieve before you could let us know.

I looked on Joan's list, because I couldn't remember if you had other cats, and when I saw I remembered - just Charlie and Yertle, and Charlie barely out of kittenhood.

I had a little kitty who died of FIP before he was a year old, it was 17 years ago and I still choke up when I tell his story. I know what you are going through.

These little guys are never on this earth long enough, but it seems especially cruel and sad when they've been sick their entire, short lives. I'm so glad Charlie had a compassionate, loving mom to spend his short life with. And I'm glad Yertle helped him cross to the rainbow bridge, for I am certain that's why he was with Charlie last night.

Cyber hugs to Thelma and Yertle ((Thelma&Yertle)), we are all so very sorry Charlie had to go.

I hope, when you are ready, you get another kitty so your blessings of love, care, and compassion can be bestowed on another little furry one needing a good home.

Logan
07-20-2001, 10:14 PM
Dear Friends and Thelmalu,

I can not tell you how heart warming it is to come to a board like this, share in fun stories and games, but also to watch how this special community of pet lovers come together when a member has a sick cat, dog or other pet. There is a very sick German Shepherd being reported on the dog board, and the outpour has been phenominal.

Thelmalu, you are the reason for my post tonight, but I just had to remind each and every one of you how special you are. Charlie had too short of a life, but your love and special attention did not go unnoticed by him. Or us, for that matter. I am so glad you were with him, and knew when it was time. It is one of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make, and I've only done it once, but I remember my vet telling me, you will know. And I did, and you did too.

I don't know if you can hug a turtle, but focus your attention on something, like all the wonderful memories of Charlie that you have. And let yourself be sad. This is sad, and each of us have experienced situations like this and understand exactly what you are going through. Please come to us individually or as a group if you need support.

Logan

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Cinder & Smoke
07-20-2001, 10:57 PM
:( Dear Thelma ~

You know you did your best for Charlie and that now he's in a Better Place - waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Visit PetLoss, the Rainbow Bridge Site (http://www.petloss.com/), it will help.

We all share your loss.

AdoreMyDogs
07-21-2001, 10:58 AM
Thelma...I am so very sorry. My heart aches for you. You did give Charlie the life he deserved, though, even though he was FIV+, and that is worthy of the higest of honors.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you while you grieve for your lost friend.

lizbud
07-21-2001, 09:58 PM
I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved
Charlie....
Your sad news touched a part of my heart that I thought had healed a long time ago.
My Charlie was a Springer Spaniel type
pup adopted at 8-10 weeks at The Indy Humane
Society. A visit to the family vet a week later revealed many problems with Charlie.
Doc said he must have come from a very 'bad
enviroment'Charlie looked fine and even rode home in the passenger seat, content to look at the changing patterns of leaves & sunlight
thru the the car windows.Charlie left this
world less than 5 weeks later.
He was treated for mange on his belly area
but later developed Parvo.Charlie was just not strong enough to overcome all that life
had dealt him.He was released from pain and suffering after it was clear he would never recover. I cried for months.
The point of this rambling post is that
8 mos. later I adopted Buddy(Spep/Husky)
pup whom I love with all my heart and learned
that it is possible to love and care for
another furkid.Take all the time you need to
grieve for your beloved kitty Charlie.
For now... Please try to find some comfort in knowing that your special Charlie was also loved & cared about by a
whole group of fellow Pet Talk people.
Please continue to let everyone know how
you are doing.

shais_mom
07-22-2001, 12:56 AM
My heart breaks for your loss. Greive for him, heal for him, love again for him.
Donate to a humane soc or your favorite rescue WHEN your ready.
We are all here when you need us. We will lift you up when you falter.

tatsxxx11
07-22-2001, 07:51 AM
Oh Thelma, my heart breaks for you. I echo all of Logan's special words about the people here at Pet Talk. This is the most important role we play on this forum; being loving friends and supporters of our fellow furparents; especially as we face the loss of a beloved baby. It is the worst thing to see a topic heading, knowing that it holds the very painful news that one of our dear fur parents is suffering the loss of a furkid. I hope you can take some solice in knowing what a special life, what special love you provided for Charlie here on earth. And you faced the hardest thing a furparent has to do. The price we all must pay for having the privilege of knowing and sharing in their incredible love; for experiencing the joy they bring us. My heart and prayers are with you Thelma. And of course with precious, brave little Charlie. I know he is looking down upon you from the Bridge with love and incredible gratitude for being such a wonderful, loving mommy. Hold Yertle close. I know he will want to comfort you. Love, Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

AvaJoy
07-22-2001, 09:40 PM
Dear Thelma ~

I am just now catching up on reading the posts, and I am shaken by the passing of your beloved Charlie; I have tears in my eyes because I feel terribly for you, and because I realize that I will be facing the same situation eventually.

My approx. 2-3 year old boy is also FeLV+ and his lifespan is uncertain; I enjoy him as if every day may be his last. I commend you for giving Charlie the chance to live his little life, regardless of it's longevity. When I found my youngster and took him to be neutered, etc. his pre-op labs came back and I was given the bad news. It was suggested that he be euthanized. I chose to go ahead with all shots and neutering; hoping and praying for the best. It is an emotional and financial committment not many people are willing to make, because FeLV will steal a cat's life and there is no cure. :(

If it is any comfort, please know that Charlie will always be beholden to you for being so brave and taking him under your wing. Always remember that you did all you could for him, and he knows that you loved him so very much.

Helen
07-23-2001, 03:50 AM
Thelma

Like many of us here, on seeing the title of this thread, I knew the news was bad before I opened it up this morning. I am so sorry for your loss. It takes special love to let a precious friend go, but it is the right and brave thing to do in a case like your lovely Charlie. To grieve is very important and we're all with you as you go through this sad time.

Gio
07-23-2001, 05:51 AM
I only just read the news, I am terribly sorry. I never know what to say in circumstances like these, just that I know how bad it hurts and that I will keep you and Charlie in my thoughts.

Please take care
Gio

Kitty Peon
07-23-2001, 11:48 AM
I am so sorry to read of your loss.
I wish you all the best.

Edwina's Secretary
07-23-2001, 02:01 PM
There are no words to add. God Bless Charlie.

thelmalu99
07-23-2001, 05:34 PM
Thank you everyone for your support and reassurance. This would have been much more difficult without them. It is a tremendous comfort to know that I have so many cyber-shoulders on which to cry. You're all very special and wonderful people.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a computer at home so I could not reply over the weekend, but please know that I am extremely grateful for all of the kind words you have posted.

Pam, thank you for being there.

Chuck, thanks again. You’ve always got this wealth of information to share with us.

Leah, Yes, Charlie was still just a baby. I think they’re right when they say that only the good die young.

Logan, I do hug Yertle, although he doesn’t let me for very long. He was a little more restless than usual this weekend and I felt pretty bad for him. He actually let me hold him a little longer on Saturday. Such a little sweetie-he comforted Charlie, now he’s comforting me.

Phred, Thank you. I will check out that site.

Leslie, thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts.

Lizbud, Thank you for sharing the story of your sweet Charlie. It’s such a difficult thing to go through. It is definitely a comfort to know that you all care.

Staci, Many, many thanks!

Sandra, It is very difficult, and I agree that the joy and love that they bring us greatly outweighs anything else, even this. Yertle and I thank you for your prayers.

AvaJoy, I did the same with Charlie-had him neutered, gave him his shots and took him home. He was a happy, healthy-looking, bouncing kitten just bursting with energy. I figured I would give him the best life I could for as long as I could. Do the same for your little sweetheart. Give him snuggles and kisses every day. It helps to know that you did the very best you could for them. My sincerest wishes that he live a very long and happy life.

Helen, thank you for your comforting words.

Gio, you don’t even have to say anything. Just knowing that you’re out there and you care is more helpful than you know.

Kitty Peon and Edwina’s Secretary, thank you so much.

May God bless all of you and all those that are close to your hearts. :)

Gratefully,
Thelma and Yertle

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

Meow101
07-23-2001, 05:54 PM
Thelma,
I am so very sorry that you lost Charlie. :( It's so sad! I can't imagine how sad you must be, I have never lost a pet (of course I'm only 9 and haven't been alive very long) and it must be so horrible losing one you've loved so much and have only had for such a short time. You certainly have my symphothy. I couldn't imagine losing Boogie or Samson.. Boogie is my beloved 12 year old Tuxedo/Tabby, and Samson is actually my 22 year old sister's dog, but he is wonderful even though he is not really "my" dog. At least you will get to see Charlie in Heaven, and I bet he will be able to talk!! ;) :D :)
Hugs and purrs,
~Mary
ALL ABOUT BOOGIE (http://www.angelfire.com/al3/coolcatband/index.html)

thelmalu99
07-24-2001, 09:25 AM
Mary,
Thank you for your kind words.
This is not the first time I have lost a pet and I can tell you for sure it doesn't get any easier.
I'm trying to focus on the fun times, the goofy things he did and the laughter he brought into my heart. I guess that's the best way to handle this.
Thanks again for being a part of this community of wonderful people. :)
Thelma and Yertle

gini
07-24-2001, 10:49 AM
Dear Thelma,

When I saw your post my heart sank - to that place where your heart is now. Oh boy, do I know that feeling. Over the years I have lost a wonderful dog and three precious cats. Magic went to the Rainbow Bridge last year and in May Patches joined him.

With the exception of the loss of my father
(my mother died when I was very young) I don't think I have ever grieved over anyone as I did the loss of my pets.

I am so very sorry that you have lost Charlie. Time does heal and sometime in the future perhaps you can think about providing a wonderful home to another cat.
In the meantime, my prayers and thoughts go out to you over your loss.

Gini