PDA

View Full Version : Treats

catnapper
09-04-2004, 07:34 PM
I see that everyone has a different way of giving treats... how do you do it?

I give them one at a time, and hand feed them to my boys (and a few to Nicki too.. she's an honorary cat when treats are being divvied out :rolleyes: ) We give treats every night around bedtime.

sirrahbed
09-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Bedtime here also - but nobody will take them from our hand! We have to put the treats down and pet them while them eat. We usually give everyone 2-3 pieces each:D

catnapper
09-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Rut-roh... 2-3 pieces each? :eek: I'm way over-treating my boys (gee, though would that be a surprise?) I have been given them Hairball Control Temptations, and believe it or not, its been WORKING. The bag says 10 pieces a day... so usually I'll give them to Pouncer 5 at a time twice a day since he's the hairball king. 5 after his afternoon nap and another 5 before bed. Allen just gets 5 sicne he's not hairball dude.

sirrahbed
09-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
I have been given them Hairball Control Temptations, and believe it or not, its been WORKING.
You are not over treating Kim - you are medicating :D

Laura's Babies
09-04-2004, 08:09 PM
How do you get the others to wait while you hand feed them? I can't give them out fast enough as it is!!! I give them each 2 but Amy always gets more... They are a MUST when medicating them or getting the soft paws on Giz... Got some more soft paws today and going to try them on Samantha.. Wish me luck!

Pam
09-04-2004, 08:12 PM
No treats any more for my boys. Since Trevor's diabetes diagnosis last summer he is on a special diet. Not wanting to upset him, I dare not give Andy any treats either. I feel badly but that's the way it has to be. :(

kuhio98
09-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Well, I had to vote Never because somehow I ended up with 3 kitties who don't like treats. :eek: Cammie used to be interested in Temptations, but I gave up buying them after throwing away rock-hard, dried out, treats day after day. (Yes, I tried different flavors) and even tried Friskies and several other brands. My kitties just don't see what the big fuss is all about. Kuhio, my rainbow bridge kitty, couldn't get enough treats. :D

christa
09-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Josie tells me when she wants a treat. About 2-3 times a day, she'll run up to me and start meowing and talking to me . . . then she runs over to the fridge (the treats are on top of the fridge) . . . and she meows as she looks up there . . . she knows where her treats are and she knows when she wants one! I also give her the hairball treats and they seem to be working. But she likes a variety of soft & crunchy! :)

Craftlady
09-04-2004, 09:20 PM
RB Butterscotch loved treats. He was my treat eater :)
Thumper doesn't like treats.
Skinny has a senative tummy and I don't give him treats.
Since we don't buy treats anymore, I don't know if Eleanor likes or dislikes.

DJFyrewolf36
09-04-2004, 11:19 PM
I just got Remus some salmon treats from the Pet Pantry (all natural pet foods) and boy is that cat happy! I just throw one and he chases it and pounces, its sooo cute! I give him treats when he's been a good boy (him not being naw-tee happens very little lol)

jenluckenbach
09-05-2004, 05:04 AM
I voted OTHER, because my answer would be RARELY. The cats are lucky to get treats once a month. When they do, I sit on the floor and quickly place a single treat on the floor in front of each cat. Then I do it again. after I am certain that everybody who wants one has had at least one, I spread the rest of the bag on the floor and let them go at it while hand feeding the slower cats off to the side.

sirrahved
09-05-2004, 05:35 AM
Marsh gets treats if we have them in the house... a few at a time, and a bottle usually lasts a month or two (if Muffin doesn't chew it open!)

bluekat
09-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I hand feed them to Blueberry. I only give him a few after grooming, or clipping his nails, and when we go out. Usually about 5 pieces each time:p

nibblets
09-05-2004, 10:42 AM
I had to pick never because Julie is not a treat kind of kitty. She is totally not interested in anything other than her dry food.

catmandu
09-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Much,to the chagrin,of the Found Cats,I have stopped buying Treats,as they are just too pricey! I am substituting,the New Nutro Classics dry Food,Roast Chicken Senior,and with JJJ3,it is an uphill struggle!

Grace
09-05-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm one of the never people. Our cats have never been interested in the pre-packaged treats. I'm assuming that's what this is about??

Now if you're talking cheese and shrimp, my response would be totally different!!

lizzielou742
09-22-2004, 02:17 PM
I missed this thread, but found it and decided to answer anyway! :D Tito and Sophie are lucky if they get one treat each, two to four times a week. (Unless someone goes to the vet or gets stepped on and Meowmie feels guilty.) Usually a small treat too - a Temptation (Tito's favorite) or a Pit'r Pat (Sophie's favorite). I have never fed them table scraps. AND they only get 1/2 cup of food each a day. AND Tito's on diet food.

And they are both still pudgy WHY??

Do cats store food, like a bear getting ready to go into hibernation? :rolleyes: ;)

Barbara
09-22-2004, 02:21 PM
At bedtime (my bedtime, not their bedtime:D ) and handfed pieces. I love that little ritual in the evening:)

Randi
09-22-2004, 03:20 PM
When I cook fish, or when we have shrimps for lunch, Fister usually get a few pieces, and when I'm going to get some chocolade for us, while watching TV, I always bring the treats bag for Fister. ;) - Usually chicken sticks, which he loves to lick like a lollypop before he eats them. :D

Uabassoon
09-22-2004, 03:22 PM
My cats usually get treats 3 or 4 times a week. Corkscrew will get 2 treats and Tibby gets one. When I go out of town I have the pet sitter give them treats every day and then Corkscrew will get 3 treats and Tibby gets 2.

RICHARD
09-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Whenever I crinkle any kind of package I instantly have a shadow...

I then have to go to the treat dish and pretend i am spilling treats into it.:rolleyes:

Tonya
09-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Pretty much never. They're picky eaters, so they don't eat anything that I give them. Everyonce in a while I'll treat them to wet food, but that's about it.

ActionCat007
09-22-2004, 06:12 PM
I give Katie and Simba a bit of canned food (Nine Lives) in the morning for a treat.

NoahsMommy
09-22-2004, 09:26 PM
My cats get treats occasionally. Usually after I traumatize them with nail clipping or medication.

I'm so afraid to make them overweight, that's so horribly unhealthy for kitties.

I guess we give "love" treats most often. They seem to like that better anyway. :)