PDA

View Full Version : biking with your dog - advice please

guster girl
09-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Hey, all! I want to get a bicycle in the next couple of months. And, I would like to be able to run Finn alongside it. If anyone has any advice on how to train him to run with me or any products that people have used or heard of, I want as much advice as I can get! Here's something I have found online:

http://www.dog-training.com/springer.htm

Problem is, it doesn't seem like it would prevent your dog from running too close to the bike or running in front of it....any suggestions?

Uabassoon
09-02-2004, 05:03 PM
This is supposed to be good. I think Anna uses it when she takes Roxy for runs
http://www.bikerdog.com/

anna_66
09-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Yep, that's what we have and it's great! We've never had any problems with it before and Roxey loves it:D

guster girl
09-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the site! I'm going to order that very soon! I need to do a little research and find out if there are any bike paths close by, though. I don't know if I want to have to go into the expense of getting a bike rack for my car if the paths are far off. My neighborhood would be alright, I'd just prefer bike paths. And, it would be easier on Finn's paws. Although, I know a girl who had her pit bull run with her and she had canvas boots on his feet so it wouldn't wear down his pads. Finn does that all the time at the dog park. I have to constantly check his paws. The boy doesn't know the meaning of moderation. ;)

Smilla
09-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Ooh! What a great thread! I didn't realize there were products to help you bike with your dog. It would be a great way to let Lefty use up some of his Greyhound energy. Thanks for thinking to ask, guster girl!

guster girl
09-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Hey, I know what you mean about using us some energy. I'm telling you, Finn and I will spend three hours at the dog park and he MIGHT give me 30 minutes of peace. ;) But, he's still only 8 months old.....and, this will be a good way to exercise us both!

dogs_4_me
09-02-2004, 07:20 PM
I didn't even know there was stuff to help while bike riding with your dog. Its a great thing to do. Emma loves it.

Glacier
09-02-2004, 09:13 PM
The Springer ROCKS!!!! I have one and I use it all summer long. It keeps the dogs right beside the bike and out of harms way. I even use mine with my dog aggressive 120 pound malamute. I can get Kayleigh by other dogs, people ect with no problems.

I bypass the safety release thing that comes with it. I'd rather take a fall than have Kayleigh get loose. Never been an issue yet though.

wolf_Q
09-02-2004, 09:31 PM
I also have a bikerdog and it works great for Nebo! However, my friend ordered one to use with her german shorthair, Lady. Lady ended up breaking it...but she's a pretty wild dog!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-02-2004, 10:08 PM
When my bro rides with Abby she is scared, so we put two 4 foot leashes together and she keeps herself a safe distance away. It's nice riding with her, she gets good excersize and it's not so hard for me! :p

guster girl
09-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Maybe I'm just not seeing it right, but, how do these things keep the dog from running too close to the bike? i can see how they are able to keep the dog from other people or whatever or running too far or tipping the bike, etc. But, it still seems like they'd be able to get too close to the bike or just out in front of it. I'm definitely going to have to have someone help me with Finn, because it'll be the first time he's done anything like that. Maybe leash him, too, and, run beside him while he's attatched to the bike and running beside me. I don't know, I hope to start soon...

cloverfdx
09-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Just be carefull on his little puppy joints still though ;). And have fun.

guster girl
09-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Oh, for sure. His health and safety is paramount, as is mine. I have no plans for marathon biking. ;) After seeing if he'll even like it and not act like a clown, it'll just be a ten minute leisurely bike ride to start out with.

cali
09-03-2004, 06:55 PM
I just use a leash and training lol well Misty I attach a 4 foot lead to her haltie, and I tire the handle of the leash in a certain way(cant describe it lol) on my handle bar its in such a way that it gives Misty enugh length without to much length, and it comes undone easy and gives my a perfect handle loop to stick my hand through so I still have control of her. she is also trained not to go to close to the bike or to pull of go ahead of the bike, I just stop and give a a talking for that lol and now she is well behaved, Happy trots leash free beside my bike, she is trained to trot always on the right had side of my bike, and right beside me at all times, she knows exactly how she is to bahave when I am biking. the reason is when she is on leash she will go after another dog she see's while I am on my bike, and she could end up huting both of us if that happens, however off leash I have perfect voice control over her, she knows the biking commands(over-move closer to the side of the road, out-move out toward the middle of the road to avoid glass or something) if I see another dog I just pull over grab her scruff and order her to leave it, in 3 years I have yet to have a problem with it lol of coarse I started only allowing her off the leash on the bike path, but on the way to the path it was like almost walking my bike the whole way because she would pull and would'nt listen to her voice commands. she is actually really good, she knows how she can behave where, on he road she is pn perfect obedience trotting in a perfect heel, stopping at cornors not crossing streets without my permission etc.. but on the bike path she is allowed to run around all over the place, there is no requirment of her running beside my bike lol its a really good way to reduce her energy and fast by the way! there are big circle in our path I will ride really fast around and around these circles and Happy has to try and keep up! lol within minuts that little energy spring is collapsed in the middle of the feild(all grass in the middle of the circle) staring at me still circling, lol

Buddy Blaze Lover
09-04-2004, 10:26 AM
I just use a long leash for Blaze, and he's never had any trouble. I would let him run off-leash, but he gets distracted easily! (and loves to chase other animals!) I definitely have to be cautious, but Blaze loves it and steers clear of the wheels anyway! :D