PDA

View Full Version : Cuddle...without biting?

MariaM
09-05-2004, 01:16 AM
When we first got Major, I couldn't stand, and lean over towards him, because he would jump up and bite my nose. Sitting next to him was out of the question - he'd full fledge attack! (not meaning to hurt though) Now I can sit next to him and he's great. But he doesn't like to cuddle, at all, and I think that may be due to the fact that I discouraged it - accidentaly. When ever I sat down, and he jumped on my back, I'd get up and leave. Maybe he thought he can't get too close to me?

Well anyway, I'm sitting there, and he's fine. As soon as I lie down though, he attacks! He pulls my sweater, eats my hair (tries to), lick/nips my face and just goes all over me. How can I teach him not to do that, but still know that he can snuggle up to me?

manda99
09-05-2004, 03:15 AM
i used time outs.
if smokey got too pushy or nipped at me - i'd put him in his kennel & ignore him for a minute, then let him out and try again. pretty soon he learned "ok, mom wants to cuddle but she ignores me when i i get too rough..."

just one suggestion...

good luck :)

K9soul
09-05-2004, 10:34 AM
I don't think you really discouraged it, jumping on your back shouldn't be acceptable so I think you did the right thing by getting up. A lot of dogs aren't as cuddly when they are puppies, they are more interested in play and romping. Of the 4 dogs I've had, 3 got more cuddly after they got older, after age 3 and even more around age 5. Tommy is the exception, having always been an incredibly cuddly dog. Willie was never as cuddly as Cody, he'd lay by me, get his cuddles, and when he was satisfied he'd go lay in one of his sleeping spots.

If you'd like to encourage cuddliness, perhaps keep some little treat tidbits on you, and then when he sits or lays quietly by you just letting you pet him, slip him a treat, eventually him learning that sitting/laying quietly is good behavior.