PDA

View Full Version : need help

Joannie
09-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Hello all, I need some help, I rescued a tiny little kitten yesterday, its little eyes are so full of gook and it is so thin and weak, I hope it will survive. I cleaned out its eyes with a little water and have been giving it some warm milk with a syringe. I have it in my potting shed in a large storage container with a soft towel, what can I feed it, should I get a kitty bottle, what do I do for its eyes? I appreciate any help, Thanks Joannie:(

Barbara
09-07-2004, 10:16 AM
I have no experience with kitties that small but there are people here who have. Try to PM jenluckenbach, kimlovescats or K&L.
I hope so much you get the right information!

I found something in another thread too. L.Wayne wrote:

When it comes to nursing such a little new-born kitten, and assuming that mama cat will not come back to retrieve it, the best thing to do is to make a warm blanket for the little one. I believe that a cat's normal body temperature is about 105 deg. F. , but you might want to verify this. Using an electric blanket is OK but I suggest that you place a thermometer in the place where the kitten will rest. and attempt to keep the temp at a constant. Also, feeding may become a problem in that such a little one will require feeding about every 2 hours or so. Although I have not tried this, you might take a kitten's full nursing bottle and place it in such a manner where the kitten can nurse it any time she wants I am thiniking of a styrofoam block with a hole in it to receive the bottle, and bury in in the heating pad or blanket. I have heard that some folks will loose sleep while feeding a small kitten, until they grow out of tiny kittenhood in about a month. Perhaps if you can find a nursing queen, would be better than humans attempting the same role -that is, if she will accept it. Nursing mama cats will often take in kittens from a different litter

If you can call a shelter and if they have a nursing mom, the little one will have a better chance as they get a lot of substances their immune system needs with the milk.

Fingers and paws crossed for little kitty.

Grace
09-07-2004, 10:40 AM
You can also try a pm to QueenScoopalot. She's got lots of experience with tiny kittens.

kimlovescats
09-07-2004, 11:07 AM
I sent you a PM with extensive instructions! Check your Inbox!

;)

leslie
09-07-2004, 08:51 PM
how is baby doing!? Please let us know.