PDA

View Full Version : AGILITY!!! i got some questions about it

lute
09-07-2004, 02:28 PM
i was thinkin of a way to get back into shape and do something with beanie at the same time. i suddenly rememberd agility and thought that maybe i should look into it. since i don't have a yard to practice in so i would have to take lessons somewhere.

my questions are......(drum roll please.)
is 5-7 yrs old too old for agility?
where do i go to find a place to take lessons?
are there any breeds too small for this sport?
what if you have a shy dog. will that be a drawback?

thanks!:D

oh and pics of your dogs doing agility are welcome!:D

cali
09-07-2004, 02:41 PM
where you can go depends on where you live.
I dont think its 5-7 is too old to start
and their are no dogs too small to play agility lol I was at an agility fun match last night, their was a chi named kia there who was quite litterally beating out the border collies! there was also a papillon who beat out the BCs as well lol but it was that chi that everyone fell in love with, she was no bigger then my rabbit! lol and shy is NOT a drawback, a lot of times people with shy dogs try agility because its on their own there is no other dogs in the ring with you and the dogs are not supoosed to go say hi to the judge lol if anything I would say its having the social butterfly dogs that are the drawbracks! lol they all want to go see the people on the side lines. :p

binka_nugget
09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Nope, any age (and size) is fine as long as the dog is physically fit enough to do it.

Look around the internet for agility trainers/clubs. An obedience trainer may be able to recommend an agility place as well. You can also look for agility clubs that might offer lessons.

I'm hoping to get the boys into agility soon. It's supposed to help with building up confidence. Kaedyn is fearful of many things and doesn't know how to trust so I'm hoping agility will bring him out of his shell. Kai is also very shy and fearful.

We did jumps in obedience last week. For the past 5 weeks, he has been extremely fearful during classes because he's generally afraid of people and especially men. After 5 minutes on the jumps, he started having a good time and actually wanted to play! :D It really brought him out of his shell.

lute
09-07-2004, 03:28 PM
thanks for your responses!:D
i'm gonna try to get him into agility if i can.

Rio and Me
09-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Hi Al i can say about agility is it is FUN FUN FUN for me and the dog's.

5 -7 isnt to old if the dog is fit and well (tryed it with Beth and she 10).

Rio was shy at the begining but its so FUN she forgot and went mad,lol

We have pratice on wednesday's and i dont have any equiptment, but it doesnt matter because they can teach you correctly without you going home and doing it wrong.

Small dog?, ive seen Pap's doing it almost as good as Collies (on a smaller scale,lol)

Let us know if you do start because we NEED pic's
Ky

lute
09-08-2004, 10:11 AM
oh,don't worry. i'll have to have pics for that. it may be a while before i go though. we are still settling in our apartment.

Kfamr
09-08-2004, 12:16 PM
I'd really love to do agility with one of my dogs, Kiara especially.

That little pup can jump far and high and she loves to run!
We saw an agility school not too far from here on the way home from Ohio... I'd looooovvee to take her but I bet it's far to expensive. I'm going to talk to my dad about making some home-made equipment, because all I want to do it for is for fun, not for compitition.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-08-2004, 05:45 PM
I think agility looks like so much fun! I really want to do agility with Tango:D we are probably signing up for agility classes soon! I also really want to try Flyball.