PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE.....never assume......

jenluckenbach
09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
I wanted to let everyone know that it is not a good idea to ASSUME something when it comes to your beloved pets. I have heard about many people who have NOT taken their cat to a vet because they were convinced it was a behavioral problem and not a medical problem.

OK......here is what prompts this post........

This morning I caught Jim peeing on the bathroom rug. And for everyone, Jim HAS been proven to have a behavioral peeing problem. He is on medication for this, but there is always the chance that the medicine will not stop the inappropriate peeing.

So I had 2 choices.......
1) Assume it was behavioral, clean it up and forget it.
or
2) Spend money at the vet with the possibility of them telling me what I already know.....Jim has a behavioral problem.

Now I need you to know that I do NOT have money to throw away on a useless vet trip to tell me the obvious, but still I chose to take him.

Good thing! He does indeed have a bladder infection. 2 weeks of Baytril (antibiotic) and he should be fine, but if I dismissed it who knows what could have happened.

Jim showed no other signs of not feeling well.....none at all. But it was only fair to have him checked even with his history of spraying.

Has anyone besides me heard someone say "But I KNOW that he is healthy!! It can't be medical!! I can't afford to take him to the vet" ??

Poor Jim........I realized tonight just how much I love him even with his problems. {{{{HUGS}}}} to Jim.

kimlovescats
09-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Glad that you got him taken care of before it was serious. Get feeling better soon, Jim!;)

jazzcat
09-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Poor Jim. I'm sorry he is sick but I'm glad it was something treatable, if you know what I mean. I know you've been working so hard with him.

I hope the meds work quickly and he's feeling better soon. Thanks for pointing out we shouldn't just assume.

catcrazylady
09-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks for telling us what we already know but sometimes forget.
Feel better soon Jim!!!

K & L
09-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Yes, too often have I heard this remark! I'm glad you opted for the vet and hope Jim is well soon!

rg_girlca
09-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Always go with your gut instinct I say. Never assume.

A point well taken Jen and thank you for posting this.

Prayers on the way that Jim gets well real soon.

AbbyMom
09-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the reminder. We all hate to take the babies to the vets and it's tempting to find excuses to spare them the ordeal. Better safe than sorry!

Prayers for a speedy recovery for Jim!

catnapper
09-07-2004, 09:22 PM
You are so right Jen! You knew to trust your instincts and take him to the vet regardless the cost because you wanted to make sure his health was clear before dealing with a behavioral problem. We should all be as aware of our cat's actions.

Laura's Babies
09-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Hay, I heard Amy sneeze twice in the matter of a few hours and had her to the vet without hesitation. She DID have a fever and possiably the beginnings of a URI!

I agree with Jan 100%! Never assume anything. If it were your skin kid and displayed different behavior, you wouldn't hesitate to pick up that phone and make a call... These babies deserve the same...

catmandu
09-08-2004, 08:51 AM
We are so releived,that Jim,is not a Bad Cat,and that this problem can be healed! Once Again,you are our Hero,for helping Jim,and not just getting angry,at him!

lizzielou742
09-08-2004, 08:53 AM
So glad Jim is OK. What a great reminder to us all! Thank you for posting it. :)

DJFyrewolf36
09-08-2004, 09:30 AM
My mother always told me assuming just makes an @$$ out of U and ME. Im glad you reminded us and that Jim kitty is ok!

Vio&Juni
09-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Poor Jim. But with all your care, he will get well soon.

moosmom
09-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Jen,

You are a true angel. I'm glad you posted this. It will make people with the same cat issues get them the help they need.

(((hugs)))

Catsnclay
09-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Even with medical problems, they need to be checked. Yoshi, my pee-boy gets blood work once a year. Just to make sure his medicine isn't making him sick! :rolleyes:

I've heard a lot of people say "Oh, I'll wait a day and see what happens" As we all know, or should know by now, cats HIDE their illness, its part of being a cat. As for waiting that extra day, with male cats that can be fatal!! :eek: :eek:

Good call Jen! :D

NoahsMommy
09-08-2004, 03:16 PM
I couldn't agree more, Jen. Most peeing is due to some sort of health issue, even if its a small urniary infection...just think of how bad that hurts us. :eek: We're lucky that we can get our own medications, cats aren't.

Good for you, taking him to the vet just in case. :)

jenluckenbach
09-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Just a little update.

Jim's urine had a retest and it came back normal. But he will still need to do another full round of antibiotics. I learned that they always like to do another round AFTER the urine tests clear to make certain that it is cleared up.

nibblets
09-18-2004, 04:26 PM
I nearly made that mistake with my dog Buddy. Something told me it was more than just his behaviour or old age. it was a UTI. he's great now.

rg_girlca
09-18-2004, 10:21 PM
That's great news Jen. I'm so glad to hear that Jim is doing better and pray that he continues to do so.:)

kimlovescats
09-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Just a little update.

Jim's urine had a retest and it came back normal. But he will still need to do another full round of antibiotics. I learned that they always like to do another round AFTER the urine tests clear to make certain that it is cleared up.

Great news!!! Thanks for the update!;)

puppyluvs
09-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Good for you ......
Hope he feels better real soon

Hugssssssss

moosmom
09-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Jen,

I've heard "I can't AFFORD to take him/her to the vet" SOOOOOOOO many times I want to scream!

My feeling is, if you can't afford to take care of a pet, then DON'T GET ONE!!!!!

You did the right thing with Jim. Of course, I had no doubt you would!! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
09-19-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm glad to hear that Jim is doing well and that you listened to your gut instinct.:)
This is a great rule to live by and I try to do this as well.:)