PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor got a new puppy..ugh...

pitc9
09-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Normaly I would LOVE to have a new puppy to watch grow up, but unfortunaly for me... the neighbors that got a new puppy, are the ones with the dog that jumps on my fence.
I've posted before about their dog, a White GSD named Blizzard and my dogs getting into fights OVER our fence. All three have been hurt. Blizzard had the only trip to the ER, with her owners spending $350 to have her face stiched back together. Sierra has had several small wounds, Buddy has only had one, but it was when Blizzard grabbed his foot under our fence and would not let go. We went to the vet for that one!
So now.... the new puppy is going to grow up watching Blizzard and do everything she does!! Which will include jumping on the fence, running up and down the fence barking and growling while my dogs try to give chase!! AHHHHHH
IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!
My hubby and I spent $3000 to fence our yard in so our dogs can have a wonderful back yard to play in and I don't have to worry about them getting hurt!! WRONG!! When I let my dogs out, I have to go outside with them, and stand by the fence and stop any fights before they start!!!! Not ONE person in their family even thinks about watching the dog, or keeping her away from the fence. ... any way... I've gone on about this before... I guess I just needed to vent! I just hope the new puppy is different!
Here's pictures of my yard:

This is looking out my back door.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid130/pf0b23a70033fc280bc7d920b339d89d2/f7b83b68.jpg

We went 6' with the fence as far as zoning would let us (we are on a corner lot) Where the fence drops down to 4' is where they all meet to fight!!

This picture shows all the dogs in action... the house you see is Blizzard's house
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid130/pa0a537380cd81d4b105baa29fb7b966b/f7b83b7b.jpg

Buddy and Blizzard barking at each other under the fence
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid130/p25d7a4c0297c12b43ce61dde7b283c13/f7b83b6c.jpg

Where all three dig at the dirt to get to each other. You can see the logs and bricks we have to keep putting back.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid130/p0a93b06474d045cf1ffbc4e29703f815/f7b83e08.jpg

Sierra peeking through the slits in the fence, watching for Blizzard.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid130/pe75c87e8848985f17d320f3fa7235e0b/f7b83df8.jpg

We have a large yard for them to play in, but when Blizzard comes outside next door... all they want to do is run and bark... ugh...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid130/p173beeb0723edf09a3005ed05da0a685/f7b83e14.jpg

I try to get them to stop.. try to train them to stay away from the fence... nothing works.. I've sprayed stuff on the fence that's supposed to keep them away.. Yeah... Right!

Sorry this has been so long... I just needed to vent!
Thanks!

LorraineO
09-03-2004, 09:56 AM
wow... that has ot be so frustrating for all concerned!! I am sorry you have to go thru this,,, I wish I could offer a cure for it,, but I am at a bit of a loss... all dogs seem to be looking for trouble and thats one VERY hard thing to break,, esp if the neighbours arent helping! Can you put up some wire fencing along the inside of the fence on your side? it wouldnt be attractive and all,, but it might help? Like burying the wire up to say a foot or so deep intoi the ground?? I know that chicken wire is a big turn off to dogs as it bothers thier feet to touch,, wont help the jumping tho.....

4 Dog Mother
09-03-2004, 09:58 AM
That has to be frustrating especially if your dogs are getting hurt. Carl bought dog kennels for an area of our yard and using the house as one side has been able to make a fairly large area for them - would it be possible to buy a kennel and put it near that area using the fence as one side so your dogs can't get up to that part of the fence? It would be an inconvenience in mowing and in expense but it might help solve the problem - but that area might be too long for that idea too.

4 Dog Mother
09-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Another thought would be something I saw on TV in making a flower bed - you put one brick flat and one on it's side behind it to block grass from growing into your flowerbed but you can mow along the flat brick. If you bought some of those stepping stones and buried them along that area on their sides, the dogs hopefully not be able to dig them out. I am not sure what you could do about the jumping!

pitc9
09-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I would love to rig up something on the fence that would spray water on the dogs when they touch it. My two HATE water... but Blizzard loves it... ugh... I swear one day I am going to flip out and put up electric fence along the top of the fence!!!!

(I know... I know it's mean... neighbor kids could get hurt...etc. I don't think I would ever do that)

micki76
09-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Frustrating isn't it? We have one like that that we share a fence with, too.

We have a wood fence, but we had to put up a fence to keep the dogs from the fence! For a temporary fix until we could afford chain link, we put up either chicken wire or that orange construction fencing. They're both fairly cheap, but the orange fencing is at least lightweight and easy to handle. Might be a thought. We're getting ready to plant shrubs along the chain link to cover it up some.

It's ugly since Michael hasn't finished it yet. You can see it in all it's ugliness in this pic, lol. We're putting up a new cedar fence soon, and the people who are doing it will be finishing the chain link, too finally. :rolleyes: We're not replacing the fence that we share with these neighbors, but will be powerwashing our side and sealing the old fence.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid135/p9edd42bbb2df4b34e97577cce609a636/f7659cbb.jpg

dukedogsmom
09-03-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm afraid the best suggestion is another type of fence before the other fence. It's so unfair to you since the horrible neighbors are the ones causing the problem. I feel sorry for Blizzard who obviously doesn't have a good home. There's also some fencing I've seen used with horses. It's made up of small squares of thick wire. I don't know how expensive it is, though.

Smilla
09-03-2004, 11:02 AM
What a pity! It would be such a great doggie background, if not for the problems you are having. I don't have any good suggestions, I'm afraid, except what about an invisible fence *inside* the perimeter of your physical one? It might be expensive, though, and frankly you shouldn't have to have two fences! :mad:

pitc9
09-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Smilla
It might be expensive, though, and frankly you shouldn't have to have two fences! :mad:

:mad: Ohhh I know!

If we have to put up another fence.... it's going to come out of their pockets one way or another!! I PROMISE!

She has come to ME telling me that we (meaning both houses) have to do somthing to keep the dogs safe. HELLO!! Why do you think we put the fence up in the first place!! She is such a ding bat anyway... she bought her kids baby ducks for easter a few years back and after the first winter she asked me if I knew why they didn't fly south for the winter!:rolleyes: Yeah... that's what I'm dealing with!

LorraineO
09-03-2004, 11:20 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Oh my Gawd!!! she actually asked you why the ducks didnt go south.... Oh man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek: :eek: :eek:

Samantha Puppy
09-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by pitc9
She is such a ding bat anyway... she bought her kids baby ducks for easter a few years back and after the first winter she asked me if I knew why they didn't fly south for the winter!:rolleyes: ROFLMAO!!!!

Dot
09-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Just a thought -- how about spraying your fence with the repellant you can buy to keep animals from using shrubs and bushes for their bathroom? The smell might be unpleasant enough that the dogs wouldn't want to spend much time there.

If it works for your dogs, you might be able to get permission to spray your neighbor's side of the fence, too. It IS your fence, after all!

:-Dot

pitc9
09-03-2004, 01:01 PM
I've done that... I've even sprayed it ON their dog :p once when her nose was up aginst the fence!!! She sneezed, growled at me and never moved away from the fence!!!!!

It didn't bother any of them at all!
I also used a mixture of water, ammonia on the fence and on their side too, and STILL nothing!

They just hate each other so bad that nothing is going to stop them!

dappledoxie
09-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Ugh, all I know to say is that sucks big time! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, geeze....

I want to get a fence for moms backyard so Claire and Rebel can run and play safely but I bet mom would have a heartattack. lol (She'd say don't mess up my yard, ummm ok, it's not like you use it for anything lol!!!)

KYS
09-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Not sure if any of these are an option for you.

I have a wood fence too.

I have 3 different ways along my wood fence to
keep the dogs in their yard.

cement pavers along the fence: more costly but
looks decent.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/kbursk/fencepavers.jpg

Dig a small trench along the fence and pour cement:
(cement does not touch fence)
My cement is old but it still works.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/kbursk/cementfence1.jpg

attach chicken wire to the botton of the fence letting 1 foot or so on the ground and covering it with railroad ties.
Doesn't look the best, but it is cheap and you can
use ground cover to hide it).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/kbursk/fencechickenwire.jpg

LorraineO
09-03-2004, 06:28 PM
the chicken wire idea,, that was exactly what I meant when I posted earlier,,, just didnt know how to describe what I meant,, til I saw the pics KYS posted,,,,,

chocolatepuppy
09-03-2004, 06:40 PM
pitc9 I feel your pain. Recently I posted about the neighbors grandson on one side of us giving us problems. A few years ago(when we first put up the fence) our neighbor has this vicious beast that came after my dogs! I hauled dirt and filled in under the fence and had bricks lining it! Her dog would come 8 feet on my property to go around the wooden back fence to get to the chain link side! The dog now has a bad heart and has to keep from running around so she now keeps it away from the fence!
Right now both of my dog's are leashed, Mandy for her heart and Lacey for her leg so we aren't having any problems walking the two of them in the fence:rolleyes: But I sure never dreamed when we spent $2,000. on a fence to keep our dogs safe and able to run loose that everything OUTSIDE of the fence would be our greatest problem! I wish you luck in finding a solution.

Christiansmommy
09-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but could you buy some shrubs that grown tall and wide to plant infront of the fence, in time, it would form a hedge...so the dogs couldnt get to the fence...

pitc9
09-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Shrubs sound like a good idea to keep them away from the fence, and the chicken wire sounds good to keep them from digging.

I think in stead of us having to look at the chicken wire, I am going to put it on the neighbors side of the fence!!! HA HA!!:D

If only we didn't live on a corner lot, then we could have gone with the 6' wood fence all the way down their yard and all I'd have to deal with would be them digging under the fence, but noooooo:rolleyes: I have to keep them from fighting with each other when they stand up and fight OVER the fence too! Ahhhhhh!!

She even once had the nerve to ask me why didn't we spend a little more money and go 6' all the way to the road :mad: :mad:
HELLO!!! YOU can spend some money now!!! We are over $3300 now, and them... one $350 trip to the ER with Blizzard.

The hubby and I have been talking about moving for a little while.
We'd like more land, and less neighbors :p

anna_66
09-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Oh Angie, I feel your pain. When we were having such problems with the GSD's next door it just about drove me nuts! Thankfully the female went with the boyfriend when he left so that just leaves the male (Max) and he's not as bad as he used to be and she actually watches him much more since I said I would be calling the warden if I caught him in my yard again!
We did put some tall bushes, gravel & electric wire on one side of our yard (but the electric wire is all the way around the yard-top and bottom, so I don't think that's mean at all) to keep Angus from always running & barking after the neighbors grandson when he was over there (hey, he just wanted to play;)).

Here's a picture of it all the way down
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/P9040037.jpg
and one straight on
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/P9040038.jpg
I hope you can figure something out.

But I really think the electric wire would do the job!

shais_mom
09-04-2004, 02:27 PM
That totally stinks Angie! :(
I can't imagine having horrible neighbors like that. I have a guy beside me that's a little different but is nice enough. I am very fortunate, I suppose.
I really don't have any advice - altho I think that Electric fence Anna put up is a good start. Or the shrubs so that they can't get near the fence, but that would also need some upkeep. :confused:
I just can't imagine.....

pitc9
09-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Wow Anna that looks nice!!

Did you two do it yourselves or did you have someone do it?

Since my hubby is an electrician, the electric fence shold be no problem... it's just that we are afraid of the neighbor kids touching it, and getting zapped. They have three kids, 13, 10 and 6. And they always have a yard full of neighborhood kids because they have a pool, trampoline, and a basketball court:rolleyes: Even if we put signs up, little kids that can't read may still touch it.
Anna, have you even had anone touch the fence? How many volts does it put out?