PDA

View Full Version : Something stupid has been bothering me

Tina
09-04-2004, 10:34 AM
My grandma was over yesterday and this morning she lives across the hill from me. We don't live real close together but close enough she can walk here.

Anyways she is always saying nice things about Ginger and Reggie. She really likes Reggie she calls her alittle basset hound.:)

When she seen Ember she was like I don't know about that dog. I'm not sure if she is going be pretty or not. How in the world can she say that. Ember is adorable little fuzz ball!

It is just because she is a black dog! I don't know why she doesn't like black dogs. She keeps asking me if she is the mean dog I wanted. I told her no. But I still don't think she believes me. Now she will be afraid of her because she is a black dog.:rolleyes:

The reason she asked me if Ember is the mean dog I wanted. She was giving me a hard time over when I had to give back Annie. She told me that I didn't need anymore dogs that I already had two. I told her "well I'll just get two mean dogs" I was just joking though.

Oh,well it still bugs me though that she will be afraid of Ember.:(

chocolatepuppy
09-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Awe that's terrible! Ember is so cute and I'm sure harmless! But yes lots of people think black dogs=mean. You'll just have to show grandma that's not true! :D

Amber
09-04-2004, 11:33 AM
thats crazy!

I love black dogs, (Can you tell? lol) I don't think the color of a dogs fur should make you afraid of them. But how could she be afraid of black hair dogs? It doesn't make sence to me.

MariaM
09-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Maybe just give her a little time? Show her in some way that Ember is really nice? My mom used to hate black dogs, and when we went to pick up Major, she was talking about the black one:p

Tina
09-04-2004, 12:29 PM
I hate to say it but I don't think she will ever listen.

I don't think she really cares for black animals..heck she doesn't really like my black kitty Gracie either.:rolleyes:

I guess for some reason she has something against black animals.:( :rolleyes:

4 Dog Mother
09-04-2004, 12:30 PM
I have heard that some people are afraid of black dogs - now if they knew Oreo I could see why but since she is black and white and sort of cute and little few people are. I guess I don't understand why. As with so many other things, it's silly to think color has anything to do with temperament. Ember is adorable and I am sure sweet too.

chocolatepuppy
09-04-2004, 12:33 PM
I suppose because black is 'suppose' to be the 'evil' color. I heard dogs that are black usually get PTS first at the kill shelters because they're less adoptable! Good thing I took Lacey home as she is mostly black! :eek:

Smilla
09-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Black dogs get a bad rap, I think. Someone used to refer to his bouts of depression as "black dog days"--can't remember who. And everyone knows what they say about black cats.

It might just be her generation. I think women of that generation have very definite ideas of beauty, and they trend toward the traditional. My grandmother says some weird things too. For example, once she referred to a woman as "too tall." (She was about 6 feet, yes, but I thought she looked great. I'd LOVE to be that tall!)

Karen
09-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Black dogs and cats are often adopted less often simply because they are harder to see in the dark cages in the shelter.

Some people have preconceived notions that simply need to be proven wrong. Wait until she sees what a sweet, polite, well-behaved doggie Ember will surely become. Given time, she may change her mind. Her life is poorer because of this bias.

Pam
09-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Well count me in as a fan of black dogs, and white dogs, and grey dogs and brown dogs, etc., etc., etc. You get the point. :) I wouldn't worry about your grandmom's comments. Sometimes the older folks have some pretty odd preconceived ideas. Just continue to love her and love Ember as well. I am sure she'll come around. :)

Amber
09-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Thats a shame.

I never knew black animals were less to be adopted...thats terrible. :(

I love my blackie doggies!

stacwase
09-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Gee. I have three mostly black dogs!

Where do people get these oddball ideas?

tatsxxx11
09-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Oh Tina:( Well, you put her words right out of your head, because you know better:) I know, it hurts, but people do come to the table with some silly preconceptions! I know from my work in rescue, that black dogs definitely get a bad rap! So many families with children that apply for a dog, state they will not adopt a black dog because the children are fearful of black dogs. I know that with time, Ember will turn her thinking around:) Extra hugs for you sweet Ember:)

Harmanie
09-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Ember is a doll! It is true that a lot of people think that any animal that is black is scary. I don't think so! Like someone said, Maybe there are ways you can show her that Ember is harmless. Or do you think that she is supersticiouse or however you spell that word.--sorry! lol

That could also be the reason. I know my mum hates black cats but she likes black dogs.
I don't know. But don't let yourself down. Its what you think that counts. Ember is in your home. So you look at her everyday. She so cute so don't worry about a thing. :) Maybe she will grow fond of her. and maybe she wont. but thats just how things are you know. Just don't let it get to you!
Smile....BE HAPPY! lol
hehe:p

ParNone
09-04-2004, 06:08 PM
It never occurred to me that people wouldn't want a black dog until I came here and heard others mention it. I dreamed of having a lil' black Cairn, like Toto. And there wasn't a person alive that Maddie didn't charm the pants off of. Her dark coloring didn't seem to put anybody off that I ever noticed. Lil' kids flocked to her. I think temperament can do a lot to sway people. So maybe Ember will change your grandmother's mind with her adorableness too.

Par...

KYS
09-04-2004, 07:09 PM
If I recall in the clip War Dogs, Didn't the black dogs that got left behind in Viet Nam killed because of superstition?

manda99
09-05-2004, 03:26 AM
You know, it's funny cuz I hear about that Black Dog thing , where they don't get adopted as often or people are more afraid... And I'm sitting here thinking - MAN, I WISH I had a black dog since I wear so much black! What was I thinking falling in love with a WHITE dog?! heehee

K9soul
09-05-2004, 10:17 AM
When I had Cody and Willie, people used to walk right up to Cody, but for Willie people often asked if he bites. I too think it is a leftover superstition from medeival days when a black dog or cat was bad luck or meant death or was a bad omen. Just like people still take note of the number 13 or Friday the 13th. I do think it is more of a subconscious thing though.

pitc9
09-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Oh Tina.... please don't pay any attention to what she said to you. It was just her opinion!!

Large Black dogs are always the last to be adopted at shelters!

Even with my pups... Sierra is mostly black and only weights 65 lbs. Buddy has little black and is 90lbs and will run and bark at people in our yard. But more people are afraid of Sierra!!!
They've even told me that her black face scares them!!:rolleyes: