PDA

View Full Version : Wilbur's Leukemia

casmeow
07-13-2001, 10:52 PM
Just wanted to see is anyone else has had a cat diagnosed with the human form of Leukemia. Wil has been very fortunate to have a vet that knew exactly how to treat this - altho I just found out that it was the human form & not FLV. We have truly cherished the months we've had with Wil - he was diagnosed last September, and not knowing anything about this disease, thought we'd prob only have him with us about a month, if we were lucky. After having about 3 close calls, he's still here and acting really well, even tho in the last 2 months he's seemed to have gone out of what seemed like remission, as his white cell count has doubled. As long as he stays happy and contented, the remaining time is a gift.

The last time we had his blood checked, a different vet was covering for our regular vet. She was the one that told us that she'd never seen this "human" type of leukemia in a cat before, and that it was very unusual.

So if anyone has known a cat with this type of Leukemia, I'd like some feedback. Our regular vet said that Wil's prob lasted at least as long or longer than he might have, had he been given chemo - which we decided against. I did just find out tho, that there now is a chemo pill to treat some cancers in cats, as opposed to an IV drip, which sounds much easier and more humane.

Thanks for any info you may have.

4 feline house
07-13-2001, 11:53 PM
Casmeow, I remember Wilbur. I posted my first message on Pettalk in response to one of your first questions about Wilbur's leukemia. I remember saying that if it were my kitty, I would forgo the chemo in lieu of a happier, if much shorter, end of life. I am so glad to hear he's doing okay, all things considered, even tho y'all decided not to do the chemo.

Maybe the pill is a better idea.

I'm glad you've updated us on his condition.

casmeow
07-14-2001, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by 4 feline house:
<STRONG>Casmeow, I remember Wilbur. I posted my first message on Pettalk in response to one of your first questions about Wilbur's leukemia. I remember saying that if it were my kitty, I would forgo the chemo in lieu of a happier, if much shorter, end of life. I am so glad to hear he's doing okay, all things considered, even tho y'all decided not to do the chemo.

Maybe the pill is a better idea.

I'm glad you've updated us on his condition.</STRONG>