PDA

View Full Version : "Make-Up" Gift Swap

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-04-2004, 01:25 AM
I would like to reach out to those people who got burned in this Gift Swap, and this seems like the easiest way to do it.

Can someone tell me if I am thinking along the right lines here, or just wasting my time:

How many people have NOT received their gifts yet? (And out of those, how many do Kay and Amy KNOW are DEFINATELY NOT going to receive? (Either by a PM saying that, or by the person dissapearing off the board and ignoring PMs?)

Could the following be a solution:

1. One person agrees to act as a "Post Box" for those who have not received. This person's address will then be PM'ed to those wishing to participate.
2. Either Kay or Amy gives us details of members who didn't receive, so their details can be PM éd to anyone participating in this "Make-Up Gift Swap".
3. Anyone who is willing to do so could send an envelope containing one or two small gifts, plus $1, to a central PT'er who is being the "Post Box". This person will then re-package the goodies/gifts and send to the PT'ers who didn't get anything. The $1 per person *should* cover USPS postage and new packaging. (if not then I am prepared to fork in a bit more). IF there is money left over it should be donated to a local animal charity.

The above being a success whould depend on the following:
1. One person volunteering to be our "Post Box" (I would do it if I was there, but I am not in the USA)
2. Enough people to volunteer to participate to make it worthwhile
3. A cut-off date - say end of September, at which point all packages received will be re-packed and shipped. Any packages received by the "Post Box"after that date will be donated to the nearest shelter.

What do you think?

I will co-ordinate the PM's for participation / address etc if you like.

**One final request**. Please keep replies to this thread on-topic - ie will you or won't you participate, and/or suggestions. There are enough threads already to use for a platform to "discuss" the non-sending of packages.;)

Thanks

Julie

jazzcat
09-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Julie - I think that is a very nice idea. I'd say it looks fairly certain that at least one person won't be getting anything but who knows about the rest. It would probably be a good idea to give it a until Sept. 16 (a month after the deadline) to officially call them 'No Shows' just in case some are stuck in slow mail.

I'll be happy to participate and will volunteer to be the "Post Box" if no one else does.

This sounds like a good way to remedy a very unfair situation.

dukedogsmom
09-04-2004, 08:26 AM
I mentioned something like that in the other thread. I think it's a good idea. Robin gave Duke a kong and two cans of flavored stuff. He won't play with it so I'd be happy to give it to someone who's dog would enjoy it. Robin said I could so she won't be offended.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat
It would probably be a good idea to give it a until Sept. 16 (a month after the deadline) to officially call them 'No Shows' just in case some are stuck in slow mail.

I'll be happy to participate and will volunteer to be the "Post Box" if no one else does.

This sounds like a good way to remedy a very unfair situation.

Jazzcat, thanks for your input, and your suggestion for a dealine - as you said to make sure nothing is just delayed in the mail.

Thanks for offering to be our "Post Box" too! Hopefully we get enough people participating to make this worthwhile.

Thanks dukedogsmom for responding too - I was getting worried when I didn't get any replies for HOURS after I posted this, but I'm HOPING that it's just the time difference, and not that people don 't want to participate!!

dukedogsmom
09-04-2004, 08:33 AM
You're quite welcome. It's just now 9:30 here and I just got up :p

Amber
09-04-2004, 09:05 AM
good idea, but...

I want to see if my package gets their first, if it doesn't then I'm just going to re-send with different gitfts to her.

Jods
09-04-2004, 09:10 AM
If You need more gifts I can send some I missed the gift swap, it was before I joined.... Just PM the post box addy. I'd love to help.
:D :D

micki76
09-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Great idea Julie! A few of us in chat the other night talked about sending gifts to non receivers also.

Lori, if you're busy, I'll certainly be the post office. I usually make at least one trip a day to the P O for work anyway, so it would be easy for me to mail the packages.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-04-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Amber
good idea, but...

I want to see if my package gets their first, if it doesn't then I'm just going to re-send with different gitfts to her.

Thanks Amber! PLEASE don't feel this was directed at you - there is a BIG difference between those who DO send, and the package gets lost, and those who don't send, and are rude about it or just stop communicating!

Julie

sirrahbed
09-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Great idea Julie! I am always picking up little gifts and would be happy to contribute.

anna_66
09-04-2004, 09:26 AM
I think this is a terrific idea!

I had actually pm'd Kay about sending something to one of the people who hadn't gotten anything and didn't think they were going to be. So of course I would be more than happy to participate:D

jazzcat
09-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by micki76
Lori, if you're busy, I'll certainly be the post office. I usually make at least one trip a day to the P O for work anyway, so it would be easy for me to mail the packages.
Sounds like it would be easier for you to do it. I'll be glad to help in any way I can and count me in for sending gifts and shipping money.

Amber
09-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
Thanks Amber! PLEASE don't feel this was directed at you - there is a BIG difference between those who DO send, and the package gets lost, and those who don't send, and are rude about it or just stop communicating!

Julie

Don't worry Julie, i know what you mean. :)

aly
09-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Wonderful idea Julie! I'd also be willing to help out.

Karen
09-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Me, too!

ComedyDevil
09-04-2004, 05:44 PM
How long would something take to ship from the UK?

The gift swap was right after I joined, so I didn't want to sign up until I knew people better. I think its terrible that someone who spent time and money choosing gifts for someone else should end up with nothing, so the dogs and I would like to send something. :)

Corinna
09-04-2004, 06:43 PM
I'll help with postage if need bee. Just PM me.

CathyBogart
09-04-2004, 08:03 PM
I would love to help out! I missed this gift swap 'cause I was moving, but I certainly don't mind sending for people who didn't get theirs!

wolfie
09-04-2004, 08:16 PM
You people are all so sweet! ^_^

I might still get my giftswap though, since 2 people (I think) sent a while ago and they could just be slow in getting here. (Don't know if they had me though!)

wolf_Q
09-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Good idea! There's already one person that I and a few others were planning on getting stuff for. I don't have the list of who was sending to who, so I'm not sure whats going on with the others. Kay has sent pms to everyone, she knows more of what's going on then I do. So when she gets back we can figure it all out. You guys are the best, thanks for being so generous!

shais_mom
09-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Count me in.... :)

teenster3
09-05-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't know if I should admit to this on here but, I didn't receive & I already know that I won't.
PLEASE...don't take this the wrong way but, pter's do not need to send to me. I already feel bad enough & want to cry about the way I feel like I ruined this whole "gift swap" for others on here. I never meant for any of this to happen. :(
Just PLEASE put me on a list to give gifts to others!!!!!
Thank You!:)
Tina B.

wolf_Q
09-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by teenster3
I don't know if I should admit to this on here but, I didn't receive & I already know that I won't.
PLEASE...don't take this the wrong way but, pter's do not need to send to me. I already feel bad enough & want to cry about the way I feel like I ruined this whole "gift swap" for others on here. I never meant for any of this to happen. :(
Just PLEASE put me on a list to give gifts to others!!!!!
Thank You!:)
Tina B.

Tina, you did NOT ruin it for others on here, please don't think that. It is not your fault the person sending to you has acted so immaturely. You sent a wonderful gift to your person, and you deserve to receive something. :)

I'm sorry this has turned into such a mess. :o

shais_mom
09-05-2004, 11:54 PM
While this is a mess it is definately NOT Tina or Amy's fault at all. Not one bit and neither of you should feel that it is....
{{{{hugs to you}}}

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-06-2004, 01:25 AM
Let's try and get something POSITIVE out of the mess;) As it seems we have enough people interested, I am sure it will work out.

Names so far are:
Ally Cat's Mommy
jazzcat
dukedogsmom
micki76
sirrahbed
anna_66
aly
Karen
Corinna
wolf_q
shais_mom
teenster3

And VERY generously from people who DIDN'T participate in the original swap, but still want to send something to those who didn't get anything:

Jods
Comedy Devil
WolfChan

BTW, Comedy Devil, mail from the UK to USA can take anywhere from 5 days onwards, depending on which method of post you use.

Once Kay gets back from her trip I'll PM her and start to work on the logistics. As mentioned before, let's finalise the list of those who didn't receive by 16th September, ie one month after the original cut-off date.

Thanks everyone!!

Julie

kimlovescats
09-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Julie .... I am just now reading this, and would love to help in some way as well! Please include my name!

Kim;)

NoahsMommy
09-08-2004, 02:58 PM
ooh! I can help too! Just let me know when. :)

MariaM
09-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
ooh! I can help too! Just let me know when. :)

Ditto!:D

Kfamr
09-08-2004, 09:20 PM
I want to thank everyone for your concern and willingness to send gifts to those who unfortunately have not recieved.

Amy and I are currently working things out and so far there are 4 who have not recieved.

One person has said it will be sent tomorrow.

Another said it has been sent but there has been no word from the person she sent to.

The other has said she will send but not sure when.

and there's one who will not be sent to for sure.

But, like I said, Amy and I will be working this out and if we do indeed need help with sending gifts to these people (4 people total) we will let you all know. :)

Again, thank you for being so concerned and generous.

And, btw, it's NO ONES fault besides those who did decided not to follow through with the deadline.