PDA

View Full Version : "Lil' Bit's" off to the white coats at 3:30

QueenScoopalot
09-07-2004, 11:50 AM
The exclusive high priced feline only white coats:rolleyes: :eek: I don't trust anyone at the nearby vet clinic will care to do much for Lil' Bit. They wanted to schedule him to be looked at tomorrow, but I think one of the vets overheard his condition and wants him there today. I'll post here later after I get back with him. Off to mess up the bathroom and his chest with lunch! :rolleyes:

catlover4ever
09-07-2004, 12:12 PM
I hope and pray everything turns out OK with "Lil Bit's". Keep us posted.

Laura's Babies
09-07-2004, 01:01 PM
OH! I am SO glad you are getting him in today with the one you trust!! Let's hope ALL the news is GOOD news for him, poor little tyke has been through enough already to have to go through anymore. I am sending prayers for GOOD NEW for Lil Bit..

Let us hear back ASAP! Tell that vet, you have a WORLD of people waiting for news so hurry up....but so the best job they can for this little fighter!

Grace
09-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Prayers and good thoughts headed your way. Keeping fingers and toes crossed, also.

kimlovescats
09-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Sending prayers for Lil Bit ..... waiting for an update!;)

DJFyrewolf36
09-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Prayers on the way for this special little guy!

catcrazylady
09-07-2004, 01:54 PM
So many prayers and good thoughts coming your way Lil Bit! You hang in there and I just know the white coats can make you better.

aly
09-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Good luck to Lil Bit and you today! I am hoping and praying for the very best news. Please update us when you can. I will be on pins and needles. This little guy has stolen my heart and I'm thinking of him constantly.

Felicia's Mom
09-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Prayers being sent for Lil Bit!:)

RedHedd
09-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Big prayers for Li'l Bit. Do keep us posted!

catnapper
09-07-2004, 05:37 PM
How did the appointment go? I ma praying he's a-ok!

carla and mike
09-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh so glad Lil bit is seeing a doctor today.Please let us know
when you can how the visit turned out.We are all worried about the little love you saved.

jazzcat
09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm very anxious to here an update!!! Paws and fingers crossed it went well.

QueenScoopalot
09-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Well good news and bad news. :( Good news is i did everything right by him till his visit today...Clavamox, etc. Bad news is he has multiple puncture wounds under his throat (three there) one missed his jugular vein (which can be seen through the hole) by a fraction of an inch. I got home from work to bathe him and feed him before his visit, and noticed more pus coming out of a hole between his left ear, and his eye. I put a hot compress on it and it poured pus from all directions. :( He's on six month quarantine, and there's no way of knowing without tranqualizing him if his tongue will function. The vet thinks it's due to whatever attacked him damaging something at the base of his tongue. She also thought that the gunk from under his tongue was partly his own tissue dead under there, and mixed with debris. I have to keep up what I've been doing, and hope his tongue regains function. He purred so much at the vets office that she couldn't even listen to his heart & lungs! I brought his modified baby bottle along to show her how he attempts eating...just nuzzles food on the floor. He also tried to grab the bottle of lube for taking temps, thinking it was his bottle! I've created and nurtured a monster! :D I made the mistake of leaving the bottle in his carrier with him, and the lil brat chewed the nipple off! LOL! :eek: :rolleyes:

RedHedd
09-07-2004, 06:43 PM
God bless you for taking care of this Li'l Bit of a kitten. Sounds like he's going to need a lot more prayers and he's getting them from here. Poor little guy! I wonder what attacked him? Did the vet think it was an animal bite? Poor little one.

carla and mike
09-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Great work so far Jan.You're a hero.What about the hole.Did they say it will close soon with meds?Boy he went thru terror.He's just so happy to be loved even though he's in such pain that he can't stop purring.Probably never dreamed of happiness like this.You holding him.Feeding him thru syringe,exc.He's so very gratefull to you.It's so obvious.He loves you so very very much.:)

jazzcat
09-07-2004, 06:58 PM
That poor little guy. Bless you Jan for taking such good care of him!

Thank you for the update and we will continue prayers on this end.

Grace
09-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Poor little thing - I feel so badly for him. Luckily he has you, Jan.

Why is there a 6 month quarantine?

catnapper
09-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Thank you for the update! Sounds like he's really feeling better and gettign some spunk to him! I hope those holes heal and his tongue starts to work properly. Keep up the fabulous work!

catcrazylady
09-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Oh I'm so relieved but still heart broken at what he has been through. He sounds like such a wonderful little guy that it brings tears to my eyes. Purring and happy after all life has put on him. What a very special little boy!!
Jan, can we tell you enough how wonderful you are? How special and kind? You are a very special lady and Lil Bit is a very very lucky boy!!!

It sounds like your going to be very busy feeding this very hungry kitty. It will probably take him a long time to get full and realize that food will always be there.
How come he needs to be quaratined of so long?

I'm jst so happy to know that he is going to be ok. I still truly believe that he will recover and be able to eat on his own! PT prayers are still coming and we all know what miracles they can work!

kimlovescats
09-07-2004, 07:16 PM
What a pitiful yet lucky little fella. Gosh, what terror and pain he must have been through with whatever attacked him. :( Thank you so much for making this little one a high priority of yours, Jan!

God Bless You!
Kim;)

QueenScoopalot
09-07-2004, 07:23 PM
The six month quarantine is the law in Mass. when it's a wound of unknown origin. Being bitten so badly around the head by either an aggressive tom cat, or possibly a young racoon means he may come down with rabies. The further from the bite wound, the longer rabies takes to travel through the nervous system, but if (and I doubt it) he does develop rabies it will be a quicker onset due to it not having to travel as far to reach the brain. *sigh* Just got done with another messy meal, and a hot soak on all his boo-boos. And I took a few pics....but other kitties are waiting for dinner, so I probably won't post them tonight. He looks so much healthier already! Pinker nose, and fluffy clean coat of fur. He never stops purring sweet little boy. :)

leslie
09-07-2004, 07:26 PM
The 6 month quarenteen is due to Mass laws regarding rabies. Whatever bit him has to be assumed to have been a carrier. Every one in contact with the kitten, by law is advised to get rabies shots (i ain't gonna do it and jan is prevacinated). This boy was grabbed by the head by some animal, let go and in the split second the animal let go- he got away. (Probably from the trash dumpster right up the duct into the store- Dr. Bird said wounds are approx. 1 week old; oh so maybe not). Anyway, she thinks the anemia is primarily from initial severe bleeding from these 5 teeth wounds, and that the fleas likely feasted on it and then left for the most part- as he was depleted of rbcs. The damage to his tongue could be muscular, neuro, or both. Dr. Bird said it is not worth sedating him and finding out right now, best to let him heal first, and see what happens with his tongue as he heals. The only way he can eat is by Jan holding the bottle up so the liquid food can go straight down his throat but not so fast so he'd aspirate. Since his tongue isn't working, the food has to roll down to point where he can swallow. The damage is maybe at the early part of the esophogeal (hindering the tongue's ability to reach). He LOVES his bottle! He loves to grab the nipple as it stands up right to say, time to feed me! The bite wounds are horrific. He has live round worms but no eggs (odd) so jan will continue with Strongid. She needs to do hot to wrist compresses as frequently as she can through out the day to wounds and continue bottle feeding. clavamox twice daily for 2 more weeks. Then call with update. Dr. Bird was very thorough. No temp! Age guess- born in June.
What ever the animal was- this boy was lucky the bite didn't include a pull on or shake on it!
Jan, gonna show everyone how clean he is now? (BTW, the hole in chin does not perforate through to his mouth but it is possible that the bottom of his mouth debrided some from muscular atrophy (which Dr. Bird did see under the tongue) and that is what the pinkish stuff was- the rest could have been leaves or veggies from trash)...
Jan is gonna be busier than ever! fyi Feline Hospital is the vet my cats go to that from time to time I post about here because they are so good- expensive but thorough! It's worth it when one doesn't know what one is dealing with! I'm glad Jan decided to get sqeezed in today!

QueenScoopalot
09-07-2004, 07:32 PM
LOL Leslie...you must have been typing just as I was! Thanks for coming along for moral support (I needed an extra brain as mine's malfunctioning) to sort out everything, and ask questions I might not have. :D

leslie
09-07-2004, 08:30 PM
pictures of the pretty boy? You can do it! Gotta do his bird feeding and compresses anyway!

rg_girlca
09-07-2004, 10:08 PM
My heart is breaking thinking what this poor little one has been through.

I hope and pray that his boo-boo's heal well, that his tongue will function normally once again and especially that he doesn't have rabies. Poor sweet soul.

Thank you Jan and Leslie from the bottom of my heart in helping this poor little fella.
Glad you were there Leslie, for moral support for Jan.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of him again.:)

Laura's Babies
09-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Poor little guy has been through it hasn't he? This is one of the most disturbing stories I have heard in a long time but he seems to be one major little fighter!! Thank God he has all of you to look after him and see that he gets what he needs.

Bless all of you for helping this wee bit of a thing, EVERY life is prescious!

leslie
09-07-2004, 10:25 PM
you are so right! Dr. Bird showed us exactly what kind of teeth went into each hole (canine etc). he is so lucky to have gotten away from whatever grabbed him! I just keep wondering why the animal didn't shake him and keep coming back to Tom cat. A really starving tom might do that much damage and let go without ripping (inlike a raccoon or possom). Hopefully he will gain strength in his tongue. Jan was funny at the vets today, "I don't think I can keep feeding a 5 year old cat this way!" (kitten was eating out of the bottle like a bird...

aly
09-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Oh wow. The poor little guy :( Seems as though he's got a guardian angel for sure though :D I have been thinking about him and the vet visit all day long! I absolutely cannot wait for new pictures of him. I really wish I was closer so I could help you out with his care. Sounds like you will definately have your hands full!

QueenScoopalot
09-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Pictures posted on a new thread...maybe I should rename him "Birdie"??? That's actually cute for him Leslie and it does remind me of feeding a baby bird! :D Peep...peeepp..peeeep..Aly, I wish you were local too...I'd put you to work and fill up your house lol! Peep:D :p

NKBurlington
09-08-2004, 07:39 AM
You are both very lucky to have each other.

I'm sending prayers and good vibes for Lil Bit to get better. He's been through so much and my heart is breaking for the little guy!

LaRana
09-08-2004, 08:24 AM
What a sweet lil thing!
What a poor sweet little thing! I'm sure it warms your heart to see a grateful purring kitty when you feed him. It always makes the job easier when you have a grateful "patient" to work with.

At first when I saw the stuff that came out of his mouth I thought "Hmm, he has a problem with Chewing Tobacco.. need to talk to him about that." But that makes sense about the dead tissue and whatnot. That bite probably gave him a sore mouth and since his tongue isn't functioning properly, he couldn't spit out the nasty gunk. Poor little baby.

You certainly are being a good mommy to this little boy. Most people would have just put him down on the spot, or called the pound to do it for them It's nice to have people that will work at healing the sick - human and animal alike. My husband went through some severe trauma about 6 years ago (we were engaged) when he had a car wreck, and sometimes he wishes they had just "put him down" like he originally requested at the scene of the accident. He's recovered fairly well considering it all (never will fully recover), but mostly thanks to great doctors and nurses who helped heal the mind and the body.

Hopefully he will get better soon and you will see his sweet personality happily frolicking all over the place!

catmandu
09-08-2004, 08:33 AM
All The Found Cats,hope and Pray,that Lil Bits,is All Right,and The White Coats,can help out!