PDA

View Full Version : I'm co-fostering again!!

NoahsMommy
09-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Remind me to never tell anyone here that I'm done with new kitties...seems whenever I do that, a new cat comes around. ;)

I was at work on Saturday and some woman called to say they wanted to come by because they had to put their kitty down. As usual, I was nice, figuring it was a sick, older kitty.

When the husband came by, he paid and handed over the kitty. This isn't unusual, as a lot of people are too upset to stay. I took the kitty to the back and asked the techs to put her in a kennel. When they took her out, I saw she was a young cat and was gorgeous!!

We looked at the chart and saw she was only 4 years old and had no past history other than her yearly vaccines. I went to the front to give the owner back the port-o-prison and asked if he wouldn't mind sharing why the kitty had to be put down.

He asked me to come outside and then told me the cat sprays the home and they couldn't deal with it or the money to purchase new furniture any longer. I had to act understanding...as my cats and I are accustomed to eating. :rolleyes: :mad:

I went to the back and we proceeded to look in the kitty's chart to see all their other pets were put down around the same age. The last cat was 4 years, 2 months old and was "vicious". Uh huh... :mad:

So, I had to save her. David didn't agree to it, so I called my friend CiCi and she said to bring her over. :) The doctor at work said it was OK with him, as long as I got permission from the owner. THAT, was a fun call. :mad: :mad: She told me it was OK, and that she tried sooooo hard to find her a home. She also mentioned that the cat may be happiest without other animals or children.

She's really, really scared, but seems like a sweet girl. I'm wondering if the previous owner's comment about kids/animals had anything to do with that. She isn't eating yet, and its been two days. :( I hope she'll relax a bit soon.

Anyway, I've pressured CiCi to take pictures of her so we can find her a home. So as soon as I get them, I'll share them here.

We named her Ophelia and she's a beautiful all white, short-haired cat. She has one blue eye and one hazel eye. I want to protect her and make her feel loved so bad. It hurts to see her so fearful. :(

Laura's Babies
09-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! That makes me SO ANGRY!!:mad: :mad: If she don't want to commit to a long term with a cat...QUIT getting them! That is totally S T U P I D!!!!! GRrrrrrrrr! Thank you for saving that baby!

catnapper
09-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Good Luck with the lovely Ophelia! How are people like that able to adopt more pets? What is it? Do they get tired of a pet after 4 years? Do they have expiration dates "Best if used by?" :mad:

Anyway, I know you and CiCi will find a wonderful forever home for this lovely lady . I can't wait to see pictures of her!

rg_girlca
09-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Origianlly posted by NoahsMommy
I went to the back and we proceeded to look in the kitty's chart to see all their other pets were put down around the same age. The last cat was 4 years, 2 months old and was "vicious". Uh huh...

ARRRRRGGGGGG Do we see a pattern here. It is very clear that these people should NOT have any more animals at all.

I'm so glad that they agreed to let you have her and I hope and pray that you find a kind, loving home for her.
BTW, I just love the name Ophelia. She sounds like a doll.

christa
09-06-2004, 09:09 PM
My heart's breaking for this kitty, but I am sooooooooooo glad that you will be able to help her live out her life.

Just think if they would have taken her somewhere else that might not have asked questions or cared why she was being put down???!!!???

Definitely meant to be . . . I'm glad she found you!

And I'm even more glad that the original owner was semi-smart by agreeing to let you have her.

Why would they have her put down before putting her in a shelter???

Sounds like a tragic story with a happy ending!

NoahsMommy
09-06-2004, 09:41 PM
I just got a call from CiCi. Ophelia isn't eating or drinking yet. :(

We've offered her wet food and tuna. Dry food and water are always there for her.

Any ideas? If she doesn't eat by tomorrow, she'll be taking a trip back to the vet to make sure she's OK. :(

kimlovescats
09-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Good luck, and God Bless you for taking this kitty in, Kelly!
Hopefully, she is just totally in shock about her sudden abandonment!:mad: I hope she wasn't abused in some way, because of her peeing problem .... makes me wonder with owners like these people obviously are! :rolleyes: :(

rg_girlca
09-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Poor sweet baby. I hope it is just because she is so scared and nothing else.

Is Cici able to pet her or hold her?
Has she tried putting food on her finger and putting it on her mouth. Maybe if so does this and Ophelia gets the taste of it, she will start to eat. Or maybe putting water in a syringe to get her to drink something.

Oh I hope and pray that she will be okay.

catmandu
09-07-2004, 09:24 AM
My friends at the Animal Welfare,sadly get this all the time! People,takevthings for granted,and that is sad,when it is one of Gods Creatures!

shais_mom
09-08-2004, 10:59 PM
GRRR
I hate people!!
Kudos to you tho Kelly and Ci Ci

smokey the elder
09-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Poor kitty! Make sure you contact the local shelters and let them know about these people, so they won't adopt again. I hope Ophelia starts to trust you.