PDA

View Full Version : Kitty gas

Davis Family
07-18-2001, 07:22 PM
Hi, we're new here. These are the sons now speaking for the Davis family.
Anyway, we have a little problem here with one of our cats. She has a slight gas problem, which isn't as bad as it was before, but sometimes happens. Also, how can we teach her to cover her stuff up after a dump?
Another problem is that she has a clogged up nose, for when she breathes sometimes it makes a quiet whiny kinda sound.
We've thought about taking her to the vet for a while now, but we've been busy lately. So now that we've found this message board we hope somebody can help.

Karen
07-18-2001, 07:46 PM
What kind of cat is she? And how old? Pushed-face cats, like persians, sometimes have breathing problems, but I would schedule a vet appointment in case it's a respiratory infection. The gas - could it be a reaction to her food? Does it happen just when she has a certain kind of food, have you noticed?

Pam
07-18-2001, 09:02 PM
We had a dog with a gas problem years ago when we first got her as a puppy. It turns out it was the food the breeder had her on and we had continued with the same food. I asked the vet about her gas problem and he suggested switching to Eukanuba. In no time at all the gas problems had ended. I'm not suggesting that Eukanuba is the answer but a switch in foods might help. As far as not covering her litter box contributions...my daughter's ragdoll doesn't believe in covering his either. Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do. A trip to the vet might be in order to check out her noisy breathing. Hopefully it's nothing, but better safe than sorry.

Davis Family
07-19-2001, 09:02 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the responses to my sons'concerns about our cat Lily. Actually we did switch food - we now most of the time use IAMS and we have noticed the problem is much less. I think the eating too fast could have very well have been a factor also. She is getting better, but she does tend to be kind of a little piggy and wants to eat the other cat's food as well as her own!! the breathing is just when she is sleeping and it is kind of a quiet snoring sound. I think maybe it would be a good idea to get it checked out.

AmberLee
07-19-2001, 10:00 PM
My cats had a gas problem when I first got them as kittens. The vet said it was due to worms. The situation improved greatly when they got (de)worm medicine. Perhaps you could ask the vet if this is a problem with your cat(s)?

shais_mom
07-22-2001, 12:44 AM
I am new to this cat thing, but over on the dog board a member said they give their greyhounds 1T of plain lowfat/nonfat yogurt mixed in with the food everyday and they swear by it and say its been a godsend. I have tried it with my greyhound and it took her a little bit to get used to the taste now she eats it. I tried it with Kylie my cat and she acted like I was crazy!! I lnow with Shaianne my greyhound when I stopped giving her pupperoni (most treats) her gas almost stopped. Before it was lethal!! :eek:
Now she gets semi-moist treats very rarely about one a day.