PDA

View Full Version : Need a Unique Trick Idea...

ParNone
09-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi y'all!

Need some ideas. Gull's basic obedience class started last week and we're going to need a trick to do for the last class. I've got 7 weeks to teach him something. I'd really like him to do something a lil' different then the normal tricks. Anybody got any unique ideas? Something cute and funny? Maybe a stupid pet trick from the Letterman show that somebody saw?;)

Par...

binka_nugget
09-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Not *that* unique but weaving through your legs seems to be an impressive trick. It's not hard teaching it either. Kai caught on really fast.

Hmm.. jumping over your legs/arms (very easy to teach as well)?Jumping through your arms or a hoop?

aly
09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Sometimes the combination of tricks makes them REALLY cute. During the graduation of the last session of the Dog Manners classes I teach, someone had said their dog was an actress. She then got up and did the "bang bang" play dead trick. Then her mom started clapping and the dog stood up and took a bow. Then her mom said "encore!" and the dog stood on her hind legs and jumped around. It was REALLY CUTE in that order!

animal_rescue
09-07-2004, 06:15 PM
hmm I got this off a website I thought you would like it!

Jump Rope!
Foreword: This is a tough trick! But it looks cool once Rover gets it. It also is a good way to get that extra energy a little lower!

Directions:The easiest way to start teaching this trick is to get Rover on a box. You want it large enough for Rover to turn around on, but not so large that Rover can walk around on it. Hold on to Rovers collar and slowly slide a stick under Rover. Start at Rovers forequarters and then move on to his hindquarters. The first time go really slow, so Rover does not get scared and tries to jump of the box. Let Rover step over the stick. Only do this for about 2 minutes at a time.

After Rover gets used to stepping over the stick at a slow pace, go a little faster. Use the command JUMP ROPE when he is jumping over it. Now you can try him with the jump rope. Always start at his front and pull the rope to the back. Once he is jumping over it, you can take him down from the box and try it on the ground. If he jumps over the rope and stays on the same spot your work is done! If not back up a step.

Surprise your friends with teaching your dog JUMP in a different language!
Language| Actual Word|How to pronounce
German |Hopp |Hopp
Dutch |Spring |Sprring
Swedish |Hoppa | Hopp-ah'
Polish |Przeszkoda| Pshesh koda

Shelteez2
09-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Another thing that makes a trick a little more unique is the command you give it. For instance a lady I know taught her dog a wave type trick only instead of saying wave she holds up a treat and says "who wants one?" and her dog puts his paw straight up in the air and holds it there. Very cute if you ask me. :)

ParNone
09-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks y'all! Those are some great ideas. I was worried about being able to teach Gull a sequence of stuff for his trick, but sounds like that could be doable. So think I'll build on all y'alls ideas and roll into one. Look for the video of what we come up with in 7 weeks time. ;)

Aly, what kind of dog was that in your Manners class? I've got a poodle picture in my head from your description.

aly
09-08-2004, 03:01 PM
She was actually a GSD in the puppy class. She was SO CUTE and her owners were wonderful with her. They rescued her from the kill shelter. She was just 3 months old.