PDA

View Full Version : Weak Hind Legs

Chris
09-14-2000, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone.
I am concerned about my cat Romeo. I explained on a previous post that Romeo has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. In the last few weeks I have noticed that his back legs seem weaker. It is not like a shaking or tremor, but more like a stiffness and weakness. He still moves around fine and doesn't seem to be in pain. The vet can't explain why this is happening. He suggested arthritis, but would have to confirm it with exploratory surgery. Has anyone experienced this with their cat, and if so, what was the diagnosis? I'm just not sure if it is a part of the diabetes, his medication or a separate health issue. Thanks very much.

------------------

dogncatluvr
09-14-2000, 01:05 PM
Chris,
Exploratory surgery for a diagnosis for arthritis? It sounds to me like your vet may be out to get your money http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif My dog just had her arthritis confirmed by X-ray (she was under anaesthetic to have her teeth cleaned). We were quite sure she had arthritis because she limps sometimes, but since dogs (and cats too I think) won't sit still for an X-ray, they usually put them under anaesthetic.
My dog has been on Glucosamine and Chondriotin Sulfate for a number of years and it helps her. This may be something you might want to look into before exploratory surgery.

Chris
09-14-2000, 01:15 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. My vet did mention exrays, but said that it is often very difficult to confirm arthritis in cats through exray. He said he usually comes across it during surgery for other health matters.

Originally posted by dogncatluvr:
Chris,
Exploratory surgery for a diagnosis for arthritis? It sounds to me like your vet may be out to get your money http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif My dog just had her arthritis confirmed by X-ray (she was under anaesthetic to have her teeth cleaned). We were quite sure she had arthritis because she limps sometimes, but since dogs (and cats too I think) won't sit still for an X-ray, they usually put them under anaesthetic.
My dog has been on Glucosamine and Chondriotin Sulfate for a number of years and it helps her. This may be something you might want to look into before exploratory surgery.

dogncatluvr
09-14-2000, 03:18 PM
Chris,

I'd still leave the surgery until all other options are exhausted. Try medication first?
With his diabetes, I don't know if medications would interfere with eachother, though. All the best, Romeo!

Deb
09-14-2000, 09:02 PM
Hi Chris,

I remember 'chatting' with you about Romeo back in July . . . I mentioned in my post that my cat was diagnosed with diabetes about a year and a half ago. The main symptom was weakness in his hind legs. He was having difficulty climbing stairs and, eventually, even walking was difficult. Like your cat, he did not seem to be in pain -- just weak.

Our vet said that this is quite common with feline diabetes. He said that certain muscles become atrophied because the diabetes essentially 'starves' the muscle tissue and it begins to degenerate. He also said that the insulin injections should at least stop his muscles from any further weakening, and that there was a good chance they could improve.

Well, over a year later, he has totally bounced back and has no muscle problems whatsoever. So, there is definitely hope for Romeo!

BTW, I don't mean to be presumptuous, but have you considered checking out another vet?

Good luck. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Chris
09-15-2000, 07:43 AM
Hi Deb.
Thanks for the feedback. It really helps! I have strongly suspected that the leg weakness was due to the diabetes. However, Romeo is not on insulin. A new pill medication came on the market this Spring and the vet suggested trying it before the insulin shots. But I don't think it is working. The vet is concerned about putting Romeo on insulin because he is not a very good patient. He gets very aggressive in the clinic and the vet and technicians have a hard time handling him. The vet feels that this will make it difficult to get accurate and regular glucose levels. But ultimately it is my decision and I can't stand to see Romeo suffer--even if his legs don't hurt, it must be tramatic for him to have this loss of strength. Thanks again for your reply. It has given me renewed hope. Has your cat responded well to receiving the shots? Did you notice a decrease in appetite? Thanks again!

Originally posted by Deb:
Hi Chris,

I remember 'chatting' with you about Romeo back in July . . . I mentioned in my post that my cat was diagnosed with diabetes about a year and a half ago. The main symptom was weakness in his hind legs. He was having difficulty climbing stairs and, eventually, even walking was difficult. Like your cat, he did not seem to be in pain -- just weak.

Our vet said that this is quite common with feline diabetes. He said that certain muscles become atrophied because the diabetes essentially 'starves' the muscle tissue and it begins to degenerate. He also said that the insulin injections should at least stop his muscles from any further weakening, and that there was a good chance they could improve.

Well, over a year later, he has totally bounced back and has no muscle problems whatsoever. So, there is definitely hope for Romeo!

BTW, I don't mean to be presumptuous, but have you considered checking out another vet?

Good luck. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Deb
09-15-2000, 08:27 PM
Hello again,

Yes, my cat is doing wonderfully. He still goes to the vet every other month or so for blood work to confirm that the dosage is correct. They finally seemed to hit on the right dosage after a few months; it hasn't changed for several months now. He currently gets 3.5 units, twice a day.

He has regained all of his weight -- perhaps even a little bit more (we'll have to work on that) -- and his appetite is VERY good. Since the beginning of his treatment, he has had an enormous appetite. He has also taken a liking to 'human' food, which is a new thing for him. However, I have noticed that it seems to have levelled off a bit in the past couple of months in that he no longer inhales his entire meal in a single sitting. Still, he always complains he's hungry. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif

Hope this helps.

Chris
09-18-2000, 07:27 AM
Hi Deb.
I'm very glad to hear your cat is doing so well. It really gives me hope! I hope the two of you have a long, loving and happy life together. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Originally posted by Deb:
Hello again,

Yes, my cat is doing wonderfully. He still goes to the vet every other month or so for blood work to confirm that the dosage is correct. They finally seemed to hit on the right dosage after a few months; it hasn't changed for several months now. He currently gets 3.5 units, twice a day.

He has regained all of his weight -- perhaps even a little bit more (we'll have to work on that) -- and his appetite is VERY good. Since the beginning of his treatment, he has had an enormous appetite. He has also taken a liking to 'human' food, which is a new thing for him. However, I have noticed that it seems to have levelled off a bit in the past couple of months in that he no longer inhales his entire meal in a single sitting. Still, he always complains he's hungry. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif

Hope this helps.

Jandy
02-18-2001, 09:43 AM
Hi, Chris, I hope you and Romeo are doing well. I just want to say "hi from someone in the same boat" and offer a couple of ideas. (I hope one or two might be new.) My vet hadn't had much success with pills but my cat adjusted to insulin shots almost immediately. I give them while he's enjoying his food. It could be that he's concentrating on the chow or that he sees food as a reward for taking the shot. His hind legs are often weak, which my vet says is a common symptom. If you're still working with the doctor who suggested exploratory surgery it does seem like a good idea to get a second opinion, maybe from someone who's got lots of experience working with diabetic cats. Since my cat's glucose levels fluctuate, and the stress of hospitalization makes them atypical, I've just gotten permission to test at home. If your vet also thinks this is a good idea glucometers sell for as little as $10. (The testing strips and lancets cost considerably more.) Best of luck!

Troy
02-18-2001, 08:07 PM
Hi Chris,

I don't know much about diabetes in felines but I just thought I'd echo some of the other peoples feelings and strongly suggest you do everything else before surgery.

Good luck to you and Romeo...