PDA

View Full Version : Question for Catholics

dukedogsmom
09-04-2004, 05:31 PM
I didn't know where to ask this and haven't wanted to ask anyone in person. I am Baptist. I found a Rosary I really liked a few years ago and I made it into a necklace. Now, I haven't worn it much because I got to thinking that maybe the Catholic people would be insulted and consider it sort of blasphemous. Can anyone tell me what they think? I don't want to upset anyone. I would like to wear it more often but haven't because I really didn't know.

sirrahbed
09-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Very good question! I also have my mother's rosary and it is very beautiful - sterling silver. She died in 2001. I read about how the rosary is prayed here (http://www.catholic.net/RCC/Indices/Inspirations/rosary.html) and it is very interesting. I am a Lutheran Christian and do not use repetitive prayer but still found the explanation of interest. I have never considered wearing it as a necklace but would also like to know if this would be considered offensive.

the gryphon
09-04-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm an atheist, so I don't have an opinion, nor knowledge on the subject. But...food for thought. If I wore a Christian cross as ornamental jewelry would it be considered offensive?

If a non-jew wears a star of david as jewelry?

Not trying to start a fight, just trying to offer up more context. (and I dont know what the answer is to the questions I just asked :D )

sirrahved
09-04-2004, 07:30 PM
If I saw someone wearing a rosary, I'd assume they were Catholic. If I saw someone wearing a cross or crucifix I would assume they were Christian. If I saw someone wearing a star of David, I'd assume they were Jewish.

You said you altered the rosary... how did you do that? Can you still tell it's a rosary? Or does it look like a necklace? Either way... I can't see anyone getting offended.

Soledad
09-04-2004, 07:32 PM
As a former Catholic, yes it is considered blasphemous to wear a rosary as a necklace. So if you are concerned about offending Catholics you should know that wearing it as jewelry is considered demeaning to its true purpose.

the gryphon
09-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved
If I saw someone wearing a rosary, I'd assume they were Catholic. If I saw someone wearing a cross or crucifix I would assume they were Christian. If I saw someone wearing a star of David, I'd assume they were Jewish.

You said you altered the rosary... how did you do that? Can you still tell it's a rosary? Or does it look like a necklace? Either way... I can't see anyone getting offended.

If you knew me to be an atheist would your opinion be different if you saw me wearing a cross? I think this is an important distinction.

dukedogsmom
09-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I didn't alter it at all. I just hooked it together with the wire loops that are with the beads. Gryphon, I, myself, wouldn't be upset.

CathyBogart
09-04-2004, 07:42 PM
I can't offer any insight really....but I see a lot of people wearing pentacles and it doesn't really bother me, even if I know the person isn't pagan. :)

sirrahbed
09-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
As a former Catholic, yes it is considered blasphemous to wear a rosary as a necklace. So if you are concerned about offending Catholics you should know that wearing it as jewelry is considered demeaning to its true purpose.

I think Soledad has made the real distinction here. The cross, crucifix, pentacle, star of David, etc are often used as jewelry. The rosary is NOT jewelry - it is a special object used for prayer. I suspected that it would never be used as jewelry - even though it does appear to be something like a necklace with the circular design and beads.

dukedogsmom
09-04-2004, 09:15 PM
I did a search for Rosaries as necklaces and found a few sites. This is just one of them. http://www.marysprayersrosaries.com/category.asp?CatID=68
So according to these sites, it's ok. Now I'm confused.

Soledad
09-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Dukedogsmom, since that site is selling rosary necklaces, I wouldn't take them to be a good source on whether or not it's okay since they profit from it being so.

That said, those necklaces on the site look similar to rosaries but they do not look exactly like one. I'm not sure what the protocol would be for that.

I have to say that the few times I've seen people wear rosaries as necklaces I've found it to just look really dumb as though they didn't understand what they were for.

moosmom
09-04-2004, 11:30 PM
I have a set of rosary that belonged to my grandmother. They were imported from italy and have beautiful crystals on them. I have very fond memories of her praying with them in church every Sunday. I never thought of wearing them as a necklace. So I keep them in a special box. I feel it's kind of a waste since they have such sentimental meaning to me. I'd LIKE to wear them but not sure if it is appropriate. They are very beautiful and I think that keeping them stored defeats the purpose.

Soledad
09-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Moosmom, you could restring them into a regular necklace. That way you'd have a bit of your grandmother with you always.

RICHARD
09-05-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I didn't know where to ask this and haven't wanted to ask anyone in person. I am Baptist. I found a Rosary I really liked a few years ago and I made it into a necklace. Now, I haven't worn it much because I got to thinking that maybe the Catholic people would be insulted and consider it sort of blasphemous.

wear it.

you are not desecrating it, not are you using it in a demeaning way.
People find beauty in things all the time.

As a sometime motorcycle rider I see people who use the old 'coal scuttle' WWII german style helmets to get around the
helmet laws her in California....does it bother me? Yes......but who am I to tell someone how to dress?

sirrahbed
09-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
I have a set of rosary that belonged to my grandmother. They were imported from italy and have beautiful crystals on them. I have very fond memories of her praying with them in church every Sunday. I never thought of wearing them as a necklace. So I keep them in a special box. I feel it's kind of a waste since they have such sentimental meaning to me. I'd LIKE to wear them but not sure if it is appropriate. They are very beautiful and I think that keeping them stored defeats the purpose.

I guess I am where you are Moosmom, having my mom's rosary. It is gorgeous! Sterling silver and just exquisite. So, I have it displayed on a lace handkerchief and draped over the leather box that she kept it in. Could you find some similar way to display them? Maybe drape them over a picture? I just do not feel right wearing them, because it is NOT a necklace. You know? Kinda like wearing a flag or something. The rosary was never intended to be worn - that is just my thinking.

Soledad: your restringing idea - that might work for moosmom with the pretty crystals - but mine are not strung - they are hooked together at the medals with little hooks and latches. I just would not want to use just the beads anyway - I love the whole rosary with cross, chain, medals, etc. Good idea though!

Soledad
09-05-2004, 08:56 AM
I just do not feel right wearing them, because it is NOT a necklace. You know? Kinda like wearing a flag or something. The rosary was never intended to be worn - that is just my thinking.

That's a great analogy.

I, too, have created a little shrine like corner with my mother's rosary. I think it's beautiful.

chocolatepuppy
09-05-2004, 11:29 AM
As a Catholic I will tell you the rosary was not meant to be worn. Maybe some of the suggestions the others gave will be helpful as to what you could do with it. :)

moosmom
09-05-2004, 04:31 PM
My Nanny's rosary are also linked together by metal loops. I actually keep them in a box with my cat Casey's (RB 2002)ashes. I wear a gold cross around my neck right now that I never take off. I just don't if I want to restring them and wear them. I sort of like them in their original condition. BTW, I also have her prayer book that she used to take to church with her EVERY Sunday, along with me :).

Tonya
09-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I am not Catholic, so I don't really have an answer. But I just wanted to tell you that I've read this thread a few times thinking it said "Question for Cataholic". I was wondering why she knew so much about rosaries and why she hadn't answered yet. lol.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I've read this thread a few times thinking it said "Question for Cataholic". I was wondering why she knew so much about rosaries and why she hadn't answered yet. lol.

LOL! So did I! :o

tatsxxx11
09-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Me too:o I'm not Catholic (or Cataholic;)) so I'm not one qualified, I suppose, to comment on the question. But my gut feeling is that if whatever you choose to do is decided upon with love and respect, I believe God would approve. Perhaps you could wear it in rememberance of someone you held dear to your heart.

Soledad
09-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
But my gut feeling is that if whatever you choose to do is decided upon with love and respect, I believe God would approve. Perhaps you could wear it in rememberance of someone you held dear to your heart.

Definitely! But would other Catholics approve?:p

Moosmom, I think that if anyone had a problem with you wearing that rosary in honor of your Nanny they'd certainly have to take a good look at what's important in life.

RICHARD
09-06-2004, 12:42 AM
I'll toss in the x factor.....

A rosary is merely a symbol of and it's not considered a 'religious symbol' until it's blessed by a priest...

Like the communion wafer and wine in the religious service, it's
merely 'ordinary' until the priest gets his hands on it.

Rachel
09-06-2004, 06:18 AM
The question was asked and from the answers, if this were my dilemma, I think I would chose not to wear it in public. I really like the idea of displaying it repectfully in your home.

tatsxxx11
09-06-2004, 08:21 AM
After some thought, I've reconsidered...Keep it safe and treasure it:)

Barbara
09-06-2004, 09:34 AM
I am brought up catholic and I agree to everything Soledad said: if you care about what a faithful catholic thinks you shouldn't wear it- it would be offensive. And the comparison with wearing a flag seems a good one for me:)

Cataholic
09-06-2004, 01:05 PM
LOL...I was thinking, "why would questions for me be in the dog house?" Then, I saw the questions being asked, and I was like, "Why would someone ask me (a non-cath) about rosarys?".
Finally, I stopped thinking of ONLY myself, and figured the whole thing out.

Now that I am "with it"...I agree with Soledad...he he he. And, since she is catholic (and would like to be cataholic, too), I figure it is a safe bet.

Edwina's Secretary
09-06-2004, 01:18 PM
I too was raised Catholic. When I see Madonna or the like wearing a rosary as jewelry I cringe. Like if I wore a yamulke (Jewish skull cap) as fashion.

Recently a friend of mine told me of a Carmelite Convent here (Carmelites are a cloistered order.) She had taken roses from her mother's funeral and the nuns make rosary beads from the rose petals. So rosaries can be very personal.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
LOL! So did I! :o

Ditto! :D :o

I don't know much about religion because I really choose not to have a religion... we go to church about once a year if we're lucky...

gini
09-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I too, think it would be a sign of disrespect. People would assume that you were completely unaware of the religious significance of a rosary - and would wonder why.

It just isn't a piece of jewelry - no matter how beautifully they are made.

popcornbird
09-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
LOL...I was thinking, "why would questions for me be in the dog house?" Then, I saw the questions being asked, and I was like, "Why would someone ask me (a non-cath) about rosarys?".
Finally, I stopped thinking of ONLY myself, and figured the whole thing out.

Now that I am "with it"...I agree with Soledad...he he he. And, since she is catholic (and would like to be cataholic, too), I figure it is a safe bet.

When I first saw the thread, I thought it said Cataholic too. :o Then, I realized, it said Catholic. :p We have this Catholic church not far from where we live, and whenever I pass by it, I read Cataholic instead of Catholic. He he he!

I don't even know what a rosary is :o, so I have no idea how I feel about wearing it as jewelry. What is a rosary? :p

leslie
09-06-2004, 05:57 PM
popcorn- GREAT question! We all know what they look like! But what is the significance? The town I grew up in was not Catholic.. then I move to Boston and I see these girls in plaid skirts and white shirts and i am "what is this?" (But also thinking uniforms are a good thing for teens...). Anyway, slowly learned HOW Catholic it is in Boston!!!! OH MY! And yet I know little still...
Anyone want to enlighten us as to the significance? or show a pic for those who don't know what a rosary looks like?

Karen
09-06-2004, 05:59 PM
A rosary is a traditional string of "beads" - often made from rose petals - which helps people recite the prayer by that name. See here (http://www.success.org/Catholic/c4.shtml) for more information and more links about the Rosary.

Here's one example image

http://www.navajoworld.com/navajo/rosarylargeview.jpg

Edwina's Secretary
09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
A rosary is prayer beads. A loop of what are called decades (ten) beads -- separated by a single bead. Then there is a crucifix hanging from a medallin and a series of one bead, three beads, one bead. There is a specific prayer for each bead. Most of the prayers are to the Virgin Mary.

We cannot post pictures in the Dog House but there are lots on line.

That's about the best I can do!

popcornbird
09-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Karen
A rosary is a traditional string of "beads" - often made from rose petals - which helps people recite the prayer by that name. See here (http://www.success.org/Catholic/c4.shtml) for more information and more links about the Rosary.

Here's one example image

http://www.navajoworld.com/navajo/rosarylargeview.jpg

OMG!!! That is soooo interesting.....mainly because we (Muslims) also use prayer beads, that look very, very similar to those.

Our prayer beads usually have 99 beads strung together, with 1 big bead at the end (with strings attached to it). Its mainly used to keep count of the phrases you use when praying/supplicating to God, etc. I *think* it has 99 beads and 1 main one, because Muslims have 99 names for God. They're actually 100 including *Allah*, but that is the main name. The other 99 are names that basically describe God. For example, The Merciful, The Compassionate, The Forgiver.....etc... Here's a list of them all... http://www.dawateislami.net/general/devotions/99names/

The beads we use have no significance though.....and they're not considered holy, or anything. People mainly use them to keep count when saying prayers. I have several, but honestly never use them. I can't imagine wearing one. Though they are not holy to us and just used to keep count when supplicating, I just don't think there's a point in wearing it....even though it *looks* like a necklace. Its not something that's made to wear.

Do Catholics consider rosaries holy? If so, I think it might offend them to see someone wear it....especially if its not something that's meant to be worn.

Very interesting to know this. I had no idea.

leslie
09-06-2004, 07:20 PM
oh you are muslim! That is so interesting! Do you find the Catholic religion strange at all? (I am not affiliated so don't be afraid of insulting me- I find it interesting, I love learning about everyone's beliefs and cultures!)

Soledad
09-06-2004, 07:41 PM
What do you mean by holy, Pops?

I don't know that they're thought of as pieces of God or anything, but since they are affiliated with God, the Catholic church and prayer they are deemed to be valuable and worthy of a certain degree of respect and protocol.

Just like with the flag. We don't worship a flag, but it is a symbol of our country so we have certain rules about how it should be treated.

But it's not like the Orthodox Church who consider icons (paintings of Christ and the Madonna) to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I don't think that they're meant to be seen as an actual piece of God, but a tool that brings you closer to Him.

Does that make any sense?

popcornbird
09-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by leslie
oh you are muslim! That is so interesting! Do you find the Catholic religion strange at all? (I am not affiliated so don't be afraid of insulting me- I find it interesting, I love learning about everyone's beliefs and cultures!)

Yep, I'm Muslim. :) As to whether or not I find the Catholic religion *strange*, I must say, I honestly don't know how to answer your question. :o I mean....I don't understand what you exactly mean by *strange*?

What do you mean by holy, Pops?

I don't know that they're thought of as pieces of God or anything, but since they are affiliated with God, the Catholic church and prayer they are deemed to be valuable and worthy of a certain degree of respect and protocol.

Just like with the flag. We don't worship a flag, but it is a symbol of our country so we have certain rules about how it should be treated.

But it's not like the Orthodox Church who consider icons (paintings of Christ and the Madonna) to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I don't think that they're meant to be seen as an actual piece of God, but a tool that brings you closer to Him.

Does that make any sense?

See, the beads *WE* use, have no value or significance at all. Something *Holy* is basically something belonging to, derived from, or associated with God. We don't consider or value the prayer beads we use as such. They really have no more significance than a rock or any other item. We use them basically as a tool to keep count of supplications and prayers.......basically, but you can also use rocks, marbles, your fingers, whatever for that. That is what I meant by us not considering the beads we use as *holy*. They are just mere objects, that are USED for prayer, but not associated with prayer at all. They are just used to keep count.

So when I asked if Catholics think of rosaries as *holy*, I meant do they value it as a religious, holy item, that needs to be respected, etc.? We don't view the prayer beads we use as such. It wouldn't offend me if someone wore the prayer beads we use as a necklace, but I would find it strange and silly, as it is something not meant to be worn. I would think it might offend Catholics if someone wore a rosary, if they consider them sacred. That is what I meant.

And whether sacred or not, I personally don't see *prayer beads* as something anyone would wear, as beautiful as they may be. :confused:

RICHARD
09-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by leslie
I move to Boston and I see these girls in plaid skirts and white shirts and i am "what is this?"

It's a guy thing. :confused: You wouldn't understand
;)
----------------------------------------------

I remember the Sister Mary Torquemada used her super giant rosary as a belt for her habit.....

The cross on the end was great motivator. She could whip that thing like a nunchuku, I suppose that's not what it was intended
for- but who is going to argue with a sister?

------------------------------------------------
I'd much rather see someone like Madonna or that Aguilera chick wear a rosary or cross than to see someone who is a 'casual'
Catholic getting bent out of shape over it. You know who Madonna and CA are and the farce behind them.

As a former altar boy I served mass on 'holy days' and it was standing room only.

On Easter while assisting the priest, I would look down the line of people waiting for communion and wonder where they were on a Sunday in July.

I guess I'm one of those trusting souls that wouldn't immediately jump to any conclusion about a rosary being worn as a necklace, I'd be more worried about the decolletage'.

Edwina's Secretary
09-07-2004, 12:57 PM
I'd much rather see someone like Madonna or that Aguilera chick wear a rosary or cross than to see someone who is a 'casual'
Catholic getting bent out of shape over it.

I see your point Richard, is there anything more offensive than someone who doesn't like to see other people's beliefs or customs mocked and belittled??????

RICHARD
09-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I see your point Richard, is there anything more offensive than someone who doesn't like to see other people's beliefs or customs mocked and belittled??????

Like who?

lizbud
09-07-2004, 01:18 PM
I was raised as a Catholic & attended Catholic schools all
of my life. (Grade school through College)

When I was a child ,our rosaries were blessed by the priest
or bishop (on certain occasions). As a blessed article of faith,
the rosary was treasured & treated with reverence.

dukedogsmom
09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Richard: your pm box is full!

lizzielou742
09-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I am not Catholic, but I just wanted to say that this is an interesting thread! Let us know what you decide to do, dukedogsmom, if you feel comfortable sharing it. :)

chocolatepuppy
09-07-2004, 03:37 PM
I go to church all year and would prefer not to see someone wearing a rosary. I believe in respecting someone else's religion.

RICHARD
09-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Well,

DDM, I respect your question as to the use of a rosary as a necklace.....I know that some people from Mexico are going to have quite a bit of 'splaining to do when they go to heaven.

It's kind of tough to tell some poor 'bracero' (farm worker) that they are committing a sin by carrying their faith around their neck.

And what is faith?

Is faith the same thing that drove Junipero Serra up the coast of California trying to convert the indigenous indians to the Catholic faith? Is it the Crusades back in the Middle Ages? Kicking some Muslims around to take over some turf?

The Roman Catholic Church professes to be a religion of love, understanding and peace-and the followers follow the same doctrine-that coupled with a good first amendment right should guarantee a person's freedom of speech and the freedom to
inquire or pursue something that they feel they want to find out about.

And we, as good catholics and citizens should respect that desire.

I seriously doubt any of us are going to walk up to someone with a rosary around their neck and ask them their religious affliation and then castigate them for wearing a rosary in that manner.....

While it may not be the original use of a rosary, I admire anyone who has an interest in another religion and has the desire to find out more about it's artifacts and objects.

Wearing a cross, Star of David, Yarmulke, headdress is no one's business why you choose to wear it.

Of course, I grew up among a bunch of Mexicans who loved their religion so much that some would even go get the Virgin of Guadalupe tattooed on their bodies.

Again, who am I to question their faith or the reason why they want a religious icon needled into their skin?

dukedogsmom
09-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Very interesting, Richard. I didn't know a lot of that. I can see if I was wearing it disrespectfully, such as in a bar or something like that. But, I would not even consider that. I saw a hispanic man at a business wearing one as a necklace, also.

RICHARD
09-07-2004, 05:44 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/mt/Charmed/tattoos.html

http://www.geocities.com/onebadkitten/tatpageEternalArt

Since we are delving into the mysteries of Catholocism-
:cool:

Let me know when you see your first Virgin Tattoo..

;)

Soledad
09-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Oooh, I love Catholic tattoos. If forced at gunpoint to get a tattoo, I think I'd get the immaculate heart.

I think there's a difference between being respectful to the Catholic religion and committing a sin/angering God. I would never argue that God is looking down on us and trying to see who's defiling rosaries by wearing them as necklaces, but I would argue that there are many Catholics who would be offended by the sight of seeing someone wearing one.

Whether or not you choose to care about their feelings on the matter is totally up to you.

dukedogsmom
09-07-2004, 06:58 PM
I really find it hard to believe that God would actually be angered by someone wearing a Rosary. That is really a bit much. Yes, if they were desecrating it. But wearing it out of respect, no.

chocolatepuppy
09-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Oooh, I love Catholic tattoos. If forced at gunpoint to get a tattoo, I think I'd get the immaculate heart.

I think there's a difference between being respectful to the Catholic religion and committing a sin/angering God. I would never argue that God is looking down on us and trying to see who's defiling rosaries by wearing them as necklaces, but I would argue that there are many Catholics who would be offended by the sight of seeing someone wearing one.

Whether or not you choose to care about their feelings on the matter is totally up to you.

Well said!

RICHARD
09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
I would argue that there are many Catholics who would be offended by the sight of seeing someone wearing one.

Actually we shouldn't give a flying handshake about what and who sins here on earth..

It's not a matter of me caring about their feelings, as a recovering Catholic I was taught that God would take care of any loose ends in the Afterlife...

IT'S NOT my job to enforce the rules of the religion. If it bothers me THAT much I'll say something about it and go on.

In a land of religious freedom, I find it strange that people are
fighting over RELIGION.

Too many years have been spent by men fighting over who's God is bigger, places of worship and religious icons.

It reminds me of a little town called Jerusalem and three religions who wont budge an inch in the interest of creating any kind of harmony in that area of the planet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

MATTHEW 7:1-5:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull the mote out of thine eye; and behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother's eye."

Soledad
09-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Yes, there's freedom of religion. Which is why you are free to choose your religion. But that has nothing to do with wearing a rosary as necklace which is more in the realm of social faux pas/etiquette and has nothing to do with law, judgments or sins.

What are you raging against now? Or am I totally misreading you? Seems like we're agreeing rather than disagreeing.

People asked what Catholics think of rosary wearing, I answered according to the Catholic church (since I once was a member, and quite a regular one, thank you!). They didn't ask if they would be jailed, heckled or sent to hell...

chocolatepuppy
09-07-2004, 07:26 PM
I don't think anyone would be sent to hell for wearing a rosary. And I try not to judge anyone. I simply said I would rather not see someone wearing one.

RICHARD
09-07-2004, 07:33 PM

What are you raging against now? Or am I totally misreading you? Seems like we're agreeing rather than disagreeing.

I am upset that I have a knife sticking out of my forehead.

Suicide is again the religion, isn't it?
------------------------------------

I know I am going to hell. Why fight the obvious?

I'll have the first table, on the left, ready to greet my fellow sinners.
-------------------------------------
Trust me,
To get a tattoo just drink a whole bunch of liquor and go to the tattoo parlor, It alot safer than having a gun pointed at your head.......THAT"S DANGEROUS and a lot less fun.

carole
09-14-2004, 05:35 PM
I think I would choose not to wear it once I had found out as Soledad mentioned it would be offensive to the catholic faith, even though I am not religious, I respect other people's belief's.

Yes Richard no-one has the right to tell anyone how to or not to dress, but it all comes down to whether Dukesdogsmom feels right about wearing them, the fact that she took the time to ask, makes me think she does indeed care and respect the catholic belief.

It is really up to you Dukedogsmom as to whether you have a conscience about it or not, if you have no problem with it, then wear it, only you can decide.,but if it were me a definite NO.

pitc9
09-16-2004, 09:32 AM

I am Catholic, I have always been told you never wear a rosary as a necklace. Why? Who knows just another "Just because" from the Catholic church I guess.

I if saw someone wearing one, I would think they are not Catholic because a Catholic should know not to wear it as a necklace. I wouldn't be offended, it would just tell me that the person is not Catholic.