PDA

View Full Version : Cat flu

Rose
08-02-2000, 05:01 AM
It seems that my cat is infected with 'cat flu'. The symptoms include sneezing and a runny discharge from one of his eyes. He looks depressed.

I understand that this is in fact a virus infection for which there is no cure, unless a cat manages to develop enough antibodies to fight off the disease.

Does anybody have any experience / advice relating to cat flu?

------------------
=/\../\=

Pieper's Mom
08-02-2000, 01:14 PM
Rose, you really need to get him to a vet as soon as possible...cats can get sick very fast...at the shelter the little ones often get "colds" and the vets give them meds for it...so it could be just a small infection or upper respiratory irritation...but only a vet can tell you for sure.

------------------
"Cats are rather delicate creatures and can have many ailments, but I've never heard of one with insomnia." Joseph Wood Krutch

Rose
08-03-2000, 02:47 AM
Thank you, Pieper's Mom, for your advice. Unfortunately, our cat is a stray and lives outdoors most of the time. We have only just started his 'cage training', but have not yet been able to make him go right into the cage, let alone close the door and move him.

However, he seems to be better today. There is no more discharge from his eyes and he looked a lot more perky when I dished out his breakfast.

Thanks again for your advice. We will continue with the training in case he needs to be taken to the vet at some stage.

Rose

------------------
=/\../\=

Troy
08-03-2000, 09:12 AM
Hello Rose. Both of my cats were diagnosed with the cat-flu when they (and I) were living in the UK about 4 years ago. They are both still fine and apart from some snuffles every now-and-then they are happy and kitten-like at the age of 8...so just remember, they can be just like us with our winter colds and flus - annoying but not too serious. But, as Pieper's Mom says, when(if) you get the chance you should take them to a vet.

Troy.

Rose
08-03-2000, 10:53 AM
Troy,

Many thanks for your message!

Regards

Rose

------------------
=/\../\=

Pieper's Mom
08-04-2000, 03:32 PM
Well, I'm glad the little guys is feeling better...mine have only been indoor cats, but I sure can sympathize with getting yours in a cage...my absolutely hates it! Not so much once she's in, but getting there is a challenge! Good luck! (And keep us posted)

------------------
"Cats are rather delicate creatures and can have many ailments, but I've never heard of one with insomnia." Joseph Wood Krutch

Pieper's Mom
08-04-2000, 03:34 PM
Sorry about all the mispronunciations and bad English...is it time to go home yet? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

------------------

Rose
08-07-2000, 09:34 AM
Hi Pieper's Mom and many thanks for your kind messages. Yes, the little guy is feeling much better and purring loudly. He still sneezes from time to time, but otherwise things are back to normal. Will keep you posted about the cage training.

In any case, my company just closed the office in this country (UK) and as of today, I am working from home. Perhaps that will make him stay in more than in the past.

All the best

Rose

------------------
=/\../\=