PDA

View Full Version : OK...how do you pros give meds to your kitties?

boscibo
09-07-2004, 09:52 PM
I got the two drugs in Hanna tonight - the metronidazole is a pill, which the vet halved for me, and the clavamox, which is liquid. My hands got a bit shredded in the process. I put her by the couch on the floor and I blocked the other side of her so she couldn't move away. Then I opened her mouth to get the meds in, and she reached up with her paws and got me. I'll live ;) , but there's got to be an easier way!

I'm going to have to do this alone, the meds must be given 12 hours apart and my schedule and Jeff's don't mesh right now - I have school during the day, and he works nights and doesn't get home until midnight.

Is there a good way for one person to give an uncooperative cat medicines, without either of us getting upset? Bo's hyper-t meds were easy - I crushed tehm and put them in his food, but Hanna still isn't eating well. She did eat a little tiny bit tonight, so I think she is doing better. She cuddled with me for a long time tonight, poor little girl. She was dehydrated when she was at the vet's so she got some sub-q fluids.

catnapper
09-07-2004, 09:57 PM
I asked the same question after Pouncer broke his paw... I got a lot of great suggestions! here's the link to that thread.

http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48950&highlight=How+to+pill+a+cat

boscibo
09-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks! It sounds like a lot of people like the pill poppers. I think my problems are:

1. I have to give two different meds, so she is suspicious by the time the second one comes
2. I'm askeered of the teeth
3. I don't know how to scruff

I am so afraid of hurting her, she's not mellow like Bo. Abby is like this too, but I haven't had to give her anything as far as meds for quite a few years (please stay healthy, Abby!).

kimlovescats
09-07-2004, 10:23 PM
You will NOT hurt her by scruffing her. THe more skin you get in your hand, the better. Grab a handful off the back of her neck, and pull your hand back, so her mouth is facing up ..... then pry her mouth open with your other hand ..... and place the pill as far back on her tongue as you can, then quickly push it down the hatch with your pointer finger. If you have her scruffed enough and her head tilted back enough, she will not bite you!

Good luck!;)

Cinder & Smoke
09-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by boscibo

I think my problems are:

1. I have to give two different meds,
. . so she is suspicious
. . by the time the second one comes
2. I'm askeered of the teeth
3. I don't know how to scruff
4. I am so afraid of hurting her

Item #1:
NO self-respectin KAT is ever "suprized" by meds...
They ALL *KNOW* whut'z up when you just start
*THINKING* it's Tyme for Meds! :p

Item #2:
Fear of Kitty TEEFERs -
Get over it! Anyway - you'll heal (eventually).

Item #3:
Scruffin da Kat =
Gently (but FIRMLY) Grasp the loose skin above the shoulders and
part way up the neck of da Kat...
You're doing what Momma Kat did when Kitty was a Kitten -
Momma used to "Scruff" em in her Teeth to move em around.
Legend has it that even Old Kats "remember" being "Scruffed" and
will "relax" :rolleyes: when YOU do it... :p
Yea, RIGHT!

A Tuff Case may require "Scruffing" da Kat with one hand;
and *quickly* :rolleyes: applying a "Burrito Wrap" with your other 3 hands...
("Burrito Wrap" = SECURLY wrapping Kat and all of it's
14 FLAILING :eek: Pawz & Klawz in a bath towell -
leaving exposed ONLY da Kat's MOUTH and nose.)

When properly "Wrapped" - da Kat will be immobile (you HOPE) and
unable (you HOPE) to inflict any (or at least not TOO many)
wounds upon your body.

Item #4:
HURT her!??? :confused:
Just think of wht She's trying to do to YOU! :eek: :p

Seriously - PRACTICE WITH TREATS!!
1. Doesn't matter if any get lost OR eaten
2. Cheaper than Lost Meds
3. Kitty *may* be fooled a few times into actually *taking* a real PILL!
4. You might actually get GOOD at shoving pills!

LIQUID Meds??
Forget the Hide it in Food - they KNOW it's in there!
"Scruff" or "Wrap" da Kat as required; then
Use a Syringe or Eye-Dropper...
*Insert* into corner of mouth -
*Squeeze* to unload -
*Tickle Chin* + *Rub Throat* + *Blow on Nose* -
and **WAIT** for at least one *swallow*.

*Practice* giving liquids using WATER or Milk if Kitty can
handle milk without any problems.

/s/ Never-Lost-a-Pill Phred :cool:

rosethecopycat
09-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Burrito method for one person.

On hand: pill, pill popper, syringe of water, towel.

Place towel on floor, folded once.

Place cat on towel, wrap up cat, like a burrito.

Hold towel around neck of cat, and kneel over both sides of body, with legs holding sides still. (you and cat facing same direction)

Grab popper (loaded)
With hand that is holding towel, slide it over head, and open mouth, from behind, insert popper and discharge. (popper should go far back in throat)
Close cat's mouth and rub throat (downward strokes) while blowing gentle puffs of air in face. This forces them to swallow. Follow immediately with syringe of water. (syringe in side of mouth, not directly down throat)(if large 3cc syringe, do it in several doses)

I sometimes put a dab of butter on the pill while it's in the popper. If the pill doesn't tend to dissolve. They like that taste.

Uniqueviking
09-08-2004, 05:29 AM
I guess, I kinda cheat, but hey, anything to get her to take it - Beans gets her heart medicine crushed and mixed with a little bit bit of Hill's a/d every day (and I of course monitor her eating it).

Never been able to get the pill popper thing to work and she always ended up spitting the pill out...but so far the bribe thing is working, lol!

Lacey
09-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Pill pockets work wonders with the nasty-tasting pills.

And Mowgli will eat about anything mixed with food, so if I've got to pill him, I get him a bowl with a few pieces of food, a couple of treats, and the pills and in about two minutes the bowl is licked clean.

Zelda, on the other hand, is smarter and will eat everything but the medicine, which means I have to take a more hands on approach. I get on the floor and trap her between my knees so that my hands are free. With my left hand, I grab behind her head, fingers going around her upper jaws and gently pull her head so she's looking up. Then, holding the pill in my right hand, I ease her lower jaw open, drop that pill in as far back as it'll go, and then hold her mouth closed and rub her throat until she finally swallows. And boy will she ever sit there with that pill balancing on the back of her tongue for a LONG while!

With liquid medicine, I would probably have to use the Zelda method on both cats. Never had to try liquids with Mowg before. But anyway, I haven't gotten clawed or bitten yet while giving meds yet, though, it is something I do worry about a bit when I've got my fingers that close to the teeth. But you've gotta do what you've gotta do!

jenluckenbach
09-08-2004, 05:59 AM
my personal method........

hold the cat on your lap upside down

scruff, and the more skin you get the more willing they are to open their mouth.

open mouth and drop pill into the back of the throat (if you are a good aim it will go right down, if not just give it a little push)

If kicking with the back feet is a problem, wrap in a towel but the rest of the steps are the same.

Be firm and confident!!! Good luck.

catmandu
09-08-2004, 08:44 AM
If I can,I try to get the Meds,in a Gel Form,and then try to put,it ,on thier noses! Try,being,the most important word,in that sentance!