PDA

View Full Version : Another Uppy-Date on the anemic lil' guy....

QueenScoopalot
09-06-2004, 05:08 PM
I found out from my friend Barbara who talked w/her sister after work today. Apparently this little kitten was out in the parking lot for THREE days! And then somehow got into the store for another almost two days. Terrified and traumatized...poor baby. :( :mad: The very good news however is that he is eating like a little piggy when I feed him his gruel through an oral syringe! :D He loves his mixture of baby food and KMR etc. He sucks it right down, and has gone through over a jar of baby food mixture already today. YAY! I can tell he'll get over this now. Poor little guy wanted to crawl up under my chin and snuggle afterward, but he's so disgustingly dirty and too frail still to bathe him just yet. Hopefully in a few more days I'll feel safer about giving him a much needed kitty bath. ;)

christa
09-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Sounds precious! I'm so glad he's got you now! You'll see that he gets healthy & strong!!!

Hope you can get him cleaned up soon . . . babies have gotta have those cuddles!!! :)

leslie
09-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Great news about his appetite! no more fluids sub q then right? he is doing ok on his own! so I am to assume no one in the store saw any others? Is Eve asking if anyone saw any other cats or kittens anywhere?

Laura's Babies
09-06-2004, 06:22 PM
I would have to let him snuggle and love all over him even he is was covered in poo poo... Water is cheap and I can take a bath! I just wouldn't be able to help myself..

So GLAD to hear he is eating like a pig! Poor baby! Was starving to death and now has a warm bed, food and LOVE!!

QueenScoopalot
09-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Oh no...another problem with the baby. His tongue doesn't seem to function at all! He willingly eats lots of food off the syringe but is incapable of cleaning his little mouth off like a normal kitty would do. :( Whatever that crud was lodged under his tongue, it sure caused a lot of damage. He is such a love bug too...and yes I do snuggle him but in a towel. Little dear wants to give me nose rubs and all. :) The fleas are dying right and left, and he had quite a few more than I expected. *sigh* what next? :confused:

leslie
09-06-2004, 07:07 PM
jan, bring him to NS tomorrow and tell them to bill you- we'll put it on my credit card. Has he peed or pooped? just do what you are doing, he seems comfortable right? We can raise funds later to cover the costs of this. you work tomorrow? PM me! I put this in the public eye because I want others to know that this is only one in a kizzilion emergancies jan goes through and cannot afford vet visits. Because I held this guy and 2 more gals were involved in his rescuing, and because he has made such a great turn around, he needs to be given the best! (they ALL do). I know Barbara will reach out to a certain shelter tomorrow for monetary help so am not worried about this bill. I wondered about his tongue, remember how interested he was in food but then would just lay back and sigh? you are doing a great job; thanks for letting us know how he is doing!

QueenScoopalot
09-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Leslie, I'm not sure they'll even know what to do in this case. :( I'm almost in tears because he's made such a tremendous turn-around in just 24 hours, and now this. I'll continue syringe feeding him of course, but he can't even wash his little face. It's so tragic. :( I have to work, and NSAH is bound to be chaos tomorrow (I was there on Sat. and they were having a tough time booking due to the holiday). He won't die from this now, so it's not critical to get him there tomorrow. There's only one vet I'd trust to even diagnose him (and I'm dubious about him as well). I'll see what the day's going to be like at the vets, and take it from there. I don't want a cursory glance, and a rushed out the door affair. :rolleyes:

carla and mike
09-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh great job Jan.I thought that looked like ransid old raw chicken in that picture of gunk you pulled from his mouth.
I'm so happy he's happy and very lucky to have you.:D

carla and mike
09-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Hopefully the tounge will start functioning in a couple days.
And hope it's temporary.Me and Mike will pray for that little guys life and movement in his touge.Mike felt terrible when he saw this thread.
But greatful your helping.

leslie
09-06-2004, 07:39 PM
well we could pull the old thing we did before. I do have to be in boston by 1030 though, no later. If youd rather go with a different vet, let me know. I just think NS is closer and gives you a bit of a some priority, am I wrong?

catnapper
09-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Poor little guy. I knew he sounded like a fighter.

I would think that the tongue thing is temporary due to the goo - is it raw and swollen at all? Is it possible that he has temporary nerve damage?

QueenScoopalot
09-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Poor little guy. I knew he sounded like a fighter.

I would think that the tongue thing is temporary due to the goo - is it raw and swollen at all? Is it possible that he has temporary nerve damage?

I'm hoping that his tongue be it muscle or nerves affected will regenerate fast. He is very young, so that's certainly in his favor. Sweetest disposition already purring away. he did poop tonight much to my relief, and boy was that as rotten as what was under his tongue. :eek: He ended up needing a partial bth when he managed to get poop all across his face, and all over his feet. Yuck. I sure wish I could have done a good soaping down, but he's not strong enough to do a complete bathing yet. Too stressful. His appetite is fantastic now that he's got me syringe feeding him all day long! :D

rg_girlca
09-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Aww poor sweet baby boy. After all he has been through and he is showing you how grateful he is that you rescued him. I'm so glad to hear how well he is eating, but so concerned about how his tongue is.

Jan, I noticed that Leslie has a vet closer and would be able to see him tomorrow with the help of her credit card. I don't mean to step on any toes, but wouldn't it be better to get him seen by a vet as soon as possible.

Still praying that this little guy is going to be okay.

kimlovescats
09-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Praying for this precious and pitiful baby boy. :( Maybe there was bone in whatever he had lodged in his mouth, and that is what pierced his little chin. :confused:

jazzcat
09-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Praying for this precious and pitiful baby boy. :( Maybe there was bone in whatever he had lodged in his mouth, and that is what pierced his little chin. :confused:
That's what I was thinking, that whatever was in that stuff caused the hole in his chin and maybe he has some nerve damage from it or something similar. Poor little guy. Continued prayers for him.

trayi52
09-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Just read the first post on this precious baby. I am hoping his tongue problem is only temporary.

I wonder how old this little fellow is, Jan? He just looks so pitiful in the pictures. Bless his sweet little heart. I know you will do everything possible, if he is to be saved, I know you are the one to do it, Jan. You do work wonders!

Sending prayers to the sweet little fellow and to you and Leslie.

Willie

kt_luvs_kitties
09-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Oh what a sweet little baby! I feel so bad. But I am glad you are such a caring person to try so hard to help this baby when NOONE else would. He deserves it. Thank you Thank you Thank you for all that you do. And I hope his little mouth gets better soon, as I will be praying for him. Good luck with this kitten and I hope all goes well at the vets. :D

aly
09-07-2004, 01:33 AM
Many prayers are still coming from me for this sweet boy. I really really hope that he can recover from this :(

At least he now knows what love is. The poor little guy has already gone through way too much in his short life.

catcrazylady
09-07-2004, 05:48 AM
He is a heartbreaker. Bless his heart! Prayers are flying from here that whatever is wrong with his tongue will be temporary. Thank God he can at least swallow.
If worse comes to worse I'm sure there is someone who would be willing to take him and syringe feed him and bathe him. Hopefully, maybe?
Keep us posted Jan.

QueenScoopalot
09-07-2004, 06:36 AM
Thanks for all the prayers PTrs, and certainly don't stop yet! His tentative name is "Lil' Bit", as he's just a lil' bit of a thing. ;) He ate well again this morning and can't seem to get enough food. Poor baby was trying so hard to lick up spilled baby food off the bathroom floor, but couldn't. So heartbreaking. :( He purrs non-stop now, and is showing a tiny bit of pinkness on his nosepad. I know it's a long road to recover from such severe anemia, and I'm doing everything the vets would probably have me do from this end. I'd love to be able to take him to the $$$ exclusive Feline Hospital where I'm sure his treatment would be examined closely, as opposed to my local overstressed "check and charge" locals.:rolleyes: He really should be combo tested, but I'm not sure the readings would be accurate when he's so anemic. That would be the most logical first step anyway. Placing an FeLV+ kitten wouldn't be easy, but it's not impossible. And then there's the additional problem of that hole in his chin. Though it isn't huge, it may be enough for the vets to say quarantine for six months. I'd have to do so if it got down to that, but I'm hoping and praying it's related to the glob of debris under his tongue. Such a dear little baby too, and he has to endure all this. :(

rosethecopycat
09-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Praying for your sweet baby.

He sure didn't deserve these troubles.

So happy he's got you to cuddle with. It must be like heaven for him.

Thanks for the work you do.

Rose

catmandu
09-07-2004, 08:56 AM
We are praying,for that poor Little,one,that the help,that you are giving him,will help him,to be a Healthy Cat! Bless You,the Found Cats have another HERO!

Laura's Babies
09-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I know this sounds a bit "dangerous" but what about trying to massage his tongue a little bit to see if you can help stimualte the nerves in it. I wish you could get off to a vet and see what they say before you get to much more attached to him..

I don't see where having to hand feed a cat or cleaning one would be that much of a problem and I am sure there are more out there that feel that way too....IF he never gets the use of his tongue back, but I would be wanting to see what a vet said about about one with no use of it and the problems related to it...

I just can not believe it survived with all that gook in it's mouth and hole in it's chin. He sure is a little fighter, he fought to stay alive until you came along to help him.. Thank GOD you did!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-07-2004, 11:24 AM
More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. I know he's a fighter so this is a big plus.:)