PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer male or female cats?

molucass
09-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Please vote if you like male or female cats better, and post why....

We have 3 female cats right now, and if we get a new kitten, I was thinking of getting a male, but I'm not sure if I should or not. I've always wanted a male orange tabby though.

So if you have males tell me why you like them.

Sorry if this confusing... :o

Soledad
09-06-2004, 07:47 PM
I feel bad voting for this, but with my experience, I think I find male cats more to my liking. They're just sort of more calm, mellow and easy going. Females always seem to be somewhat spazzy and not as loving.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this one, though!

catnapper
09-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Male cats!!! I have always had only male cats. When we got Allen, Grant wanted a girl cat because he thought boy cats sprayed... "all the male cats I've ever had were sprayers." I rolled my eyes and got Allen anyway. Now he's reformed and only wants male cats. :D He is amazed at how sweet and affectionate both our boys are. He's never had a cat that wanted loving, or that rolled onto their back for belly rubs.

Craftlady
09-06-2004, 07:57 PM
We've had boys and girls.
RB Butterscotch (boy) was a loving guy.
Skinny (boy) is a loving very affectant guy and attention hound :)
Thumper (girl) is a Princess :) She is my snuggler :)
Eleanor (girl) is a Princess too :) She also is a snuggler :)

manda_moo87
09-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Well in my life time I've only had 2 cats. 1 male and 1 female, and I personally like the termperment of my female cat much better, I find her to be much more affectionate and cuddly. But they're all different! :p My male cat was more of an independant guy, didn't like people so much, but I know many male cats which are quite the opposite!

jenluckenbach
09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
I have always found males to be more laid back, and lovable. But lately, since fostering some mom cats, I am begining to see some absolutely lovely female personalities.

Grace
09-06-2004, 09:24 PM
We have 3 boys and 2 girls - and I really have no preference.

Laura's Babies
09-06-2004, 09:26 PM
I have 3 females and one male but I really have no prefferance to what gender they are. I have had sweet, loving attention beggers of both genders. I really think it is the cat, not the sex, that decided it's temperment....and how it is treated before you get them.

jazzcat
09-06-2004, 09:30 PM
I voted no preference but if I based it on my three I should have voted females. I have two females and one male and my females are much more pleasant to be around than Ripley was at their ages. Ripley is 12 years old now and has finally slowed down but the first 5-6 years of his life were very trying because he has a Feline Rage problem which he took out only on me. On top of that he was overly active and destructive. My girls are not too wild and much more affectionate, plus they have never intentionally hurt me.

davidpizzica
09-07-2004, 09:01 AM
We had only female pets. Even when we owned dogs they were girls! So I just kept up the tradition!

sirrahbed
09-07-2004, 10:25 AM
All of our cats have been males until Princess Emily. The males have been more easy going and laid back. Princess Emily is sweet but she is moody (typical?) Not only do I prefer males but I prefer that they be orange :D

But - we are broadening our family and adding a tuxie male and a calico girl:D

rosethecopycat
09-07-2004, 11:01 AM
I have learned something while working for Rescue.

There is a very significant advantage to matching the gender of a new cat to the genders in the home already. Our rescue has placed close to 3000 cats and very much advocate mixed matches. Male and female. In addition to that, temperament is taken into consideration: Alpha, Laid- Back, Victim, Scardey, Passive are a few of the classes.

Through their experience, they found that two females close in age (within 5 years) is not a good match. Also, putting many (more than 3) males together can spell trouble (with marking, although neutered)

That does not mean that it never works out, it means the chances are less likely to have a happy household. Remember, cats form a heirarchy.
Some cats do not like any other cats.

I had a preference for male cats, until I added my third cat, Bella, a easy going female. I would definitely vote for peace in the house over my preference for males. Anyway, Bella, is my heart, my sweet baby girl, and she sold me on the love of females. So, now, it matters not.

:)

jazzcat
09-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Rose - that is very interesting. I've always wondered what number might be the breaking point for Ripley that he might start spraying. I'd love to get a kitten, and preferably a male so I have two of each, but my husband thinks bringing another male in will cause spraying problems by either Ripley or the new male.

As for my girls, they are about 6 months apart in age and they do play together but it usually ends up a little rough and heated. None of my three sleep together or even like to be near each other for long amounts of time.:( That is one reason I want a kitten, I'm hoping one of my will bond with it but I'm afraid four cats int he house may be too many and I'll end up with behavioral issures.

ScantyNebula
09-07-2004, 02:31 PM
No preference .. I love my boy and girl equally. They both have different qualities that are just great. If I were to get another cat .. I think it would be a boy. Just because Toby and Lily don't get along very well and I think a nice companion for Toby would be great, seeing Lily is always with me.

lizzielou742
09-07-2004, 02:40 PM
I have a boy and a girl and I love them both! :D

Catboy123
09-07-2004, 07:24 PM
i voted males because with my experience trough my cats lucky,oreo,cocoa,gizzy,and billy the males like to play more, are more social, and love to purr talk and nuzzle you morethan the female because in my experience the females only want to be touched and nuzzle when they feel like it but males will do it almost 24/7.

catmandu
09-08-2004, 08:56 AM
You know i dont really find all that much difference,between the Male,and Female Found Cats!