PDA

View Full Version : Keegan's White Coat Trip

shais_mom
09-04-2004, 02:37 PM
We went today to get Keegan's thyroid checked.
Good news and not so good news I suppose....
Her weight is down (Yeeeaaaa!) from 97 to 94.5. I asked about switching formulas and Dr. Debbie said that it is all pretty much the same so that won't work. I had a whole list of things to talk about - PARANOID MOMMA! Her ears were a bit red and I thought were kind of dirty. She has been scratching some, some scabby areas again. I thought maybe she had some fatty lumps on her back/rump area. But after Dr. Debbie took her back for bloodwork, she cleaned out her ears and looked down them and told me not to worry they weren't even that pink, and there was absolutely nothing in them!!! :o Dr. Debbie didn't feel any fat lumps so once again Mom is imagining things. She put her on antibiotic for a week.
Now the iffy part - her thyroid was over the limit. They want it b/n 2.5 and 5 and it was 7!!! So we are cutting that back (that's good b/c the 300 I paid almost $50 for will last longer then!) but she talked with Dr. Brad (owner of clinic) and they have decided to treat the weight problem more aggressively. I am supposed to go sometime and pick up some R/D formula and keep her on that for awile. Then check her weight. Does anyone have any thoughts about the R/D formula prescription diet. She said with coupons they have the first 10 lb bag is free.
I think the reason that I was so paranoid that next Monday Shaianne will be gone 3 years and for some reason I have always been one that thinks that history repeats itself which I know is Silly. So I always have a feeling of doom around Sept 11/13 time. :(

Does anyone have any thoughts about the food?
Wouldn't you know I just bought 35# of Chicken soup for the Senior soul and opened it!!! :(

aly
09-04-2004, 04:07 PM
I think most of the formulated diets are pretty good, but I've never tried R/D.

Its very understandable that you're worried around this time of year. I would be too, but try not to worry too much. I am sure Keegan will be just fine. I will light a candle for sweet Shaianne on the 13th.

shais_mom
09-05-2004, 09:24 AM
just bumping this up

Thanks for the encouragement Aly. :p

Albea
09-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Staci, when I found out that Carina had gained 8lbs over the winter, the vet also did a thyroid test. Since everything was normal, and the weight gain probably the result of too many treats and too little exercise, I cut back on her food and started to add green beans and carrots to her dinner. She loves it and has lost 4lbs.
You could ask your vet is that would be of some help, in addition to the food he recommended.
Please give Keegan a big hug from me.

KYS
09-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Glad that Keegan's appointment went well.
The first couple of years we had to cut back the dose
of Sheba's thyroid meds. You are a good mommy and sometimes
we notice things that others don't.

The vet sounds like she took a good look at Keegan.

I am sure she will do well on her diet.

cloverfdx
09-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Good girl Keegan, on losing some weight :). Sorry i dont know anything about the R/D food and that sucks you have just opened a new bag of food.

pitc9
09-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Silly Worried Mommy!!!:D

I don't have a clue about the food, The problem I have with my dog is that the can't keep weight on!!!:p

K9soul
09-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Staci, I don't know much about the special diets for thyroid problems out there. I do know a lot of people suffer from thyroid disease (including my Mom and Grandma) and it seems to be pretty well controlled in them with medication. I am not sure if the same meds are used in dogs as in people or not. I don't think you should let yourself be too worried though, I think you and the vet will be able to get it under control. It's great that she has already lost some weight! Good girl Keegie!

Cincy'sMom
09-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Staci, I have been debating trying Cincy on the R/D cause she just cannot loose weight. Even when she was onthe allergy diet and could nothingbut her food she was not losing. Maybe we can put the girls on a work out program together :)

micki76
09-05-2004, 11:26 PM
What is her ideal weight, Staci?

wolf_Q
09-05-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm glad that Keegan has made some progress with losing weight! I hope the new diet will help!

shais_mom
09-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by micki76
What is her ideal weight, Staci?

Around 85 pounds Micki, So just about 9 or so to go...

lovemyshiba
09-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Staci--
it's wonderful that Keegan has lost some weight--keep up the good work!!!!
I'm glad that everything you thought could be wrong was in your head:)

I will be thinking of you on the 13th, and will light a special candle for sweet Shaianne.

kimlovescats
09-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Hi Staci .... just wanted you to know that I am praying that Keegan gets her weight and thyroid levels under control. Please try not to worry yourself over the upcoming anniversary of your other baby's passing. I'm sure that Keegan will be just fine! ;)
Please do keep us updated, and forgive me that I don't get on this side of the boards often enough!

Hugs,
Kim;)

Cinder & Smoke
09-07-2004, 12:07 PM
;)

Ohhhhh, Keegan... we *feel* fur ya! :(

Dat *D I E T * thing is da PITz!

Kupla yearz ago, not too long aftur SmokeMutt showd up all
skinny an a lil *skrawnie* - Dad wuzint to fussie bout
"Kountin da Krunchies" - we boff got purdy "rounded" helpinz poured
outta da measunin kup, two mealz a day.

Smoke "bulked up" jest fine - Doc wuz happie hiz ribz dint show
so much - eben sed da boy hadda bit of FAT on hiz bonez!
Den *I* jumped onna elevatur tabul - da one wiffa "pounds dial" on it...
:eek: Sed ebberbuddie - "She's gettin FAT!!"

Oh DRAT! :(

Da bottom line wuz dat Doc Mike feels it izint so important WHAT ya feed -
az long az it's a GOOD FOOD - az it is HOW MUCH ya feed!

Doc thinks ALL the Dawg Food Makers "suggest" feeding at LEAST 10% MORE
than "most" dawgs need to be healthy!

And since we were both "gaining weight" - and had gone past what
either wunna us "needed" to be healthy...
A simple REDUCTION :eek: in the AMOUNT we were eating each day
should solve the weight GAIN problem.
Doc suggested a 10% reduction to start with -
WE tink Dad cut it more like in HALF;
but in about 6 months we'd both lost about 4-5 pounds - an
Doc Mike wuz a Happie Kampur!

Smoke's back to where ya can see hiz ribz when he taks a deep breath;
I kan't "show ribz" thru all my fluffie coat - but Dad CAN feel em again!

We still get *TREETz* (darn FEW of em :( ) - but we do get em!
Doc sez treetz like MiklBones are wholesome an help wiff keepin da
Toofiez shiney an white :) -
he sez ta stay away frum all da *fancie* "Designer Treetz" - they're
jest like CANDY is wiff Hoominz!

We alluz try ta make Dad *feel bad* when he dolez out da grub -
*Look* inna bowl; *Look* up at Dad (wiffa REEL SAD :( eyes);
*Look* back inna bowl; den give a reelee *DEEP* <sigh>; an start munchin.
An don't *buRRRp* when yur dun! ;)

:D